Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 206 Old 07-10-09, 03:40 PM
Ace

Re: Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500

First, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I love the internet. I found out about these amps on another forum and one of the members on that forum did a lot of bench testing comparing about 10 amps. He benched the amps at 2/4/8 ohms and regular and bridged. This amp is a FANTASTIC bargain compared to the Crown K2, Velodyne SC-1250 and a couple of others. The amps more than held its own and for under $300 it is a no brainer as a sub amp.

But, the fan is annoying. So thank you for sharing your experiences about replacing yours!

I do have a question regarding fans. I researched Papst fans and found the following 24volt 80x80x25 fans.

[Part] [V] [m/h] [dB(A)] [Bel] [mm]
8414 NGL 24 DC 33 12 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NL 24 DC 33 17 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NGML 24 DC 45 19 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NML 24 DC 45 21 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NGM 24 DC 58 26 4,3 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NM 24 DC 58 27 4,4 80 x 80 x 25
8414 N 24 DC 69 32 4,7 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NG 24 DC 69 32 4,7 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NH 24 DC 79 37 5 80 x 80 x 25
8414 NH-221 24 DC 79 37 5 80 x 80 x 25

So, is the 8414 NGL ok, or does it not have a high enough CFM? I'd like to use it if it does. Otherwise, I think the 8414 NGML would work.

What do you think? Newark carries Papst fans! So, I just need to know if the 8414 NGL/NGML will work. They are a little more expensive, but with a higher flow and lower noise level the extra $10 wouldn't bother me over the next few years.

If neither Papst will work, I will go ahead and buy the NMB - FBA08A24L1A from Newark as suggested.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by Aceboympk; 07-10-09 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 206 Old 07-10-09, 05:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I am only familiar with the fan from Digi-Key NMB - FBA08A24L1A... Digi-Key part number P9739-ND.

If the manufacturers part number is the same, then certainly the fan should be the same.

I do not know the requirements needed... but I do know the fans I have ordered from Digi-Key are plenty quite for the four EP2500's I run that are located on an open shelf just ten feet in front of me. I have not had any over-heating issues thus far.
post #123 of 206 Old 07-11-09, 03:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

This is off topic, but do you have to do the fan mod with the Crown XLS802D Series?

Thanks

post #124 of 206 Old 07-13-09, 08:45 AM
Shackster

mosconiac

If my calculations are correct, the NMB does 40 m3/h at 21dBA. This is a proven solution so I would try to at least meet this.

The 8414 NGL is good for 33 m3/h at 12 dBA. Very quiet, but falls a little short of the NMB. It might work, but it would be a gamble.

The 8414 NGML is good for 45 m3/h at 19 dBA. More flow and less noise than the NMB...but more the twice the cost ($20 vs $8.68)...and I couldn't find a pic on Newark to confirm it is the correct shape.
post #125 of 206 Old 07-21-09, 10:42 PM
Ace

Quote:
mosconiac wrote: View Post
If my calculations are correct, the NMB does 40 m3/h at 21dBA. This is a proven solution so I would try to at least meet this.

The 8414 NGL is good for 33 m3/h at 12 dBA. Very quiet, but falls a little short of the NMB. It might work, but it would be a gamble.

The 8414 NGML is good for 45 m3/h at 19 dBA. More flow and less noise than the NMB...but more the twice the cost ($20 vs $8.68)...and I couldn't find a pic on Newark to confirm it is the correct shape.
I agree with your analysis. However, I'm a little confused when you wrote, "confirm it is the correct shape."

I have communicate with the folks at Papst, so I can get a pic a post it on here if you'd like, but don't fans come in one shape? Why would Papst manufacture a completely different fan shape in the same line? Again, I'l write them an email and let you guys know if it is a different shape.

That being said, I may pick up the 12 dBA b/c I don't want to hear the fan at all and I'm concerned that I'l hear it if it is at 19 dBA. Unless you guys think I have nothing to worry about a 19 dBA. The amp sits about 10' away from me.

I highly doubt I'm going to run amp that hard because it is used to drive very effiicient speakers on my Zu Definition Pro speakers. In fact, the amp only drives the woofer array and I can't use too much wattage for the woofers b/c my front array (MTM) is being driven by a Yamamoto A-08S that puts out a whopping 2 watts per channel.

Regards,
Mark
post #126 of 206 Old 07-22-09, 12:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Dont worry about 19db. its inside the amp, in the back, in a rack away from you. 19db will not really be heard at all. I would be very surprised if you could hear it from 10 feet away. But you also have to think that the 12db one will be just about as good at cooling as in reality these amps dont get even warm even with spirited output. Mine does not get hot unless i am watching some reference material where i turn the sub up to its limits to show it off a bit. Either way youll be just fine.
post #127 of 206 Old 07-22-09, 01:38 PM
Ace

I wrote to Papst asking for pics or a URL that contains pics so I can post them here. Then hopefully we can confirm the shape.

I don't mind spending $20 vs. $10 on a fan if it is going to *nearly* eliminate the fan noise. Nothing worse than hearing the fan as the volume in a song or piece of music diminishes.

Other than the fan noise, this amp has really impressed me. I hope this doesn't sound like boasting because I don't intend it to be. Rather it is a compliment. This amp is a part of my $35k stereo system and I seriously couldn't be more satisfied.

I'll post the pics or the URL as soon as I hear back from Papst.

Regards,
Mark
post #128 of 206 Old 07-31-09, 07:09 AM
Shackster
Mike

I am also doing this mod soon. However, I have noticed that in the fans people have suggested the mounting system is different in some. Here are two examples, which one do we need?

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=31K9990

or

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...4L1A&x=25&y=13

-Mike
post #129 of 206 Old 08-05-09, 07:00 PM
Shackster
Brendan

Here's another idea (from someone who is just about to order their own EP4000), what about a 12cm externally mounted 24v fan ?

I'm pretty sure you can get shroud that brings it back to 8cm, which you mount up against the back of the case where the internal fan is.

You gut an old 8cm fan or make your own extended shroud to ensure that you're sucking the air all the way through the 'tunnel'.

Larger fans tend to be always a bit quieter than a smaller fan, and also move more air than a smaller fan can.

You can also choose how you supply power to the externally mounted fan, either by through the existing fan slot then through a small hole in the shroud, or by a plugpack/wallwart, in which case you go for a 12v fan with a 9v or 12v plugpack.

Since all of this is out of reach of prying kid fingers, being at the back of your cabinet or rack, then I can't really see any safety issues.

With this idea of externally powered, you have the options of many different 12v fans, both 8cm and 12cm with a shroud, which should be a whole lot cheaper than 24v fans.

post #130 of 206 Old 08-06-09, 12:58 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

That's a very good idea. A large fan will move alot more air far more quietly than a smaller one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.