Is 2100 watts to much for a jl audio 12w7 ported box - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
But will I hear and feel better performance from my subwoofer . I don't want to waste the extra power . I do have two jl12w3 In sealed boxes I could use the other channel for . I also have a dual 10" drivers in a sealed box .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 05-06-14, 08:17 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Is 2100 watts to much for a jl audio 12w7 ported box

Double the power is 3db. So you may notice it a bit. Depends how your ears are. 3db is definitely better but not always noticeable. If driving only one speaker with 850watts and then increasing to 1700watts you gain 3db. If the driver is useable with this much power.

I would bridge it and see what you think. If you want more bass then I would suggest a different design or add more subwoofers. Another subwoofer and equal wattage going to it will give you 6db more than you had originally. THAT you will notice.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-06-14, 12:04 PM
Senior Shackster

morca

i would test whit teh closed boxes on the other channel.
Be carefull whit the voicecoil,they will burn also whit music.
I was there,lucky it was not my hand on the volume

Totaly burn,t it the stupid ...........you know what

Simulation is no substitute for thought.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-15-14, 11:14 AM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Any amp sounds better running at 50% max than 90% max. The gain becomes non-linear when the output gets close to the rail voltages, ie, distortion.

Just gradually increase your peak volume until your sub starts to sound different. Then pull back a little. All will be well. In all areas of home-theater bass, the motto here is "The best kind of kill is overkill".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- SOLD!

post #15 of 18 Old 06-15-14, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Hey , thanks for your input .

Did your minidsp with rew make a big difference in the performance of your subwoofers using your pro amp ?
post #16 of 18 Old 12-05-14, 10:09 PM
Shackster
weng

here's my 12W7 in a 4.65 cuft slot ported enclosure tuned to 20hz (i guess). the sub enclosure was designed for the infinity kappa 12VQ sub. i moved the 12VQ to a 1.3 cuft sealed cabinet.

i am using an inuke3000 to power both the 12W7 and 12VQ subs.

i also have a balance minidsp used as a rumble filter at the moment. did not have time to learn REW to eq them subs.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-05-14, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Nice system , I would definently recommend taking the time to check rew v5 with your mini dsp . I am not to familiar with the I nuke pro amplifiers . My crown xls 2000 is a basic pro amplifier that has a built in 20hz hpf with an option to adjust higher , but not lower. Their is also a Lpf that can be set to your likely and limiters to protect your subwoofers. It sounded pretty good without the minidsp . I have the mini dsp setup with rew now . I can definitely hear and feel a difference in bass response . It's more pronounced and more accurate. I am still learning by trial and air . Run a sweep , let rew apply auto filter correction to target settings . I also have been playing around with the butterworth filter settings to smooth out the bass response and correct some of the dips in the graphs. Yep , it's a work in progress .

Good luck with your setup and your minidsp adventures .
post #18 of 18 Old 02-23-15, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Wow , i bridged my crown xls2000 4 ohms at 2100 watts with my 12w7-3 in the same ported box, it sounds better then the 12w7 running with the 2 12w3v3 in sealed boxes splitting the power. I think i was running the 12w7 a little to lean splitting the power . The 12w7-3 now hits harder then all three together did.

I am running the original dsp rew tuning from the lower powered setup splitting the power with 12w3v3. I want to run a new sweep with the 2100 watts. But i hear that sweeps with to much power can damage the subwoofer.

Any suggestions to run a safe sweep

thanks