Help me connect a plate amp to two sub boxes - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-11, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Marce

Help me connect a plate amp to two sub boxes

I bought and have a MiniDSP amp version coming in the next few days and need some advice of how to wired it. Right now I have a dual sealed opposed 15" sub (JBL GTI MKI DVC6ohm drivers) wired for a 6ohm load. I'm thinking of adding a second box with one 15" GTI driver for a total of three drivers and two boxes, which when wired, will give the amp a final load of 4ohm. This set-up will let the amp (2,400W at 4ohm with DSP) provide 800W to each of the three drivers which is exactly what these drivers are rated for. I could just use the amp on the dual opposed sub which at 6ohm will provide close to 1,000W to each driver. The dual opposed sub has 4.7cf of internal space and the single sub box will be half that, fully stuffed. This MiniDSP amp is modified by Nathan at Funky Waves with a different EQ program, etc. It's not cheap, but I wanted a powerful Class-D plate amp over a pro amp due to no fan noise, voltage issues, better efficiency, smaller size and convenience, which it has with the DSP built in.

Adding the second box with the one 15" driver, I should get a couple more db's and perhaps have the posibility of having better bass reponse in my room. I would place the amp in one of the boxes and run the wiring from one box to the other through one speaker terminal plate in each box, would that work? I was told that with the EQ of the amp, all drivers can be EQ together. I could place the smaller one driver box on top of the dual sub box. The other option I was thinking is to run longer wiring and place the box half-way on the side wall or about 5' away from my seat, just behind the sofa which is were I have some space available. The dual sub box is going in front of the room, in the right corner, about 11' away. With this set-up, I "should" have better overall bass response but the EQ might not be able to EQ the second box, corrrect? If it does, it will EQ it the same way as the the dual sub box, no? With each sub having a different distance from my seat, that might not work out as I want, right? Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed, thanks.

Last edited by spanish68; 12-15-11 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-11, 08:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Help me connect a plate amp to two sub boxes

The 15" GTI is a single coil 4 ohm driver, correct?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-11, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Marce

No, the JBL GTI is a DVC6ohm driver.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-11, 01:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Sorry, my mistake.

Yes, you can run the wiring from one box to the other through one speaker terminal plate in each box as long as all three end up being wired series/parallel for a 4 ohm load. Both boxes will be EQ'd whether they are separated or not and they will be EQ'd the same way. But as you say, with the different distances from the seat it might not work out as you want. All you can do is try it and see how it turns out.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-11, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Marce

Mike, thanks. I think I will try it and see how it turns out.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-17-11, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Marce

If I have the two sub boxes in a different location from each other, does it matter in which sub box I put the plate amp in?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-11, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Either one will do.