ep series amps too old? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-12, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

ep series amps too old?

Looking at building my own sub. I see some EP amps for sale, looking at an ep2500 for example, used of course. I see them typically around $230-$300. At this point are they maybe too old, like a fox body mustang.
Should I really be looking at a much lower powered inuke1000 with DSP, or with a feedback destroyer or maybe down the road getting a minidsp am I better off picking up one of this powerful ep2500s and not worrying about it breaking down? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-12, 05:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: ep series amps too old?

Buyer beware on anything you buy used. A lot of the time you can find deals out there. In the past when I sold my mint condition stuff I sold it for half the cost because I wanted to make a deal for someone else. But thats just me.

The EP2500, in my opinion, is one of the best deals as far as power amps out there. I think the Peavey IPR's are pretty amazing and are the Yamaha line.

Crest has a new line coming out also with DSP called the Crest Prolite that will be very budget friendly.The 2.0 no dsp cost $379 and 3.0 no dsp $479 roughly. You can also find QSC PL series used and they are very good amps also.

I would try and see if all the lights are functioning and the amp operates as required before purchasing anything used. And a new EP2500 is only about 370 anyways. You might be able to shop around for a better price.

Just my .02

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-12, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Cool thanks, ill do a little more research on that. This spawns another question. Does anyone have any thoughts on amps with DSP like the inuke series vs a minidsp product?

post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-12, 05:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I would prefer the minidsp over the Behringer DSP. But if the DSP comes with the amp, use it and see if you like it or need any more EQ. Then go from there.

I have not heard many reviews on the Inuke's DSP. SO I can not comment.

But I will be using a MiniDSP for all EQ on my system because it allows me to use just three Mini's to control all my channels. Then I just need to add an amp. But if the amp fails I will only have to replace the amp and still have EQ. But I need multiple amps for my setup.

You may like to just have one amp for your subs and use the built in EQ. Either way the Mini DSP, IMO, is leaps and bounds above the built in EQ available on the Inuke but that may be all you want.

MiniDSP does make a plat amp now but that is quite a few more dollars then the Inuke. And are you using these amps for your subs or just gathering information?

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-12, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok cool. I have an older DSP. Sounds like I can stick with that and if need be pick up a minidsp down the road. I'm looking at building a sub, and currently picking out an amp. Current looking at a Dayton and fi driver.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-12, 10:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Well for budget you can buy a plate amp from PE, like the Dayton, or you can buy a O Audio plate amp also. I used to have an O Audio plate amp and really liked it.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-01-12, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I looked at those, and they seemed like decent options. My thoughts were if I snag a ep2500 ill have enough power for any sub option I may pursue. And I don't mind having another component so there isn't an issue there. Also, down the road if all goes well I may build a second sub and feel I could drive both with an ep2500. Should have no problem driving two Dayton 15" HFs if I go that route. But still doing my homework on that as well as following some threads with guys kind of doing the same thing currently.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-01-12, 05:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

An EP2500 and two Dayton 15's sounds like a good plan.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-12, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for your help! If you have any suggestions or links in reference to the amps or the sub build in general ill take em. Either way thanks again!!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-03-12, 12:01 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Link to amps or sub builds?

There are many sub builds on this forum so its just a matter of size really.

Here is a link to a pair of monsters.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...50w-4ohms.html

These are the Dayton MkIII's but there are many builds using different Dayton and other drivers