Ilkka goes Genelec - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 09-13-08, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Ilkka goes Genelec

Dear fellow audio enthusiasts,

Let's start with sad news. Even though the time line of the events would sound somewhat "convenient", the following announcement doesn't have anything to do with these sad news. Though I have to say that the short time I had the privilege to work with Mr. Ari Varla, was extremely instructive and interesting. May his soul rest in peace.

Now to the happier news. I would like to announce that I have started a permanent employment relationship with Genelec. I will be working at their factory/head office at the heart of Northern Savonia, Iisalmi, Finland. My title is an R&D engineer in acoustics. So my job description will include the research and development of acoustics and also quite a lot of other areas. Even though I will be involved with the development and design of almost all the future Genelec products, the subwoofers, the salt of life (or were they women?), will still be closest to my heart and at top of the priority list of future projects.

So what happens to the subwoofer tests? Well, I think it goes without saying that the subwoofer tests in their current form on the sandfield at Lappeenranta will end. Therefore I would like to thank all the people helping with the tests, and the people who brought their subwoofers to the measuring sessions. You were in part of doing something pretty special even in the scale of the whole world, and things wouldn't have happened without your help, so big thank you to all of you!

So does this mean that the subwoofer tests are completely over? Definitely not. There's electricity too in Iisalmi and there is a perfect spot for measurements at the backyard of the factory, right near a beautiful lake. Naturally the concept has to be thought over for obvious reasons, but generally there are no reasons why subwoofers tests couldn't continue. During the past summer I have already measured quite a lot of, and will be measuring more subwoofers and speakers for only internal use, but a part of the results will be still published here at Home Theater Shack forum. For example the DIY subwoofers could be the area which measurement results could be still published fully. Of course the measurements performed outside the working hours will still be published fully, so people will still have the opportunity to bring their subwoofers to the measurement session and receive reliable and comparable data on their subwoofers for a small cost.

If something bad, there's lot's of good. Working at Genelec gives me the access to a top notch research laboratory equipped with the very finest measuring instruments in the industry (Klippel Analyzer, Audio Precision, MLSSA etc.). From these especially the Klippel Analyzer gives extremely interesting additional data to the regular subwoofer measurement data. Also a private anechoic chamber and several well acoustically designed test and listening rooms are 24/7 reserved for research and development purposes.

I will still be actively participating to the discussions here at Home Theater Shack forum, of course within the limitations of the daily job and the schedule it allows. Even though naturally a certain neutrality is being lost with the new job relationship, don't doubt for a second that one wouldn't still get an honest opinion from me to a question or another. That hasn't change, and won't change forever. Of course I will be more than happy to reply to the questions relating to Genelec, people can still shoot me questions (either public or via PM) relating to anything.

I will be still continue working with Hifimaailma magazine. Naturally I will disqualify myself from all the articles handling speakers and subwoofers, and other articles being against good journalist ethics. All other reviews, tests and so called expert articles are still permitted, which you will be seeing plenty of from me in the future.

With regards to upcoming Genelec products I can't naturally say much. I can say that there are plenty of products at different stages of the R&D process at this very moment, which of course some will be discarded but the best ones will be developed all the way and finally moved to the production. The latest product having made its way to the production is the "little Genelec": the 6010, and the suitable subwoofer for it: the 5040.

At this point I can only say that stay tuned!

-Ilkka Rissanen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-13-08, 01:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Ilkka goes Genelec

Congratulations on your new position, Ilkka! With you being involved in the R&D department, I can't wait to see what develops!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 28 Old 09-13-08, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Congratulations Ilkka...

post #4 of 28 Old 09-13-08, 04:00 PM
Senior Shackster
sollars

Congrats.....Genelec landed on a goldmine. Good Luck with the new position!
post #5 of 28 Old 09-13-08, 04:47 PM
Shackster

Christos

Congratulations Illka and I wish you all the best!I am sure you will still be helpful and maybe even more now in this forum.

Genelec is a company that I respect very much and I am sure that you were THE man for the job!
post #6 of 28 Old 09-14-08, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Thank you all for those very kind words! Please consider this a beginning of a very interesting new venture rather than goodbyes. I'm positive that you will see lots of "Ilkka" in the future too, whether it be in the form of subwoofer tests or new products from Genelec.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-14-08, 01:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser
Wink Re: Ilkka goes Genelec

Quote:
Now to the happier news. I would like to announce that I have started a permanent employment relationship with Genelec. I will be working at their factory/head office at the heart of Northern Savonia, Iisalmi, Finland. My title is an R&D engineer in acoustics. So my job description will include the research and development of acoustics and also quite a lot of other areas. Even though I will be involved with the development and design of almost all the future Genelec products, the subwoofers, the salt of life (or were they women?), will still be closest to my heart and at top of the priority list of future projects.
CONGRATULATIONS! Now we have a friend at Genelec!!!!
Quote:
If something bad, there's lot's of good. Working at Genelec gives me the access to a top notch research laboratory equipped with the very finest measuring instruments in the industry (Klippel Analyzer, Audio Precision, MLSSA, B&K, ACO Pacific etc.). From these especially the Klippel Analyzer gives extremely interesting additional data to the regular subwoofer measurement data. Also a private anechoic chamber and several well acoustically designed test and listening rooms are 24/7 reserved for research and development purposes.
I am sure we will directly or indirectly benefit from that
Quote:
I will still be actively participating to the discussions here at Home Theater Shack forum, of course within the limitations of the daily job and the schedule it allows. Even though naturally a certain neutrality is being lost with the new job relationship, don't doubt for a second that one wouldn't still get an honest opinion from me to a question or another. That hasn't change, and won't change forever. Of course I will be more than happy to reply to the questions relating to Genelec, people can still shoot me questions (either public or via PM) relating to anything.
That's sure. Business positions change is quite easy, but personality and values like honesty are extremely hard to change if ever possible. Now guess what when it is about a Finnish stubborn fellow ........

Quote:
With regards to upcoming Genelec products I can't naturally say much. I can say that there are plenty of products at different stages of the R&D process at this very moment, which of course some will be discarded but the best ones will be developed all the way and finally moved to the production. The latest product having made its way to the production is the "little Genelec": the 6010, and the suitable subwoofer for it: the 5040.
Can't wait!! Nevertheless, it would be great if we could still have some measurements related to other manufacturer's for our benefit. Now that's pretty tough to arrange, but there should be some way...

Lookking forward to posting in the Genelec forum (maybe?)!!

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

post #8 of 28 Old 09-14-08, 02:07 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Congratulations on your position at Genelec! It could not have happened to a more capable person. I expected something like this would come to pass sooner or later. Have you finished university studies?
post #9 of 28 Old 09-14-08, 04:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Tim

Hi Ilkka,

I'm very happy for you. Your mindset will go along way with a firm like Genelec. I wish you all the best!

p.s., don't be a stranger around here.

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-15-08, 07:42 AM
Shackster
TLC

Best wishes to you. You will now be surrounded by the speakers of my dreams 24/7. Its not work if its something you love!