Behringer EP4000 fan mod problem - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-14, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nigel

Behringer EP4000 fan mod problem

I have also posted this on another forum but, so far, I have not received a reply. I hope someone has experienced a similar problem and can advise me.
I recently modded my EP4000 and installed a quieter fan. I cut the existing wires and spliced in a new fan using a connector to tie the new fan wires to the existing wires in the amp. All worked well for a while until I had a short which disconnected the fan red wire where it is soldered on to the fan. I am not sure why it happened but I suspect (guess) that the wire was too tight and was physically pulled from the soldered connection. This tripped my mains power breaker, temporarily plunging me into darkness.
I took the lid off the amp and nothing seemed damaged or burnt except the red wire was no longer soldered to the fan. This wire looked slightly burnt. Rather than messing around with solder, I simply replaced the fan with a new one. However the new fan does not work. The amp itself is working, but the 24V power supply to the fan is not delivering any power. As I said, I cannot see any signs of damage. Is this something simple? Is there a fuse or breaker somewhere that I haven't seen? The fuses on the main power channels are both OK and the breaker on the back of the amp has not tripped.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-14, 08:12 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Behringer EP4000 fan mod problem

Did you measure to see if your getting any voltage from the fan wires?

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-14, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nigel

No, I don't currently have anything measure with. I could touch the wires together and see if there is a spark, but I am reluctant to do that in case I damage something, or damage me.
The old fan was turning until it went pop, but now the new fan is not turning.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-14, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

You shouldn't be attempting to make repairs with a unit plugged in. You should have a multimeter to test components with if you plan to make electronics modifications. If you have power to the amps you should have power to the fan. I suspect you are missing a step in your attempts.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-03-14, 08:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

It sounds like the loose wire shorted out the amps power supply. Unless there's an obvious fuse it might not be easy to fix. Look for a fuse that is soldered onto the board somewhere?

Also, shorting wires to look for a spark is a horrible way to troubleshoot. Please don't ever do that! Use a DMM and be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-14, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nigel

Thanks for the response.
I will try and avoid electrocuting myself. The amp is still working, the main power amps still work on both channels. However there is no 24V supply available for the fan and so I am not using the amp in case it overheats without a fan. I think anything beyond replacing a fuse or reconnecting a fan is beyond my level of skill in electronics. It sounds like a job for the repair shop.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-14, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
nwhitta wrote: View Post
Thanks for the response.
I will try and avoid electrocuting myself. The amp is still working, the main power amps still work on both channels. However there is no 24V supply available for the fan and so I am not using the amp in case it overheats without a fan. I think anything beyond replacing a fuse or reconnecting a fan is beyond my level of skill in electronics. It sounds like a job for the repair shop.
It sounds to me like you simply need to reconnect the fan properly. If a fuse was blown you wouldn't have power to the amps themselves. I suggest using some sort of connector instead of just soldering.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-14, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nigel

UPDATE: I took the EP4000 into a local repair shop. He advised me that the rectifier on the 24V board had blown. He replaced it for $50 and now everything is working well. What a great amp. The new super quiet fan is completely inaudible from more than 2ft away from the amp. A happy ending :-)