Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 206 Old 12-02-07, 01:39 AM
Senior Shackster
toecheese

Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

Your mistake is better than mine. I had started the fan mod last summer and took the shroud out. Initially I was going to do the in-line resistor. After reading about it (starting playing with circuits again and know that a 24v source really prefers a 24v output), put the project aside until recently when my neighbor wanted one for his 1500. We ordered a pair, and I did the fix... but forgot where the shroud went. I think I threw it away! So now I'm shroudless, and I don't feel like going to Turin to get a different one. I reversed the flow and did some testing, but can't get the amp even a teeny bit warm, so I'm satisfied with the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 10:52 AM
Shackster
Zman

Just an update..... If you have an EP2500 - DO THIS MOD !!!

I just did and it's a world of difference.... now my HDDVD player is louder than this.

Also the fan is back in stock at Digikey... and out of stock at newark.

For a little under 20bucks with shipping etc... and 30 min of work.... can't beat it.
post #63 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 12:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I did the 2 12V in series mod, and put the 'extra' fan in the cae beside the transformer. The fans seem slow compared to the single 24V, and the airflow is alot less. The air coming out now is warm, not hot, where it was almost cold with the original fan. Maybe the fan controller can't supply the power needed for the two fans? I might as well get a new 24V silent fan and be done with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #64 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 12:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

yea, the fans are not getting enough power. although, when is it running warm? when you are pushing the amp and using allot of power or just sitting there?

24v fan is the way to go through.
post #65 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 12:36 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

It's slightly warm sitting idle.

I haven't really pushed the amp over a period of time, so I don't know if it ever warms up more. After a period of very loud music I felt no difference. I'd feel more comfortable with a single 24v fan though, so I'll order one up soon.

post #66 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 12:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

I did 2, 12v fans in series, but both of them are at the end of the heat sink with air flow front to back. Butting the fans up does cause a tiny bit of cavitation because it makes the fans spin a tad faster, but the noise is still low. I also get more air flow than when having only one fan at the back of the heat sink.

It was tricky making it work, I had to re-route half of the wires that are bundled together back there up over the heat sink. The second fan fit inside the metal shroud, thus why I had to reroute wires.

You might try putting both fans at the rear of the heat sink.
post #67 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 05:59 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

Quote:
looneybomber wrote: View Post
I did 2, 12v fans in series, but both of them are at the end of the heat sink with air flow front to back. Butting the fans up does cause a tiny bit of cavitation because it makes the fans spin a tad faster, but the noise is still low. I also get more air flow than when having only one fan at the back of the heat sink.

It was tricky making it work, I had to re-route half of the wires that are bundled together back there up over the heat sink. The second fan fit inside the metal shroud, thus why I had to reroute wires.

You might try putting both fans at the rear of the heat sink.
im curious with this series'ed 12v fans ... please post pics looneybomber!
post #68 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 08:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

Quote:
mike c wrote: View Post
im curious with this series'ed 12v fans ... please post pics looneybomber!
I knew eventually someone would want pictures. I should have taken some as I was doing it. Homework is pretty heavy right now, but hopefully I can get some taken for ya. It's really pretty simple, four wires remain routed through the metal shroud, and four or five go up over the top of the heat sink (taped down flat). The fans I'm using aren't deep ones, so they fit. If you found some deep 80mm ones, they wouldn't fit.

I'll edit this post once I get pictures taken...which may be a little while from now.
post #69 of 206 Old 04-02-08, 09:10 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

i was thinking of using 12v PC fans (generally 3/4 - 1" thick each)

do you have a wiring diagram instead? sorry for being too pushy
post #70 of 206 Old 04-03-08, 02:56 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

If you are using two fans in series it's a matter of wiring from the red from the plug, to the red on one fan. Then the black of the first fan to the red of the second fan. Then the black from the second fan to the black on the plug. Simple series wiring.

Code:
 PLUG   +   ------  +  Fan 1 - ------ + Fan 2 - ----
                                                                    |
           -   --------------------------------------