Peavey CS800X anyone run this? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 10-02-11, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

JasonPCtech

My System
Sub Icon Peavey CS800X anyone run this?

Just hit a Craigslist find for $40. yup, delivered, for real. Even had a PL2 transformer in it.
It's pretty clean for a used CS-800X 100% working heavy pro amp.
Currently bridged mono into my sonosub sporting a Dayton Titanic 4ohm.

So far so good gotta say I'm real happy with the output and done amp hunting for this project.
Output is a claimed 1200w bridged at 4ohms, my guess is 800 clean with room. Got the fan to kick in to second gear a couple times running Bass demo music but not running movies.
Popped in a few movies like War of the worlds (the tripod rising scene was visceral), The latest Star Trek (the leaving starbase scene with the brakes on, better than the cinema as I remember)

So all I can say is WOW good amp for subs and be sure to get the 'X" version for the 4ohm bridging, they claim it will do 2ohm in stereo but that's not my bag baby.

Anyhow not much out there on this amp but I could not find any bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-11, 10:52 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Peavey CS800X anyone run this?

Nice deal. Have used a CS800, not a an "X," that has survived decades of frat party abuse and is still running strong. The CS800 is rated at 800W @ 8 ohms bridged. I wouldn't doubt that it would run 4 ohms bridged, just maybe not with anymore power output. Peaveys have been known to be solid driving any load under the worst conditions

Sounds perfect for a highpowered sub application. As long as the fan isn't too loud and you have proper filtering in place, it sounds like a great way to go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 3 Old 10-07-11, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

JasonPCtech

My System
Re: Peavey CS800X anyone run this?

It's been a few days of abusive Sonosub un-neighborly bass testing of music & movies. Still tweaking REW & the BFD. I'm not triggering the cooling fans 2nd speed during movies in all but the abusive bass demos and that's good, because that 2nd fan speed is loud as one of those electric car cooling fans! I read this amp will play 5Hz~50KHz+/-3db per Peavey so my 14hz tuned sub can do it's thing, or close. Anyways although I like the idea of power sipping Class D amps I can live with shutting it off when not in use. This A/B Peavey is going to get pulled apart this week and cleaned and cared for like a family member. I anticipate I might ruffle some feathers in the neighborhood this weekend hehe.
I rate this amp of earth moving bass !
Now go find one!

P.S. if that SDX15 Mk II driver ever comes out I might consider modelling it as a stand by if I murder the Dayton Titanic I have now.

Last edited by Jasonpctech; 10-07-11 at 03:09 AM.