replacement amp for a velodyne ct 150 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 11-02-12, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

replacement amp for a velodyne ct 150

I was doing a google search on how to repair my velodyne ct 150 when I came across a post on this forum. I'm a newb when it comes to DIY projects so I'm wondering how easy or complicated it is to replace the built in amp.

The person who replied suggested using a 300W BASH® Subwoofer Amplifier from oaudio. This got me to thinking in a more is better sort of way. Could I get away with using a more powerful amplifier, say a 500w? If so are there any pitfalls or warnings I need to be aware of, like setting my carpets on fire?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cryingday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-02-12, 04:29 PM
Senior Shackster

fbov

Re: replacement amp for a velodyne ct 150

I'm seeing two issues:
- form factor
- feedback.

There are many choices in the 200-300W range for plate amps intended for subwoofers. I can just about guarantee that none of them will be a drop-in replacement, and I will guarantee that none are equipped to interface with Velodyne's feedback circuit. You will find a lot with similar features, but this is a fairly old product line, so its features may not be commonly needed anymore (thinking filtered main speaker outs here).

That said, the sub will likely work without the feedback loop connected, and if you have basic woodworking skills, it's not hard to fill the old amp cut-out and cut a new one. The BASH amps (both PE and O-audio) are good, but PE's 250W is a close match to what you had. What it comes down to is the relative features... if you use speaker level signal as the input, you need speaker level inputs for example. Many people do all their filtering on the AVR and bypass the amp internal filters, making a filter bypass important. You get the idea....

I was planning to link to choices from PArts Express, but their web site has a problem with slow/no response to simple things like sort requests...

Have fun,
frank
post #3 of 23 Old 11-02-12, 05:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The CT 150 is a sealed design and chances are the original amp had some degree of boost in the 30 hz range. Since the measured response of the sub starts to drop off at 25 hz a replacement amp is going to need a sub sonic filter in the mid 20 hz range. The Bash 300 is up to the task if you're willing to change 2 resistors. The amps default subsonic filter is 17.7hz but it can be changed to 25 hz wth 2 db of boost in the 31-35 hz range.

With the sub being 15 years old I would not recommend a 500 watt amp.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-02-12, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

Thanks for the quick reply gents.

Frank,
I tried looking over parts expresses replacement plates in the 250w range and they were all discontinued. The closest that I could find was the Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Plate Amplifier. Am I missing something?

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up against going 500w. It was just a passing thought, lol. How hard/dangerous is it for a novice to replace the 2 resistors in the bash 300w you mentioned? I'm trying not get myself killed and am so far succeeding. Barely...

cryingday
post #5 of 23 Old 11-03-12, 01:26 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The Bash 300 would be your only option for this sub due to the requirements I previously stated. You would need to find someone experienced with soldering, you don't want to make a mistake and fry the amp.

But first things first. Since the sub is old, what shape is the drivers surround in? Is it showing any signs of deterioration?

post #6 of 23 Old 11-06-12, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

Hi Mike.

First thanks for your help. I have only taken the subwoofer in to a local repair shop and their diagnosis was that the amp has gone bad. Since, they asked me how to spell Velodyne, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their work so I took back possession of the CT-150.

I know someone who's very well versed with the use of a soldering iron so no problems on that front.

As far as what shape the drivers are in, I don't know. I can remove the amp plate any time and check. As far as I could tell from what the repair shop explained to me when they took a look at the subwoofer, everything looked good.

What should I look for when I remove the amp plate? If there is any deterioration, what would be some obvious signs?

Again thanks for helping out a complete newb.

Day

P.S. I was looking through Parts Express and found Yung SD300-6 300W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module with 6 dB @ 30 Hz and Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module No Boost. Could I use the Yung SD300 with 6db @30Hz boost? Or is the one without boost better for someone w/ almost no experience soldering stuff?

Last edited by cryingday; 11-06-12 at 04:27 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-06-12, 04:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Pull the grill off and take a look at the surround. Is it intact?

As for Parts Express, I think the SPA250 or the SD300-6 may be options. I've re-routered subs before to retrofit plate amps.

Where are you in Texas? I have a M&K V1B 12 just sitting here.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #8 of 23 Old 11-06-12, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cryingday

Hi Wardsweb. Glad to see a fellow Texan here.

I'm, unfortunately for the purposes of this thread, in Ft. Worth.

I pulled off the front grill and found the surround in perfect order. I'm such a new member to this forum that I don't know if I can post a picture of what I see. To clarify as best as I can without pictures, I see a round, 1/2 dome in the center of the front face. It has no/zero dents and the surrounding area is smooth as well.

From what I see of the subwoofer's exterior and from what the repair shop told me when I tried to get them to repair my subwoofer, I believe that the problem lies with the built in amp. When I bought the thing 10 years or so ago, I connected it to my home theater receiver and let it sit. I've hardly ever moved it so the exterior is about as pristine as can be.

Thanks for your help.

Day

edit 11/06/12
While browsing through Mike P.'s sig links, I found a picture that best describes what I saw when I took off the front grill. It's in post #29, picture #2 of this thread : http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...project-3.html

Last edited by cryingday; 11-06-12 at 05:10 PM. Reason: found a picture that describes what I saw when taking off the front grill
post #9 of 23 Old 11-07-12, 07:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Wardsweb wrote: View Post

As for Parts Express, I think the SPA250 or the SD300-6 may be options.
The HPF's on both those amps could be an issue with the CT 150. At least the Bash ampvcan be modified for a specific frequency.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-07-12, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
The HPF's on both those amps could be an issue with the CT 150. At least the Bash ampvcan be modified for a specific frequency.
My bad, I stand corrected.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~