Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 138 Old 02-02-12, 07:11 AM
Shackster

Re: Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS

Tried this mod on my 3000. The standard fan is actually pretty quiet with the lid off. Once the lid goes on its intolerable....and this is with the amp cool. Once it warms up, the fan sounds like a wind tunnel!

My solution was to fit a 120R 2w resistor in series with the original fan. The fan is totally off until the amp warms up (5mins) & is now tolerable fully ramped.

On the 3000, there are flat heat sinks which will take adhesive fin heat dissipators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 08:22 AM
Shackster
Superstatic

I replaced the very noisy original fan with a Nexus Basic 80mm, cant hear a whisper from this as they claim " worlds quitest fan"!

The funny thing is that the Nexus fan looks exactly as the Behringer fan, same shape on chassie and fan blades.

regards, Jonas
post #13 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 09:49 AM
Shackster

Cant figure this out.......

The original fan itself is not that noisy with the top cover off. Once the cover is on, there is a resonance coming from the air as it is pulled thru the vents. The only way to quieten the fan is to reduce the air flow, which is what the resistor does.

Are you saying the Nexus fan achieves the same thing by spinning more slowly?

Also, the noise varies as the fan ramps up. With the resistor, the fan is actually off when you switch on & starts to spin as it warms up.

post #14 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 12:35 PM
Shackster
Superstatic

Maybe I've got hold of a particular noisy iNuke, as I can't enjoy the music with the amp located in the same room..I think that the Behringer fan has very cheap bearings, and that this bearing noise is
spreading to the fan shroud and top cover. The Nexus fan typically also rotates at lower speed, which in conjugate with superior bearings almost totally kills fan noise.
post #15 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 12:48 PM
Shackster

Ok...I will give Nexus a try. The ones I see on ebay have 3 wires. Do you just connect 2?
post #16 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 01:13 PM
Shackster
Superstatic

Yes, connect black to black and red to red. Carefully cut away the yellow cable as close as possible to the fan motor. Keep in mind that I, due to neighbors, haven't run the iNuke at full level for any longer timespan with the Nexus fan, but this far there has been no problems, just very cool air emerging from the backside. I will not take responsibility for damages that can arise due to this modification!
post #17 of 138 Old 02-07-12, 01:20 PM
Shackster

I will not take responsibility for damages that can arise due to this modification!

Of course

Will let you know how fan compares to my resistor mod..........
post #18 of 138 Old 02-09-12, 02:26 AM
Shackster

hey guys

the inuke and special the dsp version is really intrested.
but the fan is not to accept in home cinema

a slower/silent version is critical under max load. (some people write on thomann.de and parts-express.com the amp was still quiet the job )

so i thin to a new "really" mod.

can we discuss if its really possible what i like to do?
1. using equal zalmann ZM-NBF47 (pc northbridge colling heat sink) on top of the mosfet
2. if it thermal perfectly we can change the heat pad under the heat sink with thermal adhesive grease (arctic silver)
3. change the fan to a silent 12-16db one

what do you think about it?

(and sorry for the bad english )
post #19 of 138 Old 02-09-12, 03:46 AM
Shackster

Agree....fan noise not acceptable in home environment.

Must point out this mod relates to my NU3000DSP

Problem I found is you cannot tell how loud fan is going to be until unit warms up & is giving maximum voltage to fan. My solution was to try several resistors & eventually settle on 120R.

Fan showing resistor:

You can use stock fan which does not spin until unit warms up, & then the speed is kept to an acceptable noise level.
I have also found blowing the air using the fan at the rear creates turbulence noise as the air passes through the front louvres.
So far, the quietest solution I have found is mounting the fan on top. altho the original fan with resistor is acceptable compromise. I had a piece of perspex lying around which I cut for this purpose. I have positioned the fan directly on top of the heat sensitive components:

and eliminated cowling of favour of adhesive heat sinks mounted to all the transistors.

Heatsink here:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?SKU=1773319

In this way the air is draw through the top of the unit & expelled from the front & back which is much quieter. I have used a fan I had lying around for this experiment & the stock fan is left in position but not used.

Last edited by k9vap; 02-09-12 at 06:43 AM.
post #20 of 138 Old 02-10-12, 01:17 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Superstatic wrote: View Post
Maybe I've got hold of a particular noisy iNuke, as I can't enjoy the music with the amp located in the same room..I think that the Behringer fan has very cheap bearings, and that this bearing noise is
spreading to the fan shroud and top cover. The Nexus fan typically also rotates at lower speed, which in conjugate with superior bearings almost totally kills fan noise.
Did this fan mod. It is certainly much quieter than the stock fan as the fan is lower power, so acceptable in home environment. The fan in the top cover is quieter still, but alot more work.