Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 01:05 PM
Shackster

Re: Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS

Quote:
StanDingwave wrote: View Post
My NU3000 "no fan, no top" mod is still working well after several months of daily use. It still does go "protect" occasionally but only if way loud or lots of bass. I am still driving two Bose 901 II per channel. One "mod" I did have to make this past summer was to make two sound-deadening barriers to appease my neighbor who is one of those odd people who likes to sleep at night

If I had time or talent, I would like to make a perforated top for the NU3000. It would look "cool" and probably allow enough circulation to cool as well, to use a punch or drill to make a zillion holes in the top, perhaps with a nice design like they used to do with antique "pie safes".
While it probably doesn't merit a photo, in essence what I did was cut foam board (for mounting) and glued two layers (4" total) of Owens-Corning 705 "acoustic fiberglass" and then covered with a white sheet (facing to outdoors) for appearance and control of loose fibers. I found out "too late" that this fiberglass is supposed to be for panels, not for soundproofing. Nonetheless, it works fine and the neighbor has not called (or threatened to call) the police since the barriers were installed, and he even helps me with my yard work
Hey that's cool that you can run it with no fan!! That is encouraging.

It does seem to me like the fan speed might not actually be temperature-based, but maybe it's current based or something? Because in my testing, it seems like if you push the amp hard, the fan speed goes into high even if the chips don't feel hot yet. Does that make sense?

That makes me think that with a 120mm fan, the fan control logic may be more aggressive than it really needs to be, so I was thinking about doing a trick often done with computer fans to make them quieter: solder a resistor inline with one of the fan wires. I'd expect this to make the fan run slower at any given input voltage, so the fan speed could still go faster or slower depending on the amp's usage, but overall the range of speeds would be slower.

As for your "no top, no fan" mod, and how you were thinking of drilling holes in the top: Just wanted to mention that the top is pretty easy to drill through. However, I can imagine it would be a lot of work to drill all those holes. May I suggest that you consider instead, cutting out a big hole in the top and covering it with something like speaker grill cloth, or metal mesh, or perforated metal or something with decent airflow?

One thing that comes to mind is expanded aluminum, with the diamond shaped holes, you could cut a hole and attach a piece of expanded aluminum from the backside of the top cover That might look cool...

I had another idea that might work for you, since your unit works without any fan MOST of the time. Have you considered just upgrading the heatsinks on the components that get hot? Maybe using heatsinks that big with tall fins, lots of surface area. Either one long skinny heatsink across all of the chips, or small individual heatsinks for each chip.

You can find heatsinks like this that are sold for computer use, intended to be used as either for RAM heatsinks, or chipset heatsinks. Then you can attach them with thermal epoxy (NOT thermal tape, that stuff is lame).

Since your amp only needs more cooling when pushed hard, I bet with the little extra help from better heatsinks, you could probably have adequate cooling just from convection! I am seriously considering trying this with my amp if I can find some heatsinks that fit the bill. Then I would just fill in the hole I made for the fan with a grille, or maybe even just leave the fan there in case i ever need to re-connect it. On second though, I would probably just add a toggle switch to the back of the case, so that I can enable or disable the fan at will

I love modding stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 01:19 PM
Shackster

Hmm I wonder if you bent the existing copper "heatsinks" so they point straight up, and then thermal epoxied these to the top of each chip, if it would help enough to eliminate the fan?

http://dx.com/p/aluminum-cooler-heat...35817?item=116

Digikey also has tons of heatsinks to choose from but they are more expensive.

Here is a pretty cool one that isn't too expensive and I'm guessing would be overkill for each chip
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1072-ND/340365

Last edited by walkerstop; 10-19-12 at 01:27 PM.
post #73 of 138 Old 10-19-12, 05:04 PM
Shackster

Has anyone come up with a solution to automatically power on / off this amp with the receiver?

My receiver it turns out doesn't have a switched AC socket or a remote trigger (it has a trigger output but only for zone 2 )

I'm thinking of using one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...d_rhf_ee_p_t_1

Whaddaya think?

post #74 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 12:04 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Nocua fans are great they cost abit more but i use them in my PCs at home.
+1 on Noctua fans.
post #75 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:11 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

I am not sure if I posted these before but this is my MOD. Along with the new Noctua fan and these vga heatsinks the Amp is plenty cool even when torturing with Transformers Dark of the moon. This is the NU3000DSP.

post #76 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

is that a noctua fan never seen an all black one?all the noctua fans ive seen look like this.

post #77 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:29 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Yes, that's what they look like. That pic was 'pre' fan replacement. Noctua fans are awesome.
post #78 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:31 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

before replacement right.i thought you was saying that black fan was a noctua.
post #79 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:36 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

I am not sure why Behringer cant read all these forums and makes these changes into production. and change the case to black. Whats so hard about the vga heatsinks and a quiet fan. I understand these are designed for the PRO set up however I am sure they have sold more to HT builders.
post #80 of 138 Old 10-20-12, 02:37 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

email them a link to this thread.maybe they will use what you did.