LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 26 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #251 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 02:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

Quote:
Bottoming a speaker is NOT hard to do and doesn't necessarily take lots of power
Ermm, again, TC2k, 2000 watts, 115db sweep down to 10hz outdoors 2m groundplane, no highpass filter, and no bottoming. That's just one design too.

Quote:
No more need to speculate or extrapolate from software modeling programs.
I'm doing no such thing. You guys are telling me that you are bottoming your LMS 18" drivers if tuning below 20hz without an extremely aggressive highpass filter.

Ilkka, last I recall, you said you won't be testing this until next Spring - does that still hold true?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 02:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Ermm, again, TC2k, 2000 watts, 115db sweep down to 10hz outdoors 2m groundplane, no highpass filter, and no bottoming. That's just one design too.
It was a 110 dB sweep.

Quote:
Ilkka, last I recall, you said you won't be testing this until next Spring - does that still hold true?
Definitely not.
post #253 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Excellent. How's the weather by you lately? It's early October and everyday is still 80-90 degrees here....kinda weird.

post #254 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 03:42 PM
Shackster
anidabi

Quote:
Wrong. At 115dB sweep 2kW wasn't enought because the amp clipped. Don't you remember, the 115dB sweep was incomplete.
post #255 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 03:47 PM
Shackster
anidabi

Quote:
Excellent. How's the weather by you lately? It's early October and everyday is still 80-90 degrees here....kinda weird.
http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/no....php?icao=EFLP
post #256 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 05:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
It was a 110 dB sweep
Quote:
Don't you remember, the 115dB sweep was incomplete.
Yes yes, my mistake. 39 degrees, ouch.

post #257 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 08:37 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

My concern for Ilkka and the LMS is that he holds a now rare specimen and that he waited months for shipment across the ocean for this opportunity. He also is handling a driver who many of us helped pay for. We all want success whether or not the driver meets our expectations.
It would be a sad sad experience if something unnatural or unexpected happened to the driver while Ilkka was in the process of assembling or testing and since some of us have experienced what we think was "bottoming" during our own trials, we want Ilkka to be watchful as his tests proceed. That's all.
post #258 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 08:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

You don't have to worry any more. The testing is already done and both drivers are still live and kicking. And they did DELIVER.
post #259 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 08:55 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Congratulations Illka! And thank you for your persistence and audiologic spirit of adventure! Not to mention having lived through endless comments from some of us who are worse naggers than a 65 year old woman on diet coke.
post #260 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 09:08 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
You don't have to worry any more. The testing is already done and both drivers are still live and kicking. And they did DELIVER.
Ilkka,
This is awesome news!
While we wait for these much awaited results, I had some thoughts that I am sure you would have contemplated too. How about some measurement results with real world movies? Pick the most intense most demanding tracks (there are several) so to be realistic we should narrow down to 3 movie tracks on which you can do some indepth outdoor measurements. Again this is simply a request. No expectations. What you already do for us Ilkka, is plenty. But I want to tickle your interest in this kind of test.
So here goes (only an example),.......
First, Calibrate your pre-amp receiver to 80dB reference at listening position with Avia in your own theater room. Next, let's say, we pick the "pod emergers/ground implodes scene in WOTW". Now you measure the input level to the amplifier to your sub/s at the most intense timestamps at reference level. This gives you a "reference point" for what one can expect in real world (any room similar to Ilkka's theater room). Now take the same setup outdoors and repeat the tests so that this time, you start from -6dB from "reference point", measure input level (should be -6dB from reference point as a double check) and measure Max output and other interesting parameters (the usual ones). Now you start increasing the input level to reference and as far beyond reference as you can safely go (maybe +6dB).
This will give us another dimension into a subwoofers performance that sweeps/mls tones cannot give.
The example test that I indicate here is pretty crude and not formalized, but it conveys the idea.
What do you think Ilkka? Is this something that you would be interested to do? Folks, what do you think?
Any suggestions? If there is enough interest.
My vote for the top 3 movies are,
1. WOTW (ground implodes/tripod emerges)
2. Flight of the Phoenix (plane crash)
3. Darla (tapping the fish tank).

-Jai