12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

I scrapped the last heat sinks because they are in-adequate. One must use a wide extrusion type heat sink if not using any forced air cooling (otherwise known as forced convection cooling) New to me and maybe new to you. ? .

Here is the modified material list-

Couple notes-

On the heat sink side you will need to grind the lip of the lid down so it sits flush with the box. This is important otherwise the heat sink won't sit flat.

For better looks - Paint the box, lid and actual box, with a flat black primer. Couple coats. Let dry to a touch then bake in the oven at 375* for 30 minutes or less. Makes the paint stick like glue. Of course you must clean the box with a cleaner (alcohol, acetone, etc) before painting.

After cutting the heat sink and SSR hole to length with a hacksaw file the edges. You're dealing with electrical so sharp edges aren't what you want.

Use Arctic Silver to attach the heat sink to the relay, without a doubt. Use the same compound to attach the heat sink (and now relay) to the electrical box.

Use rubbing alcohol to clean all surfaces before bonding anything.

Use clamps to keep pressure on the mating surfaces. With a SSR you want to get the best bond and in turn the best cooling. With the new heat sinks these things are dialed.

Any other questions please post them in this thread. I have had a couple PMs of people asking me to build these for them. After thinking about it I decided I'd rather not. Ask your questions in the post, or maybe someone else will build one for you.

You'll need to cut the heat sink down to size

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1049630282.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-807588661.jpg

Then use a jig saw and cut out a hole in the side of the box. There's three punch outs, I removed all and cut out what was left.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-3924464753.jpg

See the two small holes on the top? Enlarge the one farthest from the heat sink side of the box. This is important. Don't use the other hole.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1480178617.jpg

Get a grinder. Put the top lid on the box. You will see a lip. Grind the lip so it's flush with the box, so your heat sink will sit flat.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1011928793.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-4197703387.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-538184876.jpg

Test fit. File all the edges you cut. I chose to paint the box black, then baked it @ 375* for a little bit. Made the paint stick real good.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-70019432.jpg

Important. Your relays will be offset on the heat sink. Grab some white chalk, put heat sink on box, make your mark, then glue with the thermal epoxy.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-2091688776.jpg

Put heat sink on box and attach it with some more thermal epoxy. It doesn't take much. Clamp, let dry.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1178794028.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1004343844.jpg

Wire in the 3.5 mm jack and the rest of the wires.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-2592773320.jpg

Screw the lid on and enjoy. I also removed the punch outs on both sides of the relay. My boxes are hidden. If you have small kids etc, it would be a good idea to get some screen material and attach it. Or don't punch out the holes, but I like having the extra air / heat escape.

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1210771549.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-944089431.jpg

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-image-1023724331.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-img_3044.jpg  

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-img_3036.jpg  

12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps-img_3043.jpg  

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 04-04-14 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 02:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: 12v Trigger Box for Powering On Pro Audio Amps

How much did this all cost?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
How much did this all cost?

Well, the relays and heat sinks are the most. 53.00 just for those (2 each so cut in half if only doing one box). I searched for a while and the heat sinks are a pretty good deal, as are the relays.

A company called power i/o has some nice options but at a higher cost.

The rest are all under 10.00 items with the exception of the extension cord which will vary in cost depending on how much each person chooses to use.

For an exact amount all the prices are in the links I listed. All the links I listed are actual parts used.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 02:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Looks solid and should work well.
If your not into DIY there are a couple good options like the ethereal power centre for $70
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-joules/1.html
Or this Niles Audio trigger, I've seen them sell for also around $70
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_de...ems&catcdID=10

I have two of the Eathereal power centres and use one of them to switch my main two channel amp on via trigger and it's always worked fine

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #5 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Looks solid and should work well.
If your not into DIY there are a couple good options like the ethereal power centre for $70
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-joules/1.html
Or this Niles Audio trigger, I've seen them sell for also around $70
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_de...ems&catcdID=10

I have two of the Eathereal power centres and use one of them to switch my main two channel amp on via trigger and it's always worked fine
Thanks.

I looked high and low for a ready-made solution, and there is none. Your items above are great if you only need 15 amps, but if you need more they aren't rated for it.

Also, the Niles unit had some bad reviews.

Playing off your recommendations above one could also use a smart power strip. Again, limited to 15 amps.

I have two dedicated 20 amp lines, one for each amp- 15Kw total. So I needed 20 amp solutions.

I JUST added a second line using a MWBC and I really should have gone 10/3 30 amp service since I can blow the 20 amp fuses if being pushed hard.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 03:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Oh that's a lot of current draw, I can see the use for something like you made for that.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #7 of 30 Old 03-15-14, 09:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Can you add some pictures, I didnt quite understand what you were doing?

Nice build. I luckily dont have to do one of these builds yet. I will have some amps in the future that may need a 20amp relay but not yet.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-16-14, 10:21 AM
Shackster

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post

I looked high and low for a ready-made solution, and there is none. Your items above are great if you only need 15 amps, but if you need more they aren't rated for it.

Also, the Niles unit had some bad reviews.

Playing off your recommendations above one could also use a smart power strip. Again, limited to 15 amps.

I have two dedicated 20 amp lines, one for each amp- 15Kw total. So I needed 20 amp solutions.

I JUST added a second line using a MWBC and I really should have gone 10/3 30 amp service since I can blow the 20 amp fuses if being pushed hard.
AWESOME ingenuity and writeup! Thanks for sharing
post #9 of 30 Old 03-16-14, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Can you add some pictures, I didnt quite understand what you were doing?

Nice build. I luckily dont have to do one of these builds yet. I will have some amps in the future that may need a 20amp relay but not yet.
I will sort through the pictures and delete doubles. If I'm really bored I will try to turn them right side up.

Quote:
cowboyup wrote: View Post
AWESOME ingenuity and writeup! Thanks for sharing
Thank you. Again - all the credit goes to a guy with a screen name of notnyt, from another forum.

I just made it better. Well, what I think is better. How about what works for me better?!
post #10 of 30 Old 03-16-14, 02:47 PM
Shackster

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post

Thank you. Again - all the credit goes to a guy with a screen name of notnyt, from another forum.

I just made it better. Well, what I think is better. How about what works for me better?!
Thanks Notnyt