Picking sub amp...little help deciding. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-14, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Pilk

Picking sub amp...little help deciding.

Last piece of the puzzle. I'm building a pair of Tempests and ordered 4cf flatpacks for a pair of SI18D2. Will be running separate subs in sealed boxes. Running 4 ohm load. I'm trying to decide on a amp or pair of amps to run them. Running Yamaha RXV2700 and Oppo BD103 (?) Simple. I use the crossover on the Yamaha vs. the amps.

I'm down to;
Inuke 3000 ($249) or 3000DSP ($299) Do I need the DSP? Not too excited about the fan mod either.

Crown XLS2000 ($410)

QSC GX5 ($399) Class H?

Plate amps...all currently on sale at PE.
Pair of Yung SD500 ($300) w/ or w/o Boost.
Pair of Bash S500 ($400)
Pair of Dayton SPA500 ($425)
Pair of Dayton SPA1000 ($545)

The wiring in my HT is set up to use the plate amps but then I have to deal with mounting the amps in the sub box or building another box to house them.
The Pro amps would require some speaker wires run to the sub locations but not a big deal and it would clean up my screen wall by getting rid of the RCA's and plug wires.

The Yamaha has a single sub out RCA so the Crown and plate amps are the easiest in hooking up. In my mind its between the Crown as the pro amp and between the Bash and Yung on the plates. Advice?

Last edited by Pilk; 01-26-14 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-14, 01:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Picking sub amp...little help deciding.

Your only option for a plate amp with a pair of subs would be an 8 ohm load since the amp can't handle a 2 ohm load.

The Inuke 3000 offers the most power for the money, a pair of them would be a good match for your subs.Your subs are sealed so go with the non DSP model.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-14, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Pilk

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Your only option for a plate amp with a pair of subs would be an 8 ohm load since the amp can't handle a 2 ohm load.

The Inuke 3000 offers the most power for the money, a pair of them would be a good match for your subs.Your subs are sealed so go with the non DSP model.
Running two plate amps or a single pro amp. You think I need TWO 3000's for the SI's. They are rated at 600 RMS so that was my goal. If they need more I'd move to a bigger single Inuke.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-29-14, 09:16 PM
Shackster

The inuke 3000 puts out about 550 to 600W RMS in 2 channel - 4 ohm mode.

I would like more power per sub myself, as you will not nearly be pushing the cone excursion with only 600W in that size enclosure. I model at 15 mm cone excursion out of the 23 xmax. 1,200 W gets it to 21 mm.

I have read many others with that size box and that driver that typically push 1000 and up to 1200 W. If you do not test with long term sine waves there have been few damaged drivers that I have read about, though it will exceed the manufacture's specs. If you don't want to exceed the recommended power you could increase the box size to get more out of the driver.

I like the Inuke DSP model. It has a DSP power limiter setting that you could set to control the peak power with. The Inuke 6000DSP puts out around 2000 W RMS per channel at 4 ohm, so you would need to be careful with the power or you could hurt the coils. You can download the Inuke DSP software and check it out. It is easy to use.

The difference between 600W and 1200W is 3 dbl per driver. So theoretically I think having two 1200W subs would be an additional 18" sub (3 total) at 600W. Big difference.

If you have not purchased the subs yet you could get two D4's and wire them for 2 ohm load. Then a single Inuke 3000 could be bridged for 2000W RMS. That would work well.

Lots of choices...
post #5 of 8 Old 02-01-14, 02:59 PM

I hope Pilk doesn't mind if I ask almost the same questions here. I haven't bought anything yet so I am open to all ideas.

Quote:
cellarnoise wrote: View Post

If you have not purchased the subs yet you could get two D4's and wire them for 2 ohm load. Then a single Inuke 3000 could be bridged for 2000W RMS. That would work well.

Lots of choices...
How about two D4's wired for 2 ohm load, two 6 cubic foot sealed enclosures and one Crown XLS 2000/2500? Behringers would offer more power for a smaller price but I don't want to mod a new amplifier which has a warranty. Also I have heard they aren't that reliable.

Forgive me if my planned scenario is technically impossible. I began reading about DIY subwoofers a week ago so everything is new for me.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-14, 11:34 AM
Shackster

Hello Herra,

Your planned setup looks like it would work great. Either of the Crown amps should work well. I would go with the higher powered 2500 myself. I have not used their xls line before, but have used crown amps as part of a PA system and they always worked great.

I think 6 cf cabinets would work also and get the most from the drivers.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-14, 02:58 PM

Quote:
cellarnoise wrote: View Post
Hello Herra,

Your planned setup looks like it would work great. Either of the Crown amps should work well. I would go with the higher powered 2500 myself. I have not used their xls line before, but have used crown amps as part of a PA system and they always worked great.

I think 6 cf cabinets would work also and get the most from the drivers.

Thanks. I think I'll get a XLS 2500 then.

Does it matter which SI HT18 (D2 or D4) I buy? With D2 I don't have to do that much wiring but it would be single voice coil only.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-14, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Pilk

If those SI subs can handle the extra power then, for the money, the that opens up other options. The NU6000 would be overkill but if the NU3000 puts out real power at about 600, the NU6000 should be about 1200w. About right according to these responses. Thanks guys.

Hey, if I have my Yamaha, which I use for the crossover and it also has a sub eq function, is the DSP just more than I need? I can get the NU6000 for 349 right now.