Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 206 Old 11-30-08, 08:45 PM
Senior Shackster

J. Hunter

Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

Wish I had already did this...got my sub going tonight. Still have some finish work to do yet but I thought I'd go ahead and try this baby out. Sounds real good WHEN you can hear over this EP1500 stock fan.

Needless to say I got the FBA08A24L1A on order from Digi-key. I guess I'm gonna take apart on old sub and run my new sub off an old amp till the part arrives...I gather running it without a fan is a no no even at light load.

EDIT:

Got the fan in and installation was pretty easy. Fan mod cut the noise in half...still audible from about 8 feet away but tolerable. No louder than my PS3.

Last edited by Hunter844; 12-06-08 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 206 Old 12-06-08, 01:04 PM
Shackster
Bill

Are there any concerns with running a fan at ~1/2 the CFM and Back pressure? I don't know the circuit, but unless the circuit is looking at the temp, this mod would seem to put internal components in jeopardy.
Anyone have this mod installed and more than a couple months of use to put my mind at ease before performing the mod.
I think I am going to talk to a couple of reps from work and see if they can find a closer match to the original fan with less db's.
post #93 of 206 Old 12-21-08, 07:41 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

Have any Aussies done this mod, if so where did you get the fan from?

Thanks.

Hakka.

post #94 of 206 Old 12-29-08, 01:47 PM
Senior Shackster
dd

So how has this been working for everyone else?

I can tell you, it was not good for me. I would eventually get red clip lights (these also come on when it starts to temp out) and then it would mute for a few seconds and comeback online. The first error for me was reversing the flow. When I used the "improved" fan with it blowing cold air in to the sinks, it worked 95% better. I would still get an occasional red light and the corresponding mute. I really thought it was some weird clipping problem, but it would happen sometimes with no audio present.

The fan I got from digi key draws quite a bit less power, and thus moves much less air.

Putting the original fan back in completely eliminated the problem. Now, I drive it pretty hard into a single 12" sub, but even lightly over time, the problem would show up.

Now I just have to move the amp into my shop area and run long wires.
post #95 of 206 Old 12-29-08, 02:37 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Never had any issues with the Digi-Key fan here... ran it for about 18-19 months (now sold) on a pair of 15's. Rodny got his at the same time and has ran his on 4 x 15's since (almost 2 years) and he has not mentioned any issues... and he just installed the same fan in my new EP2500 last week. We will see how it works out for us.
post #96 of 206 Old 01-04-09, 05:24 PM
Shackster
Shank

Just did mine,using 80mm 24vdc @21db fan. Removed the screws, spliced the wires (fan came with bare wires), and joined the connectors to the plug. All in all, 35min job. the EP2500 is now a lot quieter than using the original fan, and thats with the cover off.
post #97 of 206 Old 01-11-09, 11:40 PM
Shackster
Ben

Re: Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500

For the aussies, RS components stock the papst fan stock # 299-1403. Awaiting my EP2500 will let you know after i mod mine with this fan.(papst part #8414NGL 1500rpm 12db 24vdc).
post #98 of 206 Old 01-12-09, 07:42 AM
Senior Shackster
dd

I returned it to stock, and now have ZERO problems.
I did have to move 20' away into another room however.
I have since beat the holy snot out of it, and it chugs along graciously.

If any of you ever see a red light, and you doubt it is clipping, you have to increase its breathing!

The amp (any amp) generates a LOT of heat, even more so with an amp of this magnitude. The fan is the only way to get rid of it in this design. There are no convection forces at work like a conventional amp. I feel very lucky to have figured it out before I let any magic smoke out.
post #99 of 206 Old 01-12-09, 01:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Well, the newark fan has worked flawlessly for me for ~4 months. Not once have I heard the fan from seating position and not once have I had any clipping or overheating.
post #100 of 206 Old 01-12-09, 02:24 PM
Senior Shackster
dd

I'm sure that for many, or most even, it works.

I just want everyone aware that there is a potential for problems. If you see red, you know where to start looking.