replacement amp for a velodyne ct 150 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 11-07-12, 10:59 AM
Senior Shackster
bg

Re: replacement amp for a velodyne ct 150

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
The CT 150 is a sealed design and chances are the original amp had some degree of boost in the 30 hz range. Since the measured response of the sub starts to drop off at 25 hz a replacement amp is going to need a sub sonic filter in the mid 20 hz range. The Bash 300 is up to the task if you're willing to change 2 resistors. The amps default subsonic filter is 17.7hz but it can be changed to 25 hz wth 2 db of boost in the 31-35 hz range.

With the sub being 15 years old I would not recommend a 500 watt amp.
My search shows this to be a vented design, and the amp does employ some type of feedback to reduce distortion. I suggest a search for an exact replacement on ebay, or contact Velodyne for repair. They may charge you a flat rate which may be cheaper than a decent replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 11-07-12, 12:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Yes, you are correct, an image shows a slot port. Strange the OP never mentioned the fact when I said it was sealed. Regardless, I would still recommend the Bash amp with a modified HPF for a replacement.

Name:  ct150.gif
Views: 1126
Size:  28.1 KB

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 23 Old 11-07-12, 04:24 PM
exm
Shackster

I am not sure if it's possible for this model, I just want to point OP to my thread where I actually disabled the plate amp and used an external amp for my Kef subwoofer.

post #14 of 23 Old 11-08-12, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

Let me see if I understood you both correctly:

I should go with the Bash amp because it can be modded to fix/fit any problems specific to the CT150? That way I don't waste money on an amp that I can't use?

Thanks so much for being very patient with my noobness.

Day
post #15 of 23 Old 11-08-12, 10:40 AM
Senior Shackster
bg

The BASH amp is good because it's easy to mod if needed. Being that this is a ported sub, it would be good to know what the tuning frequency is. That's a good place to start for the amp mods.

I saw a post where some guy powered this sub with an external amp when his amp died, and he was happy with the results. So I don't think you lose much by not having the distortion-reducing feedback.

Have you checked with Velodyne just to see if it's possible to repair your amp, and what the cost would be?
post #16 of 23 Old 11-08-12, 02:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
bgarcia17 wrote: View Post
The BASH amp is good because it's easy to mod if needed. Being that this is a ported sub, it would be good to know what the tuning frequency is. That's a good place to start for the amp mods.
Agreed. If you could tell us the internal width, height, and length of the port it would be a tremendous help.

post #17 of 23 Old 11-08-12, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

Hi bgarcia17! Welcome to the discussion.

I'm very curious where you read about someone powering his CT150 with an external amp. I like to keep my options open.

I did indeed inquire with Velodyne as to how much to repair my sub. The quote I received was $230 to service the amp, $406 + shipping for a replacement amp. And now you know why I'm on this forum seeking advice.

I will get cracking on getting the measurements. Please advise me where to start the measurements. I assume you want me to remove the amp (i.e. Unscrew it) from the cabinet and measure the amp's dimensions. I could also, to the best of my abilities, try to measure the remaining room within the enclosure.

As always, thanks for your help.

Day
post #18 of 23 Old 11-29-12, 05:14 PM
Shackster

My Understanding is the port is tuned to 25 HZ is there still a need to change the resistors? Im in a similar situation.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-29-12, 07:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Are you sure it's 25 hz? have you measured the dimensions of the port?

post #20 of 23 Old 12-04-12, 01:39 PM
Shackster

Well I actually pulled that off some specs on the web but i can measure it when i get home. I now have a bash 300 and the box for the CT-150. Looks like i'm going to need a new driver as well. Any ideas for something below $200.