Pro amps replacing plate amps for most people? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-07, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Pro amps replacing plate amps for most people?

It seems that over the last few years there's been a big increase in the number of people using pro amps for subs, rather than plate amps. Now with subs getting more and more powerful, and the big guys needing lots of headroom, I can totally understand, I was just wondering if there were any folks using big bad plates still. I think I can remember a 750w plate, but I'm not sure if they got much past that or not, and when people start pushing 2kw+ in their multiple driver setups, I guess it just plain doesn't make sense anymore. When you factor in cost, I guess it's another reason too, since I think the plate amps were getting fairly pricey in comparison for similar wattage.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-07, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Scott

Re: Pro amps replacing plate amps for most people?

Adire had the ADA1200 that seemed to be a pretty beefy amp. It was $600 iirc so you can see why they weren't too popular.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-07, 02:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Darren

I used a 1000 watt plate amp from Parts Express. Very good amp and worked well on my ported AV15 subwoofer before I upgraded to an IB. I now have a Behringer EP2500 pro amp. It is just more versitile in my opinion, especially when paired with a BFD.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-07, 03:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Scott S wrote: View Post
Adire had the ADA1200 that seemed to be a pretty beefy amp. It was $600 iirc so you can see why they weren't too popular.
Yeah, and IIRC there have been a lot of issues with reliability concerning those amps.

I use two pro-amps in my 2.1 (soon to be 4.1) setup and also feel that they're more versatile than the plate amps in my other subs... of course as Darren said, a little help from a BFD never hurt anyone

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-07, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Scott

Quote:
Yeah, and IIRC there have been a lot of issues with reliability concerning those amps.
Really? I never heard of any of that. I remember that was just before Adire went through their big "transition" to Chili so I guess I missed it. Nobody really got them cause amps like the EP1500/2500 came around and were reasonably priced. That's how I saw it anyway.

I agree that pro rack amps are much more versatile and practical for DIY sub building.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-07, 08:53 AM
Senior Shackster
Ben

I have an ADA 1200, no complaints about it from me - it seems to be built like a tank.
That being said, I paid over 700 Canadian for mine, it likely would have been better spent on a pair of comercial/pro rack style amps, but the added features of the ADA 1200 made it a good choice for my first project.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-07, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Good points guys. Bent, I totally agree with you about the features on plate amps, the one that I really wish some of the pro or home (I guess I didn't really distinguish those before and lumped them all into what I would consider "component" amps or something) amps had is fully adjustable phase control. Switching polarity can be helpful, but I found the full dial to be very useful when tweaking my sub.

- OJ -