LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 25 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #241 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 06:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

Even if we assume the Crown amp has infinite power capabilities, I still look back to the TC2k tested outdoors at 2m with 2000 watts on a 115db sweep down to 10hz with no highpass and no bottoming or other mechanical driver issues. I'd hope an 18" with higher rated excursion capabilities from the same company could at least do that at 6db louder at all frequencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 06:13 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

I definitely understand where you are coming from. But that scenario and Jai's situation really can't be compared directly.

But there is no need for speculation when Ilkka himself will be fully testing the 5400 in a very similar alignment using a practically identical power setup. His observations and findings will be be more conclusive, wouldn't you say?
post #243 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 06:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Absolutely.

But I still say he shouldn't have to tune at 16hz with a 16hz highpass - wasted potential.

post #244 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 10:47 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

Quote:
But I still say he shouldn't have to tune at 16hz with a 16hz highpass - wasted potential.
And I never disagreed with you there. I too think he should be able to use maybe a 13Hz 2nd order BW, at least judging from the simulations.
post #245 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 11:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post
Lets be real though, you're talking about purposefully playing them +6dB hot and cranking them up. That isn't a real world scenario.

Well there were some other things going with Jai's setup early on. We'll know the full story with Ilkka's setup...but you are probably underestimating these CE4000s, to be honest. They really are beasts. And you got it mixed up, one shouldn't question the claimed xmax spec. Remember Steve, its the xmech that determines the mechanical limit. And that would be the only problem with the 5400, it doesn't have as much throw past xmax as a lot of other drivers have.
Agreed, it is not everyday real world usage, but you will agree that some of us do crank it up at times, don't we. It doesn't take much power to bottom out this design below tuning. In terms of listening experience setting the HP at 20Hz vs setting at 16Hz, did not make any noticeable difference for the several movies I tried. Except for the fact that, with the 20Hz setting of the 2nd order BW, I could safely push beyond reference (on any material to date) without reaching the subs limitations. Now transformers is coming out shortly. Could be a WOTW killer. With more and more demanding LFE tracks, it is better to be conservative.
post #246 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 11:34 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post
And I never disagreed with you there. I too think he should be able to use maybe a 13Hz 2nd order BW, at least judging from the simulations.
All that I am saying is, start with 20Hz and then go lower. Proceed with caution. I have seen it happen and it is not pretty. 13Hz 2nd order BW? no I don't think so. Not with this design and tuning. His tests will tell.
post #247 of 312 Old 10-06-07, 11:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Even if we assume the Crown amp has infinite power capabilities, I still look back to the TC2k tested outdoors at 2m with 2000 watts on a 115db sweep down to 10hz with no highpass and no bottoming or other mechanical driver issues. I'd hope an 18" with higher rated excursion capabilities from the same company could at least do that at 6db louder at all frequencies.
Something to keep in mind. A sweep is different from real world movies. Set the 2nd order HP filter to 13Hz, calibrate to 80dB reference at LP in a large room (6000 cu ft plus) and with a similar design as mine (which this sub is), this will bottom out. It did in my room. And I have tried different drivers. Now what I observed may not show up in sweeps. Maybe the input level was higher than 115dB, who knows, I didn't measure what the input level is.
post #248 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 01:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

If you are absolutely certain, and other owners are as well, then there is something amiss with this driver. There are quite a few of us LLT owners out there, and we use larger enclosures with low tunes, no highpass filters, and drivers that are supposed to have less excursion capabilities than the LMS 18, and there hasn't been bottoming yet, not with real material. Now I really want to see this design tested.

Also, I agree that the difference between reproduction of material at 20hz and 16hz will be extremely hard to notice, however, being flat and solid to 10hz as compared to 20hz is a different story.

post #249 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 07:16 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
then there is something amiss with this driver.
however, being flat and solid to 10hz as compared to 20hz
There's nothing amiss with this driver. Bottoming a speaker is NOT hard to do and doesn't necessarily take lots of power.
Perhaps what this driver can do that others can't is reproduce 10hz to 20hz flat, solid, AND LINEAR with less distortion. The long stroke and unique motor design allow the LMS to operate loud, low, and linear.
The maximum spl of the LMS driver at a given FR depends on the particular application. The long stroke and unique motor design allow the LMS cone to easily move to it's XMAX because of the length and strength of the magnetic field produced by the huge magnet structure. I haven't seen another driver with a magnet structure as large as the LMS.
Ilkka's upcoming full series of tests will answer most of our questions about the LMS and it's behaviour in-box. No more need to speculate or extrapolate from software modeling programs.
Hang on Steve.
post #250 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 10:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
If you are absolutely certain, and other owners are as well, then there is something amiss with this driver. There are quite a few of us LLT owners out there, and we use larger enclosures with low tunes, no highpass filters, and drivers that are supposed to have less excursion capabilities than the LMS 18, and there hasn't been bottoming yet, not with real material. Now I really want to see this design tested.

Also, I agree that the difference between reproduction of material at 20hz and 16hz will be extremely hard to notice, however, being flat and solid to 10hz as compared to 20hz is a different story.
I don't think there is anything wrong with this driver either. Some WinISD models give some indication why a filter like I describe is needed. It performs according to spec and it performs awesome.