Scary thread about Buttkicker Amps - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 06-01-07, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

Re: Scary thread about Buttkicker Amps

The scary thing is that his did'int even fall between the recalled serial numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 06-01-07, 06:38 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Jerm357 wrote: View Post
The scary thing is that his did'int even fall between the recalled serial numbers.
Well is not a surprisse to me I always think that sooner or later you will get a defective product of any kind .... from small appliances to big products ...
post #13 of 22 Old 06-02-07, 09:15 AM
Shackster

Gui Lao

Darin on that forum should at least ask for a root cause analysis. What was the real cause for the failure and from there, what other issues contributed to the reported fire and obvious smoke.

That looks pretty bad, but it does not say that all of that brand's products are bad. I really think the telling thing is how the company handles this. We all run into problems now and then, the difference is how we handle them; no different for companies selling products to consumers.

post #14 of 22 Old 06-04-07, 09:48 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I thought there was only one "BK" who could advertise flame broiled goods. Evidently, I was wrong.
Attachments

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #15 of 22 Old 06-06-07, 03:01 AM
drf
drf

Quote:
aceinc wrote: View Post
As they teach in school, "Electronics are made of smoke, for electronics to work you must keep the smoke inside, once you let it out they stop working."

Paul
And the smell of burning ants, once you can smell that you know your resistors have passed the point of no return.

all I can say about that pic is that that's a nice looking BBQ!! and we Aussies pride ourselves on everything to do with BBQs.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 11:07 PM
Darin

Wow, that's weird. Came here to read Ilkka's latest comparo, and found a thread about my amp.

So I guess while I'm here, I'll address a couple of things:

Quote:
ccdoggy wrote: View Post
I just guessin but it seems that with that much power goin through it it gets hot, really hot. and some component that was supposed to be rated to withstand it, turned out it couldent take it.
FWIW, I really don't think it's heat related. The BK amp is a digital design rated to 2 ohms, running under a light 4 ohm load. It always ran very cool. You can't really tell in that pic, but the smoke was mostly coming up from around the rear of the transformer, but the grill area directly behind where the smoke was coming out had a lot of charred stuff... above the capacitors. I think one the the capacitors blew, causing some kind of short that overheated the transformer. I wasn't in the house when it self destructed, but there was some kind of black "precipitation" all over the inside of cabinet afterwords that couldn't have come from the smoke. It just about had to be some kind of violent blow, followed by a small internal fire.

Quote:
phaseshift wrote:
Darin on that forum should at least ask for a root cause analysis. What was the real cause for the failure and from there, what other issues contributed to the reported fire and obvious smoke.

That looks pretty bad, but it does not say that all of that brand's products are bad. I really think the telling thing is how the company handles this. We all run into problems now and then, the difference is how we handle them; no different for companies selling products to consumers.
I do want to say that so far, they've been great. They sent me a replacement right away, with a pre-paid shipping slip to send the bad one back. They specifically said they want to look at it to see what happened, so I hope they do share what they find. But I haven't yet sent it back. We've had great weather here, so I haven't driven my car in weeks. The amp is pretty heavy, so there's no good way to safely carry it with me on the motorcycle so I can ship it from work. We are expecting rain next week though, so I'm sure there will be a day next week when I can get it shipped out.

I'll post back if I get any results back from them.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 11:15 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Darin and welcome to the Shack!

So you are the dude with the smokin' amp.

Do keep us updated on what happened. It seems like this amp is fairly popular for a sub amp and has performed well for most people.

Glad you decided to join in with us here at the Shack.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-08-07, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Jerm357

If any thing at least this thread roped in another shackster.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-09-07, 09:18 AM
Senior Shackster

Welcome Darin!

Would you still recommend the BKA? I would think that with how they took care of you, that people should still consider buying from them...I say this because a lot of people have been responding negatively to your situation.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #20 of 22 Old 06-09-07, 10:12 AM
Dan

Quote:
aceinc wrote: View Post
As they teach in school, "Electronics are made of smoke, for electronics to work you must keep the smoke inside, once you let it out they stop working."

Paul
LOL... we went to the same School... might have had the same teacher...

Dan