Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 20 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #191 of 206 Old 12-23-11, 07:58 PM
Shackster
TagUrToast

Re: Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500

Quote:
NateTTU wrote: View Post
I deal with installing high temp equipment in racks at work quite often and what you say actually can work as long as you take into consideration a few things. Just moving air around the amp will help, but really is only most beneficial if you blow cold air over the unit. since installing a cooling duct to the amp is most likely out of the question we have to consider another option. Instead we need to increase airflow through the unit.

first, build a fully enclosed box for the amp and install two or three 120 mm fans on the front and back.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185056
ensure air can only enter and escape the box at these locations and can only pass through the amp. a few things you will have to deal with

1) how to power the external fans
2) how to access the amp switch and connections
3) will removing/disconnecting the internal fan enable some failure mode
4) ensure airflow through the amp is, can't think of a good word so, fluid. if not we might have to add additional cooling... umm we'll call them ports since saying drilling additional holes sounds a little harsh

Your result is an incredibly ugly box that is quiet! Since those 120 mm fans are much more efficient and quite you actually might have more cooling capability than the stock configuration. I actually was strongly considering this, but I will likely pick up one of the LG clones that are talked about on the AVSForum. might do it to that amp though since I read it is even louder than the EPs!
I have been considering removing the stock 80mm fan on my iNUKE 1000 and making a new top panel with a 230mm fan cut out that should be much quieter. I understand this would not work for the EP series because of the tube heatsink. The iNUKE series does not have any heatsinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 206 Old 01-06-12, 04:21 PM
Berky

First, great forum and thanks for sharing. I am ready to perform the Fan Mod on an EP4000 and found what may be a better fan than the Digikey part # P9739-ND/FBA08A24L1A. Has any tried the P14751-ND / 3110SB-05W-B20-E00?

Reason I ask is:
Noise 19 dB(A)
Air Flow 26.1 CFM (0.739m≥/min)
Price = same as P9739

Thanks!
post #193 of 206 Old 02-09-12, 11:35 PM
Senior Shackster
rich

seriously, I've been reading this thread for like an hour----can somebody just tell me what fan to buy?? My plan is to clip the wires of the old fan and mount new fan .....thanks rich
O ya one last thing if you guys think one ep2500 is loud, try listining to 2

Marantz 8801--sunfire cinema grand signature
Sony es45, 148" DIY screen
svs cs ultras (4)-- svs PB ultra 13.5 (2)-- sms-1 (2),
paradigm s8--- paradigm s-45 --paradigm s1 (4ea)--paradigm prestige 5b
Samsung BD--room treatments--monster power cond.

post #194 of 206 Old 02-10-12, 06:02 PM
Senior Shackster
rich

I would like to buy the ball bearing fan/or ultra quiet fan....can sombody give me a part # or something. I tried a couple of part# from earlier post but could not find anything. thanks rich

post #195 of 206 Old 02-10-12, 08:01 PM
Shackster
expresso

i have a qsc amp - i got my fan at digi key - first you have to find out what size fan you have and what is the CFM - etc. - 24 volt -- then you can call them and ask for a quieter fan in the right size - look for something that can move alot of air also in the lowest db - get as close as you can with the air flow as the original fan -
post #196 of 206 Old 02-10-12, 09:21 PM
Senior Shackster
rich

The fan that came out of the amp is .25a the fan I was going to buy is .07a.....Is that a problem?????

post #197 of 206 Old 02-10-12, 10:05 PM
Shackster
expresso

i dont know what those numbers mean to be honest - i was referring to the size of the Fan itself

like a 80mm x 25mm etc. - if its a 24 volt fan - how much CFM it pushes and the loudness level in db's

thats how i matched my fan - i first made sure my new fan was 24 volt - same size so i can just swap it out - and just picked a lower db with the same amouth of CFM as the orginal or as close as you can -

my amp is very quiet now for HT use and pushes very similar amouth of CFM - never had a problem - over 3 years now -

if you can find someone with the same amp who did the swap and ask - i think there are many who done it with that amp -
post #198 of 206 Old 02-11-12, 02:05 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I am running a 34 CFM rated 80mm 24v fan in my EP4000 with no problems but I am running 2 ohms stereo. I had a 19 CFM rated fan originally but the amp got hot very very quickly so I had to replace it. With 4 ohms running I guess you would be ok. The stock fan in a EP4000 is around 55 CFM which is really loud. You could start off lowish and if it doesn't work out then just buy one which has a higher rated CFM rating. It takes about 5 minutes to replace them.
post #199 of 206 Old 02-11-12, 09:15 AM
Senior Shackster
rich

All I was really worried about is the .25a compared to .07a but I ordered it anyway.
Its 28cfm @ 22db so I'm hoping that will be ok. thanks rich

post #200 of 206 Old 02-11-12, 09:18 AM
Shackster
expresso

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...9-nd&x=11&y=18

This is the Fan i am using on my GX5 - I put this one in from the very start - its over 3 years now and never had a issue - its running in 8ohm - i use it for HT and Music -

but remember - this is the QSC amp - different amps may require different air flow etc. -