Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 206 Old 04-17-10, 12:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500

Quote:
GPM wrote: View Post
Dunno, I see all three...........

GM

Hmm. Oh well.

I just got the mod done and the amp put back together. Boy...what a difference. Now I don't hear that old fan all the time. Its practically silent. Even with my ear right up against the amp. Now I will be able to hear my music when its a low volumes I also ran a 10-15hz test tone for about 30 seconds, with the sub near full excursion, so the amp was near full power also, and the fan got just a little bit louder. Not much at all. I still can't hear it, and I'm les than a yard away from the amp.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 206 Old 04-17-10, 01:17 AM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Which fan? I've an old Altec studio reference amp that's been collecting dust because of a noisy fan.

TIA,

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #163 of 206 Old 04-17-10, 02:16 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dylan,

I think so. All that happens is that the fan will blow in reverse. The air needs to blow from back to front. On my fan there was an arrow to show the direction of air flow which made it easier.

cheers

Graham

post #164 of 206 Old 04-17-10, 03:55 AM
Shackster

Steve

Just completed the mod on both my EP4000's.
What an amazing difference!

It took maybe 10mins per amp.

Highly recommended!

The Picture: Epson TW-3000, 120" OZTS Majestic w/Evo3d, HTPC & NAS, Toshiba XE1 HD-DVD
The Sound: Denon AVR-2310 & Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm Monitor 11, CC-390, ADP-390 Dipole's
The Rumble!: SVS AS-EQ1 SubEQ, Samson S-Convert, 2x Behringer EP4000's & Dual Sealed 175ltr 18" Maelstrom-X Subwoofer's (In Construction)
post #165 of 206 Old 04-17-10, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
GPM wrote: View Post
Which fan? I've an old Altec studio reference amp that's been collecting dust because of a noisy fan.

TIA,

GM
I got the fan from Ironglen (Thanks again!!), and its the fan linked in post number 2.

Here's the link to it.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=P9739-ND

Build log:

post #166 of 206 Old 05-05-10, 02:27 AM
dfn
Shackster
dfn

I would like to mod my EP4000, but I've seen numerous fan models, and aside from the manufacturer specs, I don't know anything about them.

These are the models I am able to purchase:

NMB P9739-ND
NMB FBA08A24L1A
EBM PAPST TYP8414L
EBM PAPST 8414NGL
SANYO DENKI 109R0824M402

I don't trust manufacturer specs (past experience with computer case fans), so I'm wondering if someone here can tell me which of the above they think is best and why?

Also, this is a little OT, but do any of those manufacturers make decent, quiet, 200mm-230mm fans, 900rpm or less?
post #167 of 206 Old 08-22-10, 12:46 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
dfn wrote: View Post
I would like to mod my EP4000, but I've seen numerous fan models, and aside from the manufacturer specs, I don't know anything about them.

These are the models I am able to purchase:

NMB P9739-ND
NMB FBA08A24L1A
EBM PAPST TYP8414L
EBM PAPST 8414NGL
SANYO DENKI 109R0824M402

I don't trust manufacturer specs (past experience with computer case fans), so I'm wondering if someone here can tell me which of the above they think is best and why?

Also, this is a little OT, but do any of those manufacturers make decent, quiet, 200mm-230mm fans, 900rpm or less?
Hello
whay not use a computer fan like this http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...ts_id=9&lng=en

And put a resistor on 2w/100 ohm on power cord red to the fan so it works in 12v
post #168 of 206 Old 09-21-10, 02:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

I just Opened up my tapco J2500 to see if they used the same fan since it's also a QSC RMX 2450 clone..

it uses something different

DUAL 12 v superred cha8012d fans Just a heads up.
post #169 of 206 Old 11-20-10, 05:34 PM
Shackster
Nick

Well a little late to the party but just did the fan mod on my EP2500, i have been using my sub a lot more with 2 channel music and the fan noise was getting in the way.

Used the trusty reccomended Digi-Key, part P9739-ND fan 24VDC 1.30W 80mm and it is working like a champ. Almost dead silent, thanks to all for posting info. I highly reccomend mod.

HK 635 Denon 1920 Onix 750 Rockets Sound Splinter RLP15 Sono
post #170 of 206 Old 02-04-11, 12:16 AM
Shackster

New guy here. I've been following this thread and want to thank those who posted many helpful information on fan mod.

I have QSC RMX850 amp but after reading about Behringer EP series being clones of QSC RMX, I thought I would post this. I recently replaced the fan with 14db 32cfm fan by Silenx. It's very quiet now and can only be heard within 2ft from the amp in a very quiet room. It's 12V rated fan so I put 110 Ohm 3w resistor in series to red wire and works fine. One thing to note is, besides the stock fan being rated 24V, it's somewhere around 40 to 50cfm rated (it definitely moves more air than my new 32cfm fan). I've searched around for quieter fans in that air volume range but they are all around 40 - 33 db noise level for 80 x 25mm size. It seems that to match the cfm of stock fan, it may be impossible to keep the fan noise down significantly.

I'm not concerned about my amp overheating since it hasn't even gotten warm for what I use (L & R speaker woofers) but I've read couple posts online about their amp overheating and shutting down after fan mod to something around 24cfm. I noticed that 24 or 19cfm fans were mentioned here number of times but one should note just in case that those are about half of stock fan's air volume capacity.