LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 312 Old 09-08-07, 07:12 PM
Iggster1986
Inactive

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

I cant wait for the test's I am planning on buying a pair of the new ultras once the dealers have them in stock depending on test results here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 312 Old 09-08-07, 07:29 PM
Shackster
anidabi

Quote:
Iggster1986 wrote: View Post
Hmmm... okay, so audio pulse has now almost the whole TC-Sounds lineup. I wonder how expensive the drivers will be?
post #113 of 312 Old 09-08-07, 08:48 PM
Iggster1986
Inactive

Quote:
anidabi wrote: View Post
Hmmm... okay, so audio pulse has now almost the whole TC-Sounds lineup. I wonder how expensive the drivers will be?
Depending how good you know your dealer or how good they are with prices, I would say barely more to double the price depending on those things.

post #114 of 312 Old 09-16-07, 11:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Ilkka, I believe you took a close mic, in-room THD measurement of the TC2k in free air a while back and the room didn't affect it too much. Any chance you could do the same with this driver to get an idea of what it can offer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #115 of 312 Old 09-17-07, 05:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Ilkka, I believe you took a close mic, in-room THD measurement of the TC2k in free air a while back and the room didn't affect it too much. Any chance you could do the same with this driver to get an idea of what it can offer?
Yes, I will take these in a few days. I will also add the SDX15 in the mix.
post #116 of 312 Old 09-18-07, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Distortion/frequency response comparison

OK, here we go.

I have took some near field (around 8" distance), in-room measurements in "free air" (naturally there are some room reflections but there was no enclosure) for a few drivers I have currently in my possession. I used the same 30 second linear sine sweep as I use in my GP subwoofer tests. I tried to to match the SPL around 50-60 Hz. I started at 90 dB and went up using 5 dB steps. So THD graphs are showing curves at 90 dB, 95 dB, 100 dB, and 105 dB levels (remember 8" distance). No auto-levelling etc. was used, so the SPL is only absolute around 50-60 Hz. Everywhere else frequency response dictates the absolute SPL. Also these results are no way comparable to any GP measurement.

Don't take these measurements as the absolute truth because such in-room tests have always much greater error margin and they aren't as accurate as GP measurements.

The drivers tested were:
CSS SDX15
TC Sounds LMS-5400 18"
TC Sounds TC-2000 15" (alu cone, half-roll surround)
TC Sounds TC-2000 15" (ti cone, tall profile surround)

Let's start with the frequency responses. This graph doesn't show which driver is the most efficient because SPL's were matched. Though I can say that they all are pretty much identical when it comes to average efficiency/sensitivity. No more than ~1 dB differences.

The tall profile surround/ti cone TC2k seems to roll-off slightly faster than the regular half-roll surround/alu cone. Both of them have the greatest upper-end roll-off. The SDX15's upper-end is flatter and the frequency response extends lower but the final roll-off is steeper. The LMS-5400 has the most shallow roll-off and also the greatest upper-end output. The graph shows the frequency responses only up to 100 Hz but also above the trend is the same.

And now some distortion results. Let's start with the SDX15. It has the famous XBL^2 motor which should keep the distortion low. Indeed distortion stays quite low during "90 dB" and "95 dB" sweeps but grows pretty quickly at higher levels, especially below 20 Hz. The reason for this might be the single 8.5" spider (TC Sounds drivers have dual 10" spiders) which causes suspension-related distortion at low frequencies. The amount of distortion stays quite linear above ~20 Hz.

Then we have the TC-2000 (alu cone/half-roll surround). Distortion stays slightly lower than with the SDX15 everywhere else than in 20-60 Hz range where it forms a slight hump.

The TC-2000 with the titanium cone and tall profile surround shows pretty similar results. The hump in 20-60 Hz range is around 1% lower but nothing drastic. Could be just a slight difference in T/S data.

And then the big boy, the LMS-5400 18". I don't think much has to be said, other than the low frequency distortion during two lowest sweeps was so low that the background noise started to affect too much, so I didn't plot them. A great performance especially when noticing that it had the most output during those sweeps above ~55 Hz. In laboratory conditions (lower background noise) it could probably stay below 1% THD at all frequencies even during the "105 dB" sweep. A friendly suggestion to all LMS-5400 owners: Don't sell them.

post #117 of 312 Old 09-18-07, 03:39 PM
Iggster1986
Inactive

just wow on the lms....
post #118 of 312 Old 09-18-07, 04:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Geoff

Wow, the LMS is ridiculous.
post #119 of 312 Old 09-18-07, 05:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Some further distortion analysis.

Here are the THD spectrum's of the SDX15, TC-2000 and LMS-5400 at 60 Hz. I have marked the first five (H2 - H6) harmonics. Other spikes are just 50 Hz hum or other background noise.

Here's a comparison between the SDX15 and LMS-5400. You can see that the LMS-5400 doesn't have much even-order harmonics. H3 (=180 Hz) is the dominant one.

Here's a comparison between the SDX15 and TC-2000. They are much closer to each other than the LMS-5400 is to either one of them.

post #120 of 312 Old 09-18-07, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I have my LMS mounted in a 6.8 cubic foot sealed box driven by a Crown XTi 4000. The amazing test results you're getting via the open air near field tests ARE easily discernable when the speaker is placed in an enclosure and driven by a suitable amp.
The response is amazingly flat or at least my listening room and the Crown amp DSP allow me to adjust it so it is . . . . at least to MY ear. The distortion is unoticeable even when the signal strength is very high and the sounds are very low. I played a 10-19 Hz sweep from the Sheffield "My Disc" 2000, track 59. It was absolutely jaw dropping to watch the titanium cone move close to it's full 38 mm Xmin and still produce controlled sonic havoc within my listening environment. I wasn't sure at first, when I cranked up the volume, whether I should stand so close to something that was that loud and violent. It shook my concrete floor and had my pants flapping like the Finnish Flag! It's truly an amazing piece of equipment.
I've been listening to (and watching) the "Discovery Channel" and have the the amp EQed through the DSP of the Crown amp. There is much subsonic music AND sounds in the background of most programing on the Discovery Channel. The program I watched first and noticed the subsonic revelations was " The Dirtiest Jobs " with Mike Rowe. It's a "must hear" and humorous too.
This LMS monster, IS a sonic marvel! Wait till you get yours in a box Ilkka. Like you suggested to those of us who own them, "Don't sell them"!

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 09-18-07 at 06:18 PM.