High Pass Filters w/XLR? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-11, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Re: High Pass Filters w/XLR?

Yeah - I understand the thoughts on the MiniDSP - but if you buy the balanced one in the box..and the plugin and shipping... you're up to the cost of a used BFD - that has twice the outputs...

I have a hard time spending $200 on what would basically just be a HPF.... that still couldn't easily be rackmounted and lacked XLR.

I kind of feel like miniDSP fits in such a tight niche market.... which is basically hobbyists only.. It lacks a little polish - which for some of the prices - I think it should have a little more. My original search was for something with low overhead/few features.. but I think that DSPs don't really match that.

Sorry - don't mean to sound so negative about this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-04-11, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Hmm... well, you might be out of luck. I don't know.

One last thing (and then I'll stop) the dsp has over the Bfd is that it will filter below 20Hz.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-05-11, 06:13 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
I like the XLR outputs on my PR-SC886... and being able to run it directly to BFD and amp without converting..
Do you have unusually long (>25') connection to make or severe EMI / RFI problem? If not, balanced line isn't needed. There are some active crossover kits online if you are inclined so. Elliott Sound Products has 24 dB/Octave 2/3-Way Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover.

post #14 of 30 Old 03-05-11, 06:15 PM
Shackster

Here's a link to that kit. http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm
post #15 of 30 Old 03-05-11, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

No... just wanted to keep it balanced from preamp to amp.... or at least just keep from going XLR to RCA to XLR (etc).

I'm not looking for a crossover or DSP... was just looking for a simple active HPF. The Symmetrix EQ works fine for what I need - the reason why I started the thread - was looking for something that just had an HPF without all the bells and whistles.

I don't care that much -- just surprised how few active HPFs there are without buying or making a full blown EQ or crossover. If it takes a DSP or a crossover to just do a simple HPF - it's no simpler (or cheaper) than using a pro-EQ like the Symmetrix (or DCX2496 or Driverack products)

The Reckhorn B1/B2 would have actually almost fit the description - if they were more precise. Just need a HPF for a ported sub -- since the Behringer EP4000s lack anything more than a 30/50hz HPF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-05-11, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
Hmm... well, you might be out of luck. I don't know.

One last thing (and then I'll stop) the dsp has over the Bfd is that it will filter below 20Hz.
That's actually very funny (and interesting!) that you mention that.... the whole reason I bought the Symmatrix EQ was because it was one of the very few EQs that can EQ below 20hz. Originally I wanted to boost below 20hz... and it just happens that it also has a HPF.

The fact that the MiniDSP has features below 20hz is important... since most gear doesn't touch anything below 20.

post #17 of 30 Old 03-06-11, 01:10 AM
Shackster

Quote:
No... just wanted to keep it balanced from preamp to amp.... or at least just keep from going XLR to RCA to XLR (etc).
You can use unbalanced output from your preamp for this crossover.
Quote:
I'm not looking for a crossover or DSP... was just looking for a simple active HPF.
Here is cheap and simple way to make line level crossover. http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html
post #18 of 30 Old 03-08-11, 11:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP - I forgot about it..

I just wish their DSP in a box solution actually had XLR connectors.. and didn't cost $36 to ship from China..
They do have one, it just doesn't have XLR connectors. Instead its balanced and you need to attach the leads to the balanced input and output terminals. It would have been nice to have the xlr connectors wired in but thats what you get for saving money. They even point to an adapter cable available at another site and said they were thinking of bundling them. Again, there is a balanced version of the MiniDSP in a box, its just it uses different connectors.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-08-11, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

I'm aware that MiniDSP has a balanced version. I've known this for quite a while. While I understand that I can easily wire a balanced connection to it - I still prefer it having hard XLR connectors without having to build custom cables and a custom enclosure so I can mount it.

The intention of my original post was trying to find a simple HPF. Not a full blown DSP or EQ solution. Since MiniDSP is a fully featured DSP (but lacks the polish of a pro product) - it's not what I'm looking for.

My reason for XLR is in part because of the higher line voltage.

I think it's pretty clear there are no simple XLR HPF filters.

post #20 of 30 Old 03-08-11, 11:49 AM
Senior Shackster

deleted by poster, misunderstood previous poster.

Last edited by Theresa; 03-08-11 at 12:39 PM. Reason: misunderstood previous poster