LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 22 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #211 of 312 Old 10-02-07, 05:08 PM
DevilDriver
Inactive

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

I apologize for showing up late to the party, but I simply must state what should have been obvious and yet has remained sitting in the corner, for the most part, by itself:

It is not the technology that matters, but the implementation of it.

I have been a large proponent of understanding these linear BL approaches and have dedicated some time to debunking a few interesting "interpretations" (for example: XBL^2 is more efficient? yeah, maybe in flux utilization because it actually sacrifices some flux right in the middle of the stroke!), but the one thing I have really, really learned is that the greatest approach doesn't mean a thing if the result doesn't support it. I would say the many XBL^2 drivers I have owned have been very pleasant but I can also recognize short comings. The number one lesson in engineering that I have learned is that the only way to achieve the perfect anything is to ignore the laws of physics and the widely variable human rationale.

To Ilkka: Thank you kindly for the measurements you've provided and the interesting debate you have stirred up. There are some interesting linear BL drivers that should be out before or around the New Year that I hope make their way out to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 312 Old 10-02-07, 10:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
DevilDriver wrote:
The number one lesson in engineering that I have learned is that the only way to achieve the perfect anything is to ignore the laws of physics
Wait, what?
Attachments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #213 of 312 Old 10-03-07, 07:48 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I often wondered why Albert's hair always looked like it had been near a nuclear explosion.
It wasn't an explosion that fried his hair it was an LMS at full throttle=<10Hz X (RMS)! LOL

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 10-03-07 at 07:50 AM. Reason: change formulae

post #214 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 05:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

teaser

post #215 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

LOL, you big tease Ilkka! Is that "Baltic Birch"? Nice work, even the cutouts are very good for a sabre saw/jigsaw.
post #216 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
LOL, you big tease Ilkka!
No kidding! Now we have to wait!

post #217 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 07:08 PM
Shackster

Darrell

Ilkka,

Why do you have two sets of cables coming out? Are you going to test DVCs in both series and parallel, or are you just trying to reduce resistance for parallel only?

Thanks,
Darrell
post #218 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 09:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Re: teaser

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Man I can't wait to see the results.
I don't see T-nuts. Did you opt out of them or is this just a temp mount for the PRs? Those PRs look different from mine
post #219 of 312 Old 10-04-07, 09:28 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

Quote:
Why do you have two sets of cables coming out? Are you going to test DVCs in both series and parallel, or are you just trying to reduce resistance for parallel only?
IIRC, Ilkka wants it set up to where he can (if he needs to or chooses to) put an amp on each voice coil. You know, to make sure the 5400 gets all the power it needs.
post #220 of 312 Old 10-05-07, 01:38 AM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
LOL, you big tease Ilkka! Is that "Baltic Birch"? Nice work, even the cutouts are very good for a sabre saw/jigsaw.
Yes, that is 15 ply BB. The cutouts are pretty good considering how little time I had. I mean two large enclosures in a less than a week...

And please notice that these enclosures are sort of temp ones. I built them for the measurements, not for myself. They are definitely heavy and sturdy but I didn't have time to sand/primer/paint them. So please judge the performance, not the looks.