amp for IB setup - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-08, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Neil

amp for IB setup

Hi folks,

I would like to know if anyone has used QSC 1602 or RMX850 to drive your IB drivers? I can find these 2 locally and was hoping if it would be better than the one I'm purchasing online, the EP2500. I would be driving two Fi Q18"s IB modified drivers.

The manifold is done and wife has given me a go signal to buy the amp.

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited by v1rtu0s1ty; 01-04-08 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-08, 10:30 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: amp for IB setup

Looking good Neil...

I think the EP2500 is going to win out for the most part around here. It has proven to be very capable.

The QSC amps are pretty well respected though. I'm not sure we'll have that many users hangin' around though.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-08, 10:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

The EP2500 is actually going to be more capable than the QSC PLX1602.

But, its not like you need much power in your setup. If you could get a good deal on the 1602, I might say pick it up.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-08, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Neil

Thanks. I'm just worried about the 1602 he is selling. He said that he used it for some events when he does DJing. He also used it home. But he also said it was not frequent. He also mentioned that I can come and listen for it. Of course, most sellers will say that it was infrequently used. Problem is, I don't know what to look for when it's in front of me.

He said that the bottom price he can give to me is $320. I'm trying to haggle it for $250.

So what should I do then? I was actually planning to buy 2 more Fi18" drivers but not this year. Looks like 1602 won't be able to handle 4 drivers but EP2500 can. The reason I was leaning towards QSC is because I can get it locally although used. And also from my research, I've found that QSC is more reliable. Another good news I found last night was that my friend knows someone at Guitar Center. He can get me 10% off plus another $100 rebate that QSC is offering.

Can you guys help me with this since the model RMX1450 will be fit my budget perfectly. Currently, I have 2 Fi18"s. Will it be able to handle 4 drivers though?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC-RMX1...24-i1145671.gc

or this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crown-Xs...82-i1145678.gc

Which is better, crown or qsc?

Thanks in advance!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-08, 10:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

For the price range that you are looking at I would go with the EP2500 ($300ish)or look at e-bay or another on-line marketplace. You can find XS1200's and RMX2450's for not much more than what guitarcenter will charge you for much lesser models.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-07-08, 11:26 AM
Senior Shackster
Brian

Also consider that many people who have had problems with the reliability of the ep2500 have been carting it around and abusing it on the road because its being used by a band. When its sitting in a well ventilated and permanent spot in an ht im sure the reliability will rival the crowns you mentioned.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-09-08, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Neil

After doing a lot of research, it was tough since I have a budget limit. I'm down to 2 amps. They are Behringer EP2500 and QSC RMX 1450. I'm leaning towards the Behringer EP2500 since it's cheaper than QSC. It's currently at $249 at Guitar Center and with the help of my friend's discount, I can get it around $200-$225. I'll keep you posted guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-08, 12:58 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Uh... $200-225 would be below dealer cost... I would snag a couple.

Actually I think GC may have those priced incorrectly... so I would hurry before they figure it out. That is a very good price for an authorized dealer... unless it's refurbished or something. They have two listed on their site... one for $349, which is closer to other online prices and then the price at $249. Not sure why they have two listed. Their EP1500 is listed at $199. Obviously there is a goof or something is strange about it.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-08, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Neil

Yep, unfortunately, I have to wait for my paycheck on the 15th. I just spent 1k on my civic and odyssey 2 days ago. But yeah, I have really decided to go with EP2500. I just hope that next week, it's still on sale.