Quieter Fan Mod for Behringer EP2500 - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 206 Old 04-03-08, 04:29 AM
Senior Shackster

mike

Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
If you are using two fans in series it's a matter of wiring from the red from the plug, to the red on one fan. Then the black of the first fan to the red of the second fan. Then the black from the second fan to the black on the plug. Simple series wiring.

Code:
 PLUG   +   ------  +  Fan 1 - ------ + Fan 2 - ----
                                                                    |
           -   --------------------------------------
thanks, so just like a subwoofer driver. so will the amp see 24v if two 12v fans are in series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 206 Old 04-03-08, 09:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

yes, the amp will think it's one 24V fan that draw double the current. I don't think the fan module in the EP2500 is up for that, though. Both fans spin really slow, so I get too little airflow. I'm getting a 24V proper quiet fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #73 of 206 Old 04-05-08, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
yes, the amp will think it's one 24V fan that draw double the current. I don't think the fan module in the EP2500 is up for that, though. Both fans spin really slow, so I get too little airflow. I'm getting a 24V proper quiet fan.
Actually wiring stuff in series double's the voltage, but keeps the current the same.
Wiring in parallel keeps voltage the same, but double's current.

Each of the fans I installed draw .16 amps, so 1.92watts per fan. I'll look at the stock fan when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it draws more than 4 watts, which is more than my 2 fans draw. That is because my fans are quiet fans and thus they rotate slowly to keep noise down. You can get faster fans that move more air, but they will draw more power (not a problem) and are more noisey (that's a problem to me). Something else you could do, is install a switch. In one position your stock fan will operate as normal, in the other position, a resistor will be wired in to drastically reduce fan speed and noise. You could then have a quiet "night" position and a "day time rock and roll" position for maximum cooling.

Ok, I got home and checked the fan. The stock fan is 24v, .25A = 6watts.

Last edited by looneybomber; 04-05-08 at 09:24 PM.

post #74 of 206 Old 04-05-08, 02:17 PM
Senior Shackster
kouack

What about using 1X 12 volts fan and a 75 ohms resistor in series to create a voltage drop and to keep the voltage @ 12 volts to the fan? If my math is ok 12 volts/ 0.16 amp = 75 ohms and you would need 12 volts X 0.16 amps = 1.92 watts so a 5 watts resistor would be more than enough :-)
post #75 of 206 Old 04-24-08, 09:59 AM
Shackster
Fred

I replaced the fans on 5 QSC amps and my EP2500 with 12 volt fans, but I did it a little different than I've seen in this thread. I just fed the 24 volt fan supply to a 3 pin 12 volt regulator IC and fed the 12 volt output to the fan. Works like a charm.
post #76 of 206 Old 04-24-08, 06:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Collo

What a great idea.....
post #77 of 206 Old 07-13-08, 06:51 PM
Senior Shackster
CZ Eddie

Thanks to this thread, I picked up the 24v FBA08A24L1A from arrow dot com for about $19 including second day air (I was in a rush). I have less than ten posts here, so I can't post the direct link to arrow.

Installing the fan was one of the easier things I've done lately.
Results are very good. The EP2500 is not what I would consider "silent". But the fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, or at my sitting distance. I can only hear it when I walk right past it.

I would do this mod again. And it's safer than going with a 12v fan.
post #78 of 206 Old 08-25-08, 08:22 PM
Shackster

Jailer

Just got done with the fan mod myself. Got the one from newark that was posted earlier in the thread.

With my bad hearing I have to stick my ear right next to the front of the amp to even hear it running and I can barely hear it at that. The stock fan could be heard from my seating position about 10 feet away. Again, my hearing is not too good.

The glue can be sliced through in short order without heating it. Soldered up the new fan and all is good.

I did do something a little different than others. I used some metal foil tape (the real duct tape) and sealed off the gap between the fan shroud and heat sink. I also mounted the fan blowing out the rear so it draws air from front to back now. It has been sitting idle for about a half an hour now and the air coming out the back feels just slightly warmer than ambient. The top of the unit is stone cold except the area directly over the heat sink. That area is only slightly warm to the touch.

It just didn't make any sense at all to me having the fan blowing from the back to front, gaps in the heat sink, blowing hot air all around the inside of the amp and heat soaking all the other parts. This way the fan draws air through the front of the heat sink and blows ALL that hot air out the back.

UPDATE!

Watched a movie for a bit. The air coming out of the back of the unit is now very warm. Good indication that it is pulling a lot of heat from the heat sink. The top of the case is warm to the touch directly over the heat sink and still cool to the touch everywhere else.

I'm happy.

Last edited by Jailer; 08-25-08 at 08:59 PM. Reason: update
post #79 of 206 Old 08-25-08, 10:25 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Coolerguys has a good selection of fans.... http://www.coolerguys.com/80.html

MECHATRONICS #A8025S12D for $4.25
  • low noise design
  • Sleeve Bearing
  • 12V DC thermal protection type
  • PBT UL94V-0 frame and impeller
  • DC Brushless

SPECS:
Model - A8025S12D
Size - (80 x 80 x 25mm)
3.15 x 3.15 x 0.98 inches
Bearing options: Sleeve Bearing
Connector - 3 Pin/2 wire w/10" lead
Speed - 1500 RPM
Noise - 20 dba
Air Flow - 25 CFM
post #80 of 206 Old 09-04-08, 04:48 PM
Senior Shackster
Matt

So is the newark the most commonly used 24v?
Seems easier to use a 24v than switch to a 12v.

These suckers are fairly loud, lol.