Is 2100 watts to much for a jl audio 12w7 ported box - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 05-03-14, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Is 2100 watts to much for a jl audio 12w7 ported box

I am back

I have been using a crown xls2000 amplifier to power my Jl audio 12w7 subwoofer in a 566 liter box . I have been using one channel of the amplifier to run the subwoofer at roughly 850 watts . The subwoofer is rated at 3 ohms and the amplifier is rated at 2 ohms 1050 watts , 4 ohms 650 watts . So That's why a day a rough rating since I am at 3 ohms in the middle 2ohms and 4 ohms . I am adding a miniDSP to the system. So I thought maybe I would run the crown xls 2000 in bridged mono mode at 2100 watts . The Jl audio 12w7 is rated at least. 500 to run properly and a 1000 watt max . The 12w7 as I mentioned is mounted in a front firing box with a front firing box coming out of a audio closet in front of my home theater room . I was thinking , more power cleaner power with less distortion . Better performance right ?

Receiver Onkyo tx sr608
Samson to boast signal RCA from receiver
MiniDSP
Crown xls2000
Jl audio 12w7 in 566 liter ported box

Optional to run second channel of crown xls2000 to run my 2 Jl audio 12w3v3s in two sealed 16x16x16 boxes.

Thank you for any suggestions my ht shack audio brothers . You guys have been awesome with all the help in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-04-14, 09:19 AM
Shackster

David Huse

My System
Re: Is 2100 watts to much for a jl audio 12w7 ported box

YOu should really look into their HT subs because their room correction is amazing and the subs they use are a little different than the car stuff. Also their responsiveness is ruined a little bit in a ported box.

Having said that there is never too much power, you can always turn it down but more power to any speaker is always best.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-04-14, 11:04 AM
Senior Shackster

morca

to much power can burn the voicecoil,s .

Simulation is no substitute for thought.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-04-14, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Hello my freind ,

This is true . I was hoping between the limiters on the crown xls2000 and maybe their might be something with my miniDSP I haven't had a chance to play with. I may be able to protect the subwoofer from damage . I am always open to words of wisdom or ideas. Or opinions
post #5 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 04:12 AM
homeboydeluxe

200 liters tuned to 20Hz will handle 1300 watts with a HPF. 500 liters is very big for that driver.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 04:20 AM
homeboydeluxe

You could build a 500lt box and tune to 14Hz, but the driver will only handle half the power then it would in the 200lt box. With the 20Hz tune, you get 115db from 20Hz on-wards, before room gain.

Used WinISD pro Alpha to sim.

John.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 05:49 AM
Shackster

in bridged mono, the XLS will only be stable down to 4ohms
post #8 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
homeboydeluxe wrote: View Post
You could build a 500lt box and tune to 14Hz, but the driver will only handle half the power then it would in the 200lt box. With the 20Hz tune, you get 115db from 20Hz on-wards, before room gain. Used WinISD pro Alpha to sim. John.

The box is 5.66 inside cuft. , 160 liters , tuned to 22 HZ . Bur I think I have the answer to my question . I will stick to using one channel of 1050 2 ohms to 850 watts at 3 ohms . Thank you fir your input . I have had a lot if have help from some cool people here at the ht shack and forgot that part of the equation .

Peace my brothers
post #9 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
littlejohn74 wrote: View Post
in bridged mono, the XLS will only be stable down to 4ohms

Your right , I think I will play it safe .

Thanks bro
post #10 of 18 Old 05-05-14, 08:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

You wont be burning VC's unless you do long duration sine wave testing. If you got carried away when listening to music or demoing a scene the damage would most likely be the suspension. I have never burned or ruined a VC ever unless during sinewave testing. Not saying it cant be done. Just its not as easy as connecting a big power amp to a small speaker and poof. I have my 100watts rms line arrays on 1500watts each and they sound fine. Tiny VC's also on the drivers.

YOU will be fine with having double the RMS power for your sub. Proper Hpass and paying attention to the subwoofer will help a LOT.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.