amp help svs pb12+2 clone - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 01:15 PM
matt98svt
Inactive

amp help svs pb12+2 clone

hi all,
i am in the process of building a clone of the svs pb12+2 and have some questions about the wiring. i have 2 of the svs 12.2 drivers and from what i have read they are 4ohms each. so wiring these parallel i can achieve 8ohms to the amp. i have a 2 velodyne amps i got awhile back..one rated at 600watts and the other at 1000watts..i assume since these were originally powering a single sub these ratings are at 4ohms. i figure the 1000 watt amp should push 400+ or so to each sub at 8ohms so that amp is my first choice. does this arrangement look correct? also i have two more 12.2 drivers on the way and would like to build another one of these for a friend..what aftermarket 1000watt plate amps are out there that i could use to achieve the same 400+ to each sub? thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
amp help svs pb12+2 clone-velodyne-spl-1200-2-subwoofer-rear-panel.jpg  

Attachments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 01:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Re: amp help svs pb12+2 clone

I think you have the math wrong a bit.

Typically if you double the resistance you Halve the power output. So if it does 1000 at 4 ohms, it will do ~500 at 8 Ohms. To each driver you would get ~250 or so rms watts.

to get 1000 watts at 8 ohms the amp would be rated at 2000 at 4ohms (more typical for a sub amp) and now its getting a bit more expencive.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 02:29 PM
matt98svt
Inactive

ahh i see what you mean. i think i was dividing the power at the rated 1000 watts into 4ohms and not considering it would be halved again for the 8ohms. i doubt a plate amp like this could handle a 2ohm load? im curious what the specs on the svs pb12+2 are at each sub? i was assuming they were running 8ohms by joining the subs..could they be running 2ohms?

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 07:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Are you sure its not a Dual voice coil sub with 2 sets of connections on each sub (just wanna make sure we are on the same page).

they could be running 2 ohm but thats a low resistance for any home amp to take and use let alone a flush mount amp.

Dont temp that amp with 2 ohms, it will im sure die as it not rated for that low amount. I run my EP2500 at 2 ohms bridged (not supposed to do), but i keep a close eye on it and it has an active fan in it to help out. if it dident there would be no way i would run it like that.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 08:13 PM
matt98svt
Inactive

thee subs are single voice coil..just one connection per sub.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 08:44 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

the velo amp ratings are at 4 ohms. so if your drivers are 4 ohms, use one each and you will get the RMS ratings printed ... e.g. 600 and 1000w

if you wire in series to get an 8ohm load, you get 500w for each driver.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 10:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

so it looks like either you live with 250 each sub, or use one amp per sub and see how that goes. Or, you buy another amp.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-08, 11:37 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
matt98svt wrote: View Post
hi all,
so wiring these parallel i can achieve 8ohms to the amp.
If you wire these in series you get an 8 ohm load to the amp. In parallel you'd be getting 2 ohms which could damage the amp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-08, 01:21 PM
Shackster
Robert

To take full advantage of the amp power, you need different subs. Like the Torrent Audio Mistral. It is 4 ohm DVC.

-Robert
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-08, 07:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent

Back up a step.

More than likely, those amps have customized EQ and subsonic filters tuned to the enclosure and driver Velodyne used them in. This custom EQ may or may not work well with the SVS 12.2 driver. There's no way to predict the response without knowing the EQ function.

The typical candidates for DIY use have documented subsonic filters with/without boost that is documented and adjustable as well. Jack is another (limited stock) potential source for cheap 500 watt amps with no EQ.

-Brent