Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 206 Old 04-15-07, 08:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

I just bought from Newark as per bigguy's suggestion (thanks!) and it came to like $14 after shipping (2 day ground). cant wait to get it installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 206 Old 04-22-07, 06:40 PM
Dan

Howdy Folks,
I finally got the fan and did the mod... there was a pre/post test and I can say that the new fan was significantly quieter... (cant really hear it running) but you can feel it out of the front of the amp... Nice.

The mod was simple however, those of you buying a Behringer now a days will have some sort of tamper proof "hot glue" on the connector so you cannot do this mod without voiding the warranty. I just cut the wire at the old fan and soldered/heatshrinked it to the new fan. I dont really care about the warranty as I got mine at a good price and suspect it will last a while. (besides I do my own repair work )

This was definitely something in the "win" category.

Thanks
Dan
post #33 of 206 Old 04-22-07, 11:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Thats exactly how i feel. i also just cut the wire and shrinked it to be safe.

It works great! however i did notice after along time of use, aka i was listening to rock for about an hour at pretty good volumes its does get pretty warm, almost on the verge of hot. however i am not worried as that temp should not actually happen in any reasonable volume level or movie use.

post #34 of 206 Old 05-01-07, 02:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Michael

Hey Dan what's up?

Michael.
post #35 of 206 Old 05-15-07, 05:51 PM
Senior Shackster
Scott

MOD REQUEST: On/Off switch for Behringer EP2500 fan...

I just got a EP2500 a few weeks ago. The fan is audible but not to the extent that some people say. About as loud as a Xbox or something like it. Not bad, not good for movie viewing but not too bad.

I don't want to go and find a "quieter" fan for it. I'd rather have the option of having it on or off, instead. Especially when watching a dvd I'd like to just turn it off. Even the most ridiculous movies won't heat up a beast like this too much. (I am speaking from others experience's with the Europower amps.) Now for music or some seriously loud video gaming, I'd like to turn the fan on.

Is this an easy process? I don't want anything fancy. I wouldn't mind having a little wire or something out the back with a toggle for the fan. Dunno what would really work or if your need a special switch for it.

Any idea?
post #36 of 206 Old 05-15-07, 09:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

I wouldent do it. it will heat up with just normal use, with no movement of air it will take allot longer to cool and will only heat up more and more.

Just replace the stock one with the one suggested and you will not have to worry about it at all. it is about the same difficulty to do a switch and with the replaced fan you would never need to even think about it.
post #37 of 206 Old 05-15-07, 10:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

And also with a switch you may forget to switch it on when working it hard. But I also agree with Steve in regards to it heating up too much even under low usage. With no air moving through you will likely damage the electronics.
post #38 of 206 Old 05-18-07, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

The power transistors are bonded to the tubular aluminium heatsink. Without a draught through the middle the heatsink will eventually get hot. There is nowhere for the heat to go. It can't conduct, can't radiate and it can't convect in a closed box. Even with a very quiet fan like mine the heat is safely removed to the outside of the box.

Try placing the external sensor of an ordinary (cheap) indoors/outdoors digital thermometer on your heat sink with the fan disconnected. Then play some heavy rock music like Metallica. I found the Black Album at a steady 100dB+ the most serious test of cooling so far.
post #39 of 206 Old 05-18-07, 02:28 PM
Senior Shackster
Scott

After reading all your comments I have decided to not to that. Heh. I figured it would be okay for to watch one movie with it off but I guess not.

Good thing I got paid today. I can purchase my materials for a dual RLp18 LLT I am building and I'll order a quiet fan.

Thanks!
post #40 of 206 Old 05-18-07, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Chrisbee

Quote:
Scott S wrote: View Post

Good thing I got paid today. I can purchase my materials for a dual RLp18 LLT I am building and I'll order a quiet fan.
Don't forget you need a 24 Volt fan.

Twin 18s eh?