Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-07, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fireanimal

Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions

I will be building a sonosub to compliment my Outlaw LFM-1+.

I have been looking at both the TC-2000 15" Driver and the Soundsplinter RL-p18.
For Space Considerations I am staying around 400L in a 22" Sonotube, with an 8" port tuned to 15 hz

My question is which driver would be more acceptable with the 400L enclosure, and if my port size/tune is good.

My second question is regarding the Amp. I am considering Crown Xti-1000. I read that it has parametric EQ and adjustable filters and was wondering if this is a good all in one solution, or would I be better with a cheaper amp and a FEEDBACK Destroyer to adjust my filters.

My current room response with the outlaw is pretty good, with a couple peaks at 45-60 hz, and the outlaw is in 18hz low tune mode.

Thanks for the advice.
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-07, 01:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Geoff

Re: Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions

I think that 400 L is pretty big for a TC-2000 and pretty small for an RL-P18. To me, 320 L is better for a TC-2000 tuned to 15 Hz and 500 L or so is better for the RL-P18 @ 15 Hz.

As for the amp, the BFD is more flexible for EQ than the XTi is. I have an XTi-2000 and it is fine for my purposes as a sub EQ, but some of the stuff I see people doing here require the BFD because they use a lot of filters. Also, the Crown is pretty expensive... a Behringer BFD/EP setup should be cheaper.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-07, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fireanimal

Thanks for the suggestions. So I think I will go with a 320L 15" TC-2000 design....I think the wife will be happier than a 500L!!

This is what I have come up with.

Approx Size of Sonotube is 55"x22" with a 6" port 28" Long for a tune of 14.2 Hz.
I pluged this into BassBox Pro, hopefully properly and it looks pretty good, but I will post some graphs to see if anyone has any suggestions.

My Port Resonance is around 180 Hz which I think is good, I will be crossed over between 80-100 Hz, so DB's should be low enough at the point.

With the amp, If I only have some minor room adjustments and filters to set, than the crown will work, but If I need multiple filters/adjustments than I should go with the FBD, correct.

I will see if I can get a Room EQ graph with the outlaw, and see if my room needs mild or wild EQ'ing.

Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions-na.jpg  

Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions-ca.jpg  

Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions-cd.jpg  

Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions-gd.jpg  

Crown Amp & SonoSub Questions-vv.jpg  

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-07, 08:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Geoff

Here's what I'm getting in WinISD Pro:

SPL with 800 W:

Cone excursion 800 W:

Group delay:

Vent velocity 800 W:

post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-07, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fireanimal

I tried WinISD pro and got numbers similar to yours. In your opinion does everything look ok, or are there any adjustments needed.

Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-07, 04:14 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I have an XTi-2000 and it is fine for my purposes as a sub EQ

Geoff,
I've purchased a TC Sounds speaker and a Crown XTi amplifier. How did you integrate the Crown with your other consumer electronic gear? The Crown has XLR input connections. What did you do with those?
How does the Crown work as a sub amp?
Phil
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-07, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
fireanimal

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
I have an XTi-2000 and it is fine for my purposes as a sub EQ

Geoff,
I've purchased a TC Sounds speaker and a Crown XTi amplifier. How did you integrate the Crown with your other consumer electronic gear? The Crown has XLR input connections. What did you do with those?
How does the Crown work as a sub amp?
Phil
If your reviever does not have balanced XLR outputs, you can purchase XLR-RCA adapter cables, but the best solution is to buy an ART cleanbox http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...ry=Accessories that way the levels are adjusted properly.