Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 138 Old 06-11-12, 08:42 AM
Shackster

Re: Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS

I put this in my build thread but thought I would also add it here.

I just swapped the fan out in my iNuke3000DSP with one of the 80mm Nocua fans. This sucker is 100% dead silent now. Even with the stock shroud back on, I can not hear the fan at all. And this fan still introduces plenty of air flow into the case as I can put my hand near the front grill and still feel air flow being pushed out of the grill.

I highly recommend this fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 138 Old 06-11-12, 09:22 AM

I've done a fan swap too, (fractal design PC fan rated at 11 db <-which is of course bogus....). I put heat sinks on the transistors (those that stick to memory chips for over clocking graphics cards). It is really silent even with the shroud. I placed the fan the same way as stock fan, i.e. blowing from the back through to the front. Maybe it would have been better to place it other way around, at least for my setup, but maybe the idea with the shroud would be lost that way. Didn't have access to a heat camera, so I do not know if something heats up... but so far nothing bad has happened (fingers crossed).

Best,
Per
post #63 of 138 Old 06-11-12, 09:37 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Nocua fans are great they cost abit more but i use them in my PCs at home.

post #64 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 03:16 AM
Shackster

Hi guys, I have also done a fan swap, but a different kind...

I used a 120mm computer fan and I mounted it in the lid. Cut a hole for it, screwed it on, connected it to the stock fan's wiring.

I haven't screwed the top back on yet because I'm not done in there yet. I'm working on some other things, like I might add a relay to power on

the amp using my receiver's power-on signal, so that when I turn my receiver on the amp turns on, and when receiver turns off, amp turns off.

Anyway, just another idea With this mod the amp is much quieter during normal use, and the 120mm fan can move a LOT of air so I have NO

worries about the unit staying cool. A typical 120mm computer fan moves about twice as much air at the same voltage as a typical 80mm computer

fan.

The fan still gets going fast if it's working hard, for example when I play a sustained 20Hz test tone with the gain up 3/4 of the way, the fan

soon reaches top speed. However, even just backing off to 30Hz, the fan speed lowers to a quieter level. It seems to work well so far.

The hardest part is cutting through the aluminum lid.

I was going to post pics but I'm not allowed to yet apparently. Man this forum has the strictest rules I have ever seen
post #65 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 08:36 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

you can use image shack to post your pics.... I would like to see that MOD!
post #66 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 09:14 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
you can use image shack to post your pics.... I would like to see that MOD!
i second this
post #67 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 11:01 AM
Shackster

Well it says you can't link to other sites until you have 5 posts (I think this would include ImageShack but not sure).
post #68 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 11:14 AM
Shackster

OK here are the pics, I did warn you the cuts were a little sloppy LOL... I was in a hurry, and frankly I don't care that much how the top of my subwoofer amp looks (it's hidden in my setup). This is also unfinished, I plan on adding a grille:

Also can anyone else spot the silly mistake I made? Give up? I'll tell you... I posted here in an iNuke 1000 thread, my amp is an iNuke 3000dsp LOL... BUT, in my defense, the 2 amps appear to have identical fan setups so the same mods should work for both hehe...

Edit: What the , the pictures aren't showing. I know I linked them correctly, I participate in many different forums and this is the first one I have used that wouldn't accept Flickr pictures. This forum just doesn't like me lol... Well, here are links for now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6169308...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6169308...in/photostream

Last edited by walkerstop; 10-19-12 at 11:20 AM.
post #69 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 11:52 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

thank you very much, walkerstop
post #70 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 12:41 PM
Shackster

My NU3000 "no fan, no top" mod is still working well after several months of daily use. It still does go "protect" occasionally but only if way loud or lots of bass. I am still driving two Bose 901 II per channel. One "mod" I did have to make this past summer was to make two sound-deadening barriers to appease my neighbor who is one of those odd people who likes to sleep at night

If I had time or talent, I would like to make a perforated top for the NU3000. It would look "cool" and probably allow enough circulation to cool as well, to use a punch or drill to make a zillion holes in the top, perhaps with a nice design like they used to do with antique "pie safes".
While it probably doesn't merit a photo, in essence what I did was cut foam board (for mounting) and glued two layers (4" total) of Owens-Corning 705 "acoustic fiberglass" and then covered with a white sheet (facing to outdoors) for appearance and control of loose fibers. I found out "too late" that this fiberglass is supposed to be for panels, not for soundproofing. Nonetheless, it works fine and the neighbor has not called (or threatened to call) the police since the barriers were installed, and he even helps me with my yard work