Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 138 Old 04-24-12, 09:28 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System
Re: Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS

I had a NU1000 DSP.. I think it worked so well I sold it and got a NU3000 DSP on the way since I will have 2 subs.

1) I like the idea of removing the shroud and adding a heatsink and a quiet fan.

I will look into that.

2) Can anyone suggest what is the proper way to run 2 subs off the NU3000DSP?

I am thinking one RCA from the LFE output of the RCVR to the CH A input on the NU3000

Then have One output to left sub and one output to right sub?

My RCVR has 2 LFE out puts should I hook another one up to the B channel?

Last edited by fschris; 04-25-12 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 138 Old 04-25-12, 03:46 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
StanDingwave wrote: View Post
I signed up for HTS as a result of Room EQ Wizard, but Google hit upon this thread. I am a recent owner (convert to?) Behringer iNuke. Specifically I have bought a NU3000 and a NU1000DSP is on order. First let me state that the current and likely only use of my NU3000 is/will be for driving two pair of Bose 901 II in a bedroom. In other words, my amp will see pretty easy use compared to hard duty in a PA for a nightclub, simulating WW II in your home theatre, or what-have-you. I too was dismayed by the noisy fan. All DIY mods seem geared to putting in a quieter fan. This is a wonderful hack, but why not lose the fan entirely? Based upon success I had months ago with converting a generic PC ATX PSU's fan to fanless cooling, I left the case open on two sides including the PC case to allow convection cooling. I thought, why not try the NU3000 with no fan at all? That I did, removing the fan, the duct, and keeping the lid off. Also note that in my set-up, the amp is on an open shelf among cool-running gear -- in other words it has plenty of cooling air available. I already have posted this perpetration at diyAudio (to general disapproval) so save your speeches The point is this mod works, at least short-term, with no ill effects so far. I am well aware that:

1. The warranty is void (gee, lost a 90 day warranty!);
2. This increases risk of failure of the unit (however, it is possible that the thermal protection may still work -- or maybe not!)
3. The lid stays off, for necessary cooling but at cost of increased EMI and risk of exposed voltages*.

*The voltages themselves are not at risk, but an idiot or pet touching the inside could meet with a nasty surprise. You could make a screen for the top, of course, if you have hardware talents beyond mine (screwing and unscrewing).

I plan to put some adhesive heat sinks on the MOSFETs, and ... maybe nothing else.

It would be cool to know how hot the heat sinks are getting. I can report that a small piece of candle wax will liquefy (so 50-70 deg. C I think.) Droplet of 91% isopropyl alcohol or water did not flash to steam immediately so that was a good sign. It would be good to know far one could run the amp sans fan ... works for me.

Perhaps Behringer is cheap junk, etc. But this criticism comes from audio snobs who think their eqiupment is better just because it's more expensive. Certainly almost any amp is going to be more expensive. Better? Perhaps, but I'm happy with my class D cheapie, thank you very much. But then, I'm listening to [gasp!] "Bose 901" -- just those two words can send any self-respecting audiophile into a rug-chewing, foaming-at-the-mouth paroxysm.
I opened up my unit... can you source any "adhesive heat sinks on the MOSFETs" I looked on ebay but can not find anything all that great. Looks like we will need 4 of them or one that can bridge across?
post #53 of 138 Old 04-25-12, 03:55 PM

Can anyone confirm wether the INUKE1000 has variable speed or not (as I wrote above, my fan seems to go on full speed directly when turned on...)

Thanks in advance
Per

post #54 of 138 Old 04-28-12, 07:18 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
Per Lindgren wrote: View Post
Can anyone confirm wether the INUKE1000 has variable speed or not (as I wrote above, my fan seems to go on full speed directly when turned on...)

Thanks in advance
Per
I can confirm I had the NU1000DSP, Now I sold that and got a 3000DSP and both have fan with variable speed.

When you turn it on the fan is low but audible, If you send some test tones 20, 30 40 HZ at pretty loud levels you should here the fan rev up.
post #55 of 138 Old 04-28-12, 07:20 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
I've just got myself a 1000DSP. The fan goes on directly when powered on. To

Sound of the fan is terrible, way to loud for home cinema I believe. DSP functions looks good though.

You people owning 1000DSPs what are you experiences with fan speed, and modifications...

Best,
Per
Behringer did not design these for home theater use. they are designed to be back stage at a rock concert !

if they were smart they could maybe design a HT version.

That being said I think with a New fan, Take the shroud out inside and throw on some heatsinks and this will purr.

Its that shroud making most of the noise. Turbulent air.
post #56 of 138 Old 04-29-12, 02:20 AM

From the previous discussion, it seems that the fan should be variable, but at least in my unit it goes on full (or at least at high rev with lots of sound). A reason could be that they have mounted a 12v fan (instead of a 24v). As the unit is on warranty I'll not open it up, instead I'll just return it for a new one.

It will be used to drive two subs (Peerless SLS12). Would you recommend to take a 3000 instead.

Best,
Per
post #57 of 138 Old 04-29-12, 07:04 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
From the previous discussion, it seems that the fan should be variable, but at least in my unit it goes on full (or at least at high rev with lots of sound). A reason could be that they have mounted a 12v fan (instead of a 24v). As the unit is on warranty I'll not open it up, instead I'll just return it for a new one.

It will be used to drive two subs (Peerless SLS12). Would you recommend to take a 3000 instead.

Best,
Per
I suggest the 3000.
post #58 of 138 Old 05-23-12, 03:02 PM
Shackster
Ash

Quote:
k9vap wrote:

The best fix is a simple 2w 120-150R resistor in series with the red lead of the fan. The stock fan will do. This slows the fan down acceptably noise-wise, but still generates sufficient airflow to keep the amp cool in a domestic environment.
Hi k9vap

I have just tried this with a 150R resistor on the red lead but I could not get the fan to spin ? I even un-soldered and soldered on the other way round but still no spin up on the fan ?

Are you sure it's the red wire ?? I also checked with a multi metre and I could see 150.

I'am sure I 'm doing something wrong

My Home Cinema

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #59 of 138 Old 05-23-12, 09:08 PM
Shackster

For fschris about a month ago if you're still interested, I did buy my heat sinks off ebay. Here are ones that I used (or very similar):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koolance-8x-...item4165a5d0bc

I used 6 per NU3000 (there are 2 mosfets for the PSU I assume). I don't know whether they actually improve cooling but they haven't fallen off yet (2-3 months now). Also, no they must be separate because the stock heatsinks are live with different voltages.
post #60 of 138 Old 05-23-12, 09:51 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
StanDingwave wrote: View Post
For fschris about a month ago if you're still interested, I did buy my heat sinks off ebay. Here are ones that I used (or very similar):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koolance-8x-...item4165a5d0bc

I used 6 per NU3000 (there are 2 mosfets for the PSU I assume). I don't know whether they actually improve cooling but they haven't fallen off yet (2-3 months now). Also, no they must be separate because the stock heatsinks are live with different voltages.
Thanks... I was thinking I could just use one long heatsink... I guess the individual ones are the way to go.