Nady spa2400 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Nady spa2400

So I have been thinking about building a new subwoofer lately and started looking around at amps and doing some pricing. I ran across a Nady spa2400 for about $290 shipped and was wondering if this is a good amplifier for a subwoofer in my home. I cant find a whole lot about it other than its possibly the same thing as the behringer ep2500. Which if that really is a the case i think it would be a great buy. So figured i would throw it out here and ask if anybody here has experience with this amp or if i should just stick to finding a deal on an ep2500 or 4000.
Looking at using the Stereo Integrity HT18" sub in about 11cu ft box tuned around 18 hz. I know that amp is much larger than i need for just the one but i might decide later i want 2 that and its not much more expensive to get the larger amp so why not? If i looked at that right 2 of these at 600watts each would be over 120db at 20hz.
Also while i am at it...what is the recommended equipment for the subsonic filter these days? If i got the nady amp i was slightly hopeful their CX-22SW Crossover would work since it doesnt seem that bad expensive compared to some of the other subsonic filters i have seen previously. Pretty sure from what i saw in the book the nady crossover wont work for that. I am not to familiar with them though so looking for input and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 02:12 PM
Shackster
Dave

Re: Nady spa2400

It appears that the Low Cut (High Pass) of the crossover is 30 Hz. Depending on what you are after that may be to high. It would be for me.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 06:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
What is the recommended equipment for the subsonic filter these days?
The Behringer MIC2200 is used by many and works well. You can set a Hi-Pass Filter as low as 10 hz.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_Channel.html

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
LMN8R wrote: View Post
It appears that the Low Cut (High Pass) of the crossover is 30 Hz. Depending on what you are after that may be to high. It would be for me.
Kinda what i was thinking. Thank!
post #5 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Mike. that should do it for sure. was hoping there was something that wasnt so feature rich at lower price points. Looks like that will probably be about it.

Forgot i need to check out adapting over to proaudio from my home audio products.

So nobody familiar with the nady amp?
post #6 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 09:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I haven't heard much about Nady.

post #7 of 19 Old 09-08-12, 10:25 PM
Shackster
Dave

Quote:
croutonavenger wrote: View Post
Thanks Mike. that should do it for sure. was hoping there was something that wasnt so feature rich at lower price points. Looks like that will probably be about it.

Forgot i need to check out adapting over to proaudio from my home audio products.

So nobody familiar with the nady amp?
I use an Elemental Designs EQ.2 but new it's also $100, has an adjustable HPF and 2 band parametric EQ. I picked mine up used for $50.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-10-12, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

just another thought here...if i didnt end up using a pro audio amp and used an old school home audio amp like say a carver adcom hafler something of the sort. Do those already have that high pass filter in them? if not how do i handle that then?
post #9 of 19 Old 09-10-12, 02:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Most home audio amps don't have a HPF. For those you would need a Reckhorn, Elemental Designs EQ.2, or a Mini DSP. The Behringer MIC2200 would not be an option due to the voltage mismatch between pro audio and home audio.

post #10 of 19 Old 09-10-12, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

hmm that mini dsp looks like a matter of plug it into the computer set the filter how i want it plug it to my LFE out and then to the amp from there...simple enough. over priced but atleast its small.
Now i guess i need to decide if i should use home audio stuff. I am thinking they would be nice to have. I would think the sound quality of a carver would be a good bit better than say a behringer. Price perwatt is still better on the behringer but if i go used on the carver it wont be to far off.