Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Amps | High Pass Filters (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/)
-   -   Crown K2 frequency response vs other amps (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/50198-crown-k2-frequency-response-vs-other-amps.html)

probillygun 09-23-11 03:35 AM

Crown K2 frequency response vs other amps

I'm being told that the K2s I own will not play much lower than 20HZ? Can they be modified to play lower frequencies?

what other amps play lower than the K2s and why is that? I dont see any OEMs specs showing their products go below 20HZ.

SAC 09-23-11 05:15 AM

Re: Crown K2 frequency response vs other amps

Crown specs are guaranteed MINIMUMS.

Unlike other companies who inflate their specs and claim lots of things that may or may not be achievable, Crown takes the opposite approach and states specs that the units are guaranteed to exceed - even after 3 years of constant and continuous professional (commercial) use at full power.

And they state the frequency response for the K2 as :

±0.25 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.Frequency Response: ±0.25 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
The frequency response is band limited with an 8 Hz double-integrated 3rd-order Butterworth high-pass filter and a 30 kHz 7th-order Gaussian low-pass filter.

I am curious as to who the source of the claims are that you cite, and upon what they base their opinion.

I am aware of MANY installations where K1s and K2s are used to drive subwoofers, including units that extend well below 20 Hz, including Danley subs that feature real extension below 20 Hz with absolutely no problems.

Just be aware, there may be slightly greater variance than the MAXIMUM .25 dB allowed over the remainder of the stated passband. Realizing, of course, that you are constrained to listening to material above 8 Hz, which I can easily see could be quite a limitation. :D

If continuous performance below 8 Hz or above 30 kHz is required, you might want to examine another amp. And if you can find another that exceeds the performance capabilities of the K series, short of the Macrotechs or iSeries, (especially if it is passively cooled!) please let us know.

probillygun 09-23-11 08:04 AM

Actualy it was a couple of users here on another thread I have going that suggested using Behringer amps instead because they said they play lower in frequency, and my K2s are bandwidth limited for driving true sub harmonic frequencies.

I have seen really poor quality from Behringer amps with poor support from Behringer as well with getting spare parts. I'd hate to get rid of my excellent quality Crowns for Behringer amps that are junk.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Bill

SAC 09-23-11 08:58 AM

Behringer versus a Crown K series amp???

:D

Thank you! You literally made my morning!

...and if you decide to dump those 'lousy' K2s, Please PM me!

Chester 09-24-11 11:58 AM

[IMG]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8177/k2ampsweep.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I made this ~a year ago, it is a calibrated sweep of a crown k2 amplifier; If memory serves me correctly, there is a high pass filter at 8hz and a lowpass at 32khz (it is in the k2 documentation on their website)...
it is ~1.7 db down at 8 hz, so it will definitely work well at 10 :)

it is 10 db down at 4.88 hz :)

Edit/addition:
lab gruppens go to 1.5 hz (their filter is at 1.5 hz)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17429557

Moonfly 09-24-11 01:04 PM

Quote:

probillygun wrote: (Post 462317)
I'm being told that the K2s I own will not play much lower than 20HZ? Can they be modified to play lower frequencies?

what other amps play lower than the K2s and why is that? I dont see any OEMs specs showing their products go below 20HZ.

Just to be clear, I only stipulated you double check :T I know someone who ran a crown amp that wouldnt play below 20hz well, but I dont know if it was a K2 or not. Looking at the responses, I'm gonna guess not lol.

probillygun 09-24-11 03:46 PM

Guys,

This is all GREAT news to me. I'm really into keeping my 2 Ks as I know they are amazing amps. I've even run them on my mains as 2 channel amps and they even sound good in that application, and yes, ZERO fan noise cause no fans! :bigsmile:

Moonfly 09-24-11 04:00 PM

I am just as pleased for you :T

penngray 09-26-11 09:57 AM

Quote:

probillygun wrote: (Post 462342)
Actualy it was a couple of users here on another thread I have going that suggested using Behringer amps instead because they said they play lower in frequency, and my K2s are bandwidth limited for driving true sub harmonic frequencies.

I have seen really poor quality from Behringer amps with poor support from Behringer as well with getting spare parts. I'd hate to get rid of my excellent quality Crowns for Behringer amps that are junk.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Bill

K2s are fine amps but if someone needs 2000Watts of power then the Behringers are just as good. There isnt a measurement or a controlled tested that proves there is any difference when driving incredible subs to insane levels.

I have had them all too, crest, crown, behringer, QSC. Right now, I have twin LMS5400s and I have no concerns about using EP2500s if I only needed 2000Watts. I want 4000Watts each though!!

Again, K2s are great and not having a fan is awesome but all fans are easily modded and in our environments there isnt going to be any heat issues.

probillygun 09-27-11 06:19 PM

I agree that Behringer power is good, thats if it works! There is no comparrison to Crown's quality or customer support. I currently have 3 Crown K2s that are over 6 years old and never had a problem. My buddy has a 3 year old Behringer Europower 1500 and the power switch broke while being used in an easy home enviroment application....and we've been trying for 2 weeks to get another switch for it through their authorized repair centers and no luck at all, they all tell us Behringer is a terrible company to deal with and have many many issues. Good luck with your Behringer stuff.