Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Amps | High Pass Filters (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/)
-   -   Noob question about INUKE 6000DSP + dual subs (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/145025-noob-question-about-inuke-6000dsp-dual-subs.html)

dasa2131 03-08-16 07:51 PM

Noob question about INUKE 6000DSP + dual subs

Hello folks,

I've just ordered two subwoofer combos from Parts Express (18" Dayton HO driver and the knock-down 4 ft^3 enclosure). I'd like to run it with an Inuke 6000DSP. As you can probably tell, I'm very new to this. I'm clueless regarding pro-audio stuff. What confuses me is I don't exactly know what to purchase to hook up the 6000DSP to my reciever and subwoofers. Here's what I think I need:

A. Inuke 6000DSP
B. Rolls MB15b ProMatch balanced/unbalanced converter (I read through some reviews on Parts Express where they suggested this was required)
C. Neutrik NL4FC Speakon Connector (qty 2) - to connect the amp to my two subs
D. XLR to RCA cable (to connect from my receiver to the amplifier)

I realize I'm missing some cables for the Rolls MB15b - can someone please suggest what I need here? And what other cables/parts am I missing?

I apologize in advanced if this question has already been asked and answered 100 times on these forums. I looked a bit, but quickly got confused.

Thank you very much!

Dave Andrews

DqMcClain 03-08-16 08:23 PM

Re: Noob question about INUKE 6000DSP + dual subs

You can probably skip the Rolls MB15b. The amp will take an unbalanced signal if you use RCA -> 1/4" Phono and plug it into the bigger hole in the center of the input connector. That saves you the Rolls device, and the required interconnects.

If you have to position the amp a long way away from the AVR, and that requires running cables past hings that cause interference (power conduits, dimmer switches, fluorescent ballasts, etc), then the MB15b might be beneficial. But if the cable run is short, save yourself the money. (and you can always add it later if you need to)

For the speaker connectors, you don't need the NL4FC, the NL2FC will do just fine. The NL4 version has 4 poles for connection to 4-conductor speaker cable. In a Home Theater application, this is not necessary and simply adds additional cost for no benefit. It also introduces the possibility that you my wire your connectors wrong and experience strange performance from the system.

So, you'll connect AVR to iNUKE using RCA male->1/4" Male. Connect iNUKE to SUBWOOFER using NL2FC->Whatever You Put On The Back Of The Box. That should be all you need.

dasa2131 03-09-16 06:23 PM

DqMcClain,

I really appreciate you answering my questions! I ordered the remaining parts (including the NL2FC connectors) today. I'm really excited about building these giant subs.
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you one more question. What items do I need to purchase to be able to record the sub levels with a microphone (so I can adjust the EQ within the INUKE software)? In other words, I'd like to be able to measure the subs' output in my room and adjust the frequencies accordingly to get everything 'flat'. I hope I said that right.

Anyway, thanks again,

Dave

DqMcClain 03-11-16 11:46 PM

No problem! That's what we're all here for... either asking questions or answering them.

This forum has a free download for REW (Room Eq Wizard) which will give you analysis of the in-room response of your subs. All you need is a good quality reference mic, and a USB interface if the mic doesn't already include one.

The MiniDSP UMIK-1 is a popular choice, but there are plenty of affordable reference mics that will do the job. The Dayton EMM-6, the PreSonus PRM1, the dBX Driverack RTA, and the Behringer ECM8000 are all reasonably priced and adequate for this application. For an interface, all you really need is an XLR input, a USB output, and phantom power. The Behringer UM2 fits the bill nicely. There are cheaper options, but some require you to be able to send an RCA signal to the interface from the microphone. If you don't have a mixer, this can be tricky.

Once you've got all that, start digging through the REW forum for information on how to get it all dialed in they way you like.

Enjoy.

EDIT: The UMIK-1 outputs directly to USB, so that's the most hassle-free solution.

86eldel68-deactivated 03-12-16 08:07 AM

A more-costly - but very straightforward to use - alternative to the UMIK-1 + REW is the all-in-one Dayton OmniMic V2, available through parts-express.com.

With either option you'll (obviously) need a laptop.