Need 2ohm stable dedicated subwoofer amp. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Need 2ohm stable dedicated subwoofer amp.

I am looking for a dedicated subwoofer amp to power a couple of subwoofers I have. Something similar to the Velodyne SC-1250. The only problem with that amp is that it is not 2 ohm stable. I have two JBL GTi MKII's in a sealed enclosure so I will need two amps. I really like how simple a dedicated subwoofer amp would be vs using a pro amp and then having to add a DSP. Issues arise, when you add more components to a system. I've read that some add noise to the system and others don't have enough output voltage for the pro amp. I need a minimum of 750 watts per sub and my budget is right around $1,200 but I am willing to spend a bit more if I find the perfect solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 12:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Need 2ohm stable dedicated subwoofer amp.

Welcome!

As far as I know there are no home audio 2 ohm sub amps with that kind of power. You can get Behringer iNuke amps with or without a built in DSP and a fan modification can be done to quiet the fans. If you wired your subs each in parallel then the final load is just under 3 ohms each, a Behringer would have no problem powering them.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Welcome!

As far as I know there are no home audio 2 ohm sub amps with that kind of power. You can get Behringer iNuke amps with or without a built in DSP and a fan modification can be done to quiet the fans. If you wired your subs each in parallel then the final load is just under 3 ohms each, a Behringer would have no problem powering them.
That's what I thought. Sounds like there is quite the market for the product I'm seeking. 2 ohm stable amplifier designed to power home theater subwoofers. Variable highpass filter from 10 to 30 hz and lowpass filter variable from 50 hz to 200 hz. Simple DSP and phase adjustments. I think people would buy these up. Why are industries ignoring consumer demands???

post #4 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 02:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

2 ohm stable amplifier designed specifically to power home theater subwoofers is a niche market that not many companies are willing to consider. That's why Pro amps (with their noisy fans) are popular for our DIY needs.

post #5 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 06:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

There are some plate amps that you could use such as the MiniDSP amps. They have one that is 2x800watts. There are other high power plate amps that you could use also but they do cost considerable more.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
There are some plate amps that you could use such as the MiniDSP amps. They have one that is 2x800watts. There are other high power plate amps that you could use also but they do cost considerable more.
Can you name some of these amps? At this point, I'm willing to spend the extra money just to be done with it. It will need to have DSP built in and must be reliable.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 08:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

The MiniDSP power amps have a very capable DSP built in and available in a single channel, 2 channel or 3 channel plate amp.
http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers
Speakerpower makes plate amps also with a lot of power but with no DSP.

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 10:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

MiniDSP power amps are not rated for a 2 ohm load. Speakerpower has one amp rated a 2 ohms that is well out of your budget.

post #9 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 10:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Aren't the JBL GTi's DVC?

post #10 of 22 Old 03-10-13, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Aren't the JBL GTi's DVC?
They are dual 3 ohm subwoofers. I'm kind of regretting purchasing these because of that fact. I want my system to to look clean and the more components I add pushes me further and further away from that goal.