EP4000 Power Test - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-13, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Eric

EP4000 Power Test

I have a Behringer EP4000 I wanted to test the power output on first to see how it relates to the factory specs., and have been too busy to do it yet. I've been having a hard time figuring out if I want the SI HT D2 or D4 versions. I'm leaning towards the D2 as it will give a bit of overhead with the amp. With the D4 it will be a bit shy of the 600W speaker rating. I don't plan to push it beyond this, I just need to decide if it's better to have some headroom so the amp won't clip before it reaches the 600W level. I'll be driving one woofer per channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-13, 04:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: SI HT 18" D2 Pre-Order Info

Quote:
I have a Behringer EP4000 I wanted to test the power output on first to see how it relates to the factory specs., and have been too busy to do it yet. I've been having a hard time figuring out if I want the D2 or D4 versions. I'm leaning towards the D2 as it will give a bit of overhead with the amp. With the D4 it will be a bit shy of the 600W speaker rating. I don't plan to push it beyond this, I just need to decide if it's better to have some headroom so the amp won't clip before it reaches the 600W level. I'll be driving one woofer per channel.
Eric, for reference: I have the 15" d2 (sealed enclosure, 2.7 cu ft I think) wired for 4 ohm load on one channel of my ep4000. I actually have clipped the amp driving it. Of course at this level of power, the driver was way past xmax, but still within xmech...and VERY LOUD.

Last edited by Patzig; 03-03-13 at 06:33 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-13, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Eric

Well I got a bit of time to run a few tests on the EP4000. I was only able to test one channel at a time due to not having enough loads available. These number should be fairly close with the equipment I have on hand, including a 6 1/2 digit high quality HP DVM.

At 8 ohms RMS power just before clipping:

1khz 534W
100hz 523W
16hz 456W

With 4 ohms

1khz 858W
100hz 832W
16hz 663W

So based on this the amp is pretty close to the rated RMS power, at least with one channel driven at 100 hz and 1 khz. Obviously it would be a bit less with both channels driven due to a common transformer. But in the low bass region for whatever reason it drops considerably. Could have to do with inadequate power supply filtering. Actually for the high power this amp and similar ones put out, the filter caps I've seen in my opinion, should be much larger.

As this will only be used for my virtual pipe organ, 16hz will be the lowest limit. Looking at those numbers, I will probably use the D2 versions of SI HT subs.

Eric

post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-13, 05:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Great info Eric, thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Eric

Yeah, two other observations.

1. When running up the output power, the fan slowed way down. I assume it had to do with the DC bus dropping, and the fan at that point probably was still running at a reduced speed. I didn't run the amp hard long enough to see if the fan would kick up speed once the heatsinks heated up more.

2. Curious me had to open the top up to look in. I measured the dimensions of the toroidal power transformer, then looked some up online to see about what it was rated for. Others of similar dimension were rated for about 800VA or watts. Also I noticed the transformer had a label on it that said EP2500. I think we already know that the EP4000 is a rebadged EP2500, rated in peak power vs supposed RMS. As music is so transient, the transformer probably is acceptable. Certainly not for continuous output of a sine wave for example at a high level though.

Eric