Which subwoofers would you like to see being tested? - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 269 Old 12-12-07, 05:27 PM

Re: Which subwoofers would you like to see being tested?

****...I wish we could have it tested...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 269 Old 12-12-07, 05:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Russell

Quote:
alexadams77 wrote: View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned in previous posts or not, but I would like to see the actual db difference with running one sub (PB13/other) compared to running duals (2 x PB13/other). I've heard a lot of people mention that you'd only see roughly 6 db difference, but I'd like to see someone actually test this theory out. Or a link to the results if it's already been done.
I don't know if you'll find this much use, but I tried exactly this here. It obviously doesn't have Ilkka's sophistication of measurement

I found that orientation of co-location in the vertical plane actually had more of an effect on the smoothness of response than any other arrangement, but that is with respect to the somewhat smaller (on average) European room.

As regards the SPL gains, 6dB co-located and 3dB for just having a pair in the room was as expected. What wasn't expected was that the gain decreased with increasing frequency until it was negligable at 80Hz+.

Russell

Mitsubishi HC6000 : Carada 88" Precision Series screen : Sony PS3 : Audiolab 8000CD : Audiolab 8000AP : Cinepro 2k6 : XTZ 99.25 fronts & center : M&K Xenon 25 and LCR 25 surrounds : BFD : EP4000: Dual AV15-X 4cu ft sealed subs

Last edited by russ.will; 12-12-07 at 06:03 PM.
post #143 of 269 Old 12-12-07, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
mike c wrote: View Post
AFAIK, the 16-46 is not available in 220v which is why ilkka or avtalk hasn't been able to test them.

I don't know if SVS has finally been able to get a 220v 16-46 ready now with their new CE certification
Actually the 16-46PC+ was available in 230V back when SVS was directly selling subwoofers to us Europeans. And I know that there are at least three of those in here Finland.

SVS isn't going to import it to Europe anymore though. Only three cylinder models will be available here: 25-31PCi, 20-39PC+ and PC13-Ultra.

I'm not sure if I will be able to test the 16-46PC+, but I could make some educated guesses about its performance since I have measured the 25-31PC+ and the 20-39PC+.

post #144 of 269 Old 12-13-07, 03:56 PM

I own one and I'd like to see some tests to see how it stacks up to the new PC-13 and PB-13 in 15hz mode.

Which would be better....native 16-46+ with 3 ports firing or a PB or PC-13 with 2 ports firing in 15hzmode...

Wouldn't more port area play an important role?
post #145 of 269 Old 12-15-07, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
bgilly wrote: View Post
I own one and I'd like to see some tests to see how it stacks up to the new PC-13 and PB-13 in 15hz mode.

Which would be better....native 16-46+ with 3 ports firing or a PB or PC-13 with 2 ports firing in 15hzmode...

Wouldn't more port area play an important role?
The PB/PC13-Ultra without a doubt would be quite a lot stronger (also lower distortion) at every frequency. The new woofer is so much better and stronger than the Plus woofer that even the lesser port area wouldn't affect that much. Of course a native 15-16 Hz tuned Ultra would be even stronger down there but that would require even larger enclosure with those 3.5" ports.

Also don't forget that the new Ultra is much stronger at higher frequencies (at and above 20 Hz) than any of the older Plus cylinders. While it's nice to have good output down to the teens but actually it's the higher frequencies that make you say wow! When you tune a subwoofer lower, you will inevitably sacrifice the output at higher frequencies compared to a higher tuned subwoofer.
post #146 of 269 Old 12-16-07, 01:12 AM

well here is where I am at with my subwoofer situation now.

Last Feb I got the 16-46+ with plans for a 2nd because I'm a bass head. The actually Specs and performance on the Ultra were unknown at that time even by the great guys at SVS...

I like the sub, but just wish I had more BASS in the 20-40hz region than I do. I knew when I bought it that I was going to be missing out on some bass, but I know a 2nd one would solve that headroom issue.

Then I think why spend 950 on a 2nd one when I could spend 1300 on the Ultra-PC and just tune it to 15hz. People have been raving about the 10 and 15hz modes of the Ultra and how great it sounds when tuned to these settings. I just cannot belive the number of amazed people...

So....In your opinion....Should I:

A. Buy a 2nd 16-46+ to pair with my current one and never look back. Would this give me 115-120db cleanly from 15hz to 80hz... (right now I'm pretty clean in that range averaging about 107-109db..)

B. Buy a PC-13 and pair it with my current sub and have the best of both worlds....I would have the 16-46+ which I could leave in native or tune it down to 12hz....which could be the sub I use to dig really deep, while the Ultra could be in 20 or 15hz mode and I could use it to really kill the rest of the freq range...maximizing its amazing freq and spl ability. I could colocate or use different placement and it wouldn't even look funny since they are both PCs and they are identical in height and width.

Thanks ahead of time for your input....I know you don't know me that well, but I really value your input and have read a ton of your information here, on HTspot, and AVS...

oh the choices we have in this fun land of HT!!!
post #147 of 269 Old 12-16-07, 10:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

I'm not Ilkka, but two 16-46+s definitely won't get you clean 115-120db capability from 15-80hz, not even close

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #148 of 269 Old 12-16-07, 02:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Audiophile Liquidator has the NHT W2 (comes with two 14" cubes each housing their own 12" driver) on clearence for $250, I wonder how those perform.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #149 of 269 Old 12-16-07, 07:44 PM

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I'm not Ilkka, but two 16-46+s definitely won't get you clean 115-120db capability from 15-80hz, not even close

Wouldn't the room size dictate that more than anything?

I'm talking about a 2000cubic foot room...
post #150 of 269 Old 12-16-07, 10:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Not so much room size as distance you sit from the sub.