Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Amps | High Pass Filters (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/)
-   -   Behringer EP4000 - Pics - Fan Mod - ETC (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/23528-behringer-ep4000-pics-fan-mod-etc.html)

GSX-R_Rider 12-07-09 05:01 PM

Behringer EP4000 - Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

5 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would snap a few photos of one of my new EP4000s with the top case off (just finished a fan swap with fan from Digikey part # P9739-ND). I always thought it was cool when I initially started researching these amps to see the pics others posted of the "guts" of the amp so I thought I would share a few of my own. I also know there was a little controversy with the EP4000 being called a rebadged EP2500. I own two of the EP2500s already and love them so much I bought two of the EP4000s to provide sub and main power in a new system I am building. Not sure if these pictures really show an conclusive differences internally to the EP2500. The build date of my new EP4000s is July 2009.

Also - I never modded the fan in my EP2500s as the amps sit in a different area than my AV system so the sound was not an issue but if anybody is on the fence about doing this mod it is EASY. The difference between the stock fans and the new fans is night and day. The new fan is so quiet I had to check to see if it was even working when I plugged it in!

Anyway hope you guys like the pics.

Anthony 12-07-09 05:42 PM

Re: Behringer EP4000 - Naked Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

Very nice. I haven't gotten around to hacking up my gear, I either build it DIY from scratch or leave it alone :)

But this sounds like a worthwhile mod. The main knock on pro gear is noisy fans and this solves it.

GSX-R_Rider 12-07-09 06:06 PM

Quote:

Anthony wrote: (Post 213442)
Very nice. I haven't gotten around to hacking up my gear, I either build it DIY from scratch or leave it alone :)

But this sounds like a worthwhile mod. The main knock on pro gear is noisy fans and this solves it.

Yah - the funny is thing is as I did this mod down in my basement workshop at home I could literally hear my other EP2500 dual amps running over 15 feet away as my wife was using the main AV system upstairs and the amps were running (I have the EP2500s mounted behind the wall of the main system in the stairway leading down to the basement). When I initially plugged in the EP4000 to test out the new fan it was near silent....I immediately assumed I screwed up installing the new fan as the amp was dead quiet and I figured the new fan was probably incorrectly installed. The difference is enormous to say the least.

Jungle Jack 12-07-09 07:52 PM

Hello,
No doubt that the EP4000 is one of the great values in audio today. And it is truly great that there is a mod out there for what is the usual Achilles Heel of using a Pro Amplifier in HT, fan noise.

Very nice writeup and explanation of the procedure.
Cheers,
JJ

Binary 11-22-10 10:43 AM

Re: Behringer EP4000 - Pics - Fan Mod - ETC

I've been meaning to do this to my QSC RMX 2450, but i was thinking about adding a potentiometer so that i can adjust the fan speed for when i am really giving the thing hell. While i know the QSC is a beefier version of this amplifier, i'm not sure that everything is the same, and i think i could use a hand finding the right parts to do this properly, Im going to look into that digikey P9739-ND, are there any other suggested fans?

cavchameleon 12-15-10 08:06 AM

Very quiet fans are available from this site:
http://www.svc.com/silent-fans.html

I've been using many fans from this site for different purposes. For the EP4000 (just received mine),I put in the one from SilentX (80mm to fit the amp), they have different ones to choose from dependent on the CFM you require. If you notice, the 24CFM model only produces 11db - you have to put your ear right up to the fan to hear it hum. Pretty incredible. I've used a lot of the 120mm models and they are so quiet (for computer use and to cool down parts of my equipment rack). Some of their fans only produce 6db - background noise for most houses are above 30db, so that is virtually non-existent IMO.

cavchameleon 12-17-10 10:59 AM

Well, I should have checked the thread on the EP2000 fan install first. After having installed mine, I realized that it was a 12v and not the 24v required. :duh:Can put a resister in line easily, but then the CFM drops too much. So, had to order a 24v version. Found one from DigiKey (did not use the same one listed in the other thread, wanted a quieter one) that only produced 12db at 19CFM (slightly lower than the 24CFM of the recommended one) which should work fine. It's also 0.5mm less think, not an issue for it's use.

jtwrace 12-26-10 07:52 AM

Do you guys think one can get away with disconnecting the fan? I'm thinking about using one of these for two bandpass subs.

cavchameleon 12-27-10 12:56 AM

Quote:

jtwrace wrote: (Post 331930)
Do you guys think one can get away with disconnecting the fan? I'm thinking about using one of these for two bandpass subs.

IMO, I don't think that it's a good idea. The design of the transistor heat sink tunnel was made for active air flow for cooling. If it were designed for use without a fan, there would be a lot more 'fins' for heat release. If noise is an issue, doing the fan mod is recommended (you really cannot hear it with a quiet fan).

jtwrace 12-27-10 06:59 AM

Quote:

cavchameleon wrote: (Post 332143)
IMO, I don't think that it's a good idea. The design of the transistor heat sink tunnel was made for active air flow for cooling. If it were designed for use without a fan, there would be a lot more 'fins' for heat release. If noise is an issue, doing the fan mod is recommended (you really cannot hear it with a quiet fan).

Thanks! Is the digikey fan the way to go then or is there a even quieter one?:T