High Pass Filters w/XLR? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 03-01-11, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

High Pass Filters w/XLR?

I'm lookng for something that can be used as a HPF - specifically a device with XLR connectors.

I have a Symetrix 551E parametric EQ that has a HPF and has XLRs - but also has EQ features that I don't really use (overkill as a HPF)

I believe the DCX2496 could be used as a HPF?
I've looked at the Reckhorn B-2 -- but it's RCA only..

Any other popular filters?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 10:03 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: High Pass Filters w/XLR?

I doubt such a thing exists. Balanced gear is typically pro audio, and there really isn’t any use for a stand-alone HPF in pro audio. Typically that function has been rolled into equalizers and/or crossovers, so you’ll probably just have to put up with the other “baggage” to get the balanced HPF function.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

|

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 03-02-11 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

I doubt such a thing exists. Balanced gear is typically pro audio, and there really isn’t any use for a stand-alone HPF in pro audio. Typically that function has been rolled into equalizers and/or crossovers, so you’ll probably just have to put up with the other “baggage” to get the balanced HPF function.
Yeah - that's kind of what I figured..

I'm just trying to find something with the least....baggage.

Curious if something like the Reckhorn might work -- if it's designed to handle signal levels as high as XLR produces (probably not is my guess). Edit: looks like it can take up to a 10V signal........ but in looking at the B2 a little more, it doesn't have any markings for specific frequencies.. just high and low. Makes it difficult for any level of precision.

I like the XLR outputs on my PR-SC886... and being able to run it directly to BFD and amp without converting..

I don't really care if I have to use something like a pro-EQ.. just trying to minimize the junk in the signal chain.

Hmm. Looks like the DCX2496 can do high pass, low pass and band pass (@ 6/12db).

post #4 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Wow...

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
The B1 was tested and it's not accurate. For example with the subsonic filter set at 10 hz and the boost frequency set at 20 hz and the boost level set at the 12 o'clock postion the unit provides a 15 hz hi-pass filter. Try those settings and see how your subs perform. If they should bottom out increase the subsonic filter frequency to 12 hz and try again.

post #5 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 04:51 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
I believe miniDSP now has a version with balanced connections IIRC

...yes, just checked and they do have such a unit but out of stock for a couple weeks. A lot of peeps on avs are excited about this powerful piece of hardware/ software

Last edited by vann_d; 03-02-11 at 04:57 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
I believe miniDSP now has a version with balanced connections IIRC

...yes, just checked and they do have such a unit but out of stock for a couple weeks. A lot of peeps on avs are excited about this powerful piece of hardware/ software
Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP - I forgot about it..

I just wish their DSP in a box solution actually had XLR connectors.. and didn't cost $36 to ship from China..

post #7 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 10:35 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

It's still a great deal even with the shipping considering it's reconfigurable to whatever your needs are. XLR is just a termination. You can easily terminate your cables to accommodate the miniDSP.

I would stay away from Reckhorn products. I have the B1 and regret that I purchased it. There is zero customer support for these products and they don't perform well. If it's your only choice you are going to need to measure it's filter characteristics to see what you are really getting. Bob at CSS does not know so don't bother asking...
post #8 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

I love the plugins idea... and yeah - I know XLR is just a termination... but I was just trying to keep things clean and simple without making custom cables.. I wish that there was some way to easily rackmount the minidsps too. My rack has enough cabling.... and trying to keep from having random boxes in addition to the racked equipment. I know... I'm being picky.

I feel like I keep making excuses not to get a minidsp - and I don't mean to. Maybe I should buy one at some point- just to play with it.

I might eventually get a DCX for my subs - since it allows up to 6 outputs and you can apply EQ and filters to each output individually.

Thanks for the comment about the B-1. I read the B-2 is a little better, but my thought is that if you have to measure it's characteristics to see what you're getting - it's basically useless. It's just not worth investing the time to measure what it's doing......... just to get it to do what you want.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 03-02-11 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I can't spell
post #9 of 30 Old 03-02-11, 11:15 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

cool...

not that I have a miniDSP or anything. I just think it's a cool idea and implementation.

If you are willing to do some DIY with electronics (you obviously DIY, maybe just need to get over some hesitation about non-MDF or plywood related work ) you could get a really cool solution with these things. At the least you could get a rack shelf and screw the unit into it.

There are also plenty of pre-built enclosures out there that would allow you to build an enclosure with whatever terminations you want if you are willing to do a little DIY on the enclosure. Maybe you could get the kit and build a wooden enclosure with XLR connections.

The shipping is a lot because they are selling as a manufacturer from China (as you know). Just think what these units would retail in the US. Well, there is no retailer in the US right now so who knows what they would go for but it will probably be more than you can get one for now unless someone decides to buy 10000 of these things.

sorry, I just want to get some of these but I have no use for them. I can't justify an entire DIY active speaker project just because I buy a DSP....
post #10 of 30 Old 03-04-11, 12:18 PM
Senior Shackster
patchesj

It looks like miniDSP does offer a "balanced" board. Combined with the 2 way PEQ plugin and you'd end up with a simple BFD/subsonic filter replacement.... At least that's what it looks like.

EDIT: Looks like you'd want the 2way advanced plugin....