LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 27 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #261 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 10:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

Quote:
jmcomp124 wrote: View Post
Ilkka,
This is awesome news!
While we wait for these much awaited results, I had some thoughts that I am sure you would have contemplated too. How about some measurement results with real world movies? Pick the most intense most demanding tracks (there are several) so to be realistic we should narrow down to 3 movie tracks on which you can do some indepth outdoor measurements. Again this is simply a request. No expectations. What you already do for us Ilkka, is plenty. But I want to tickle your interest in this kind of test.
So here goes (only an example),.......
First, Calibrate your pre-amp receiver to 80dB reference at listening position with Avia in your own theater room. Next, let's say, we pick the "pod emergers/ground implodes scene in WOTW". Now you measure the input level to the amplifier to your sub/s at the most intense timestamps at reference level. This gives you a "reference point" for what one can expect in real world (any room similar to Ilkka's theater room). Now take the same setup outdoors and repeat the tests so that this time, you start from -6dB from "reference point", measure input level (should be -6dB from reference point as a double check) and measure Max output and other interesting parameters (the usual ones). Now you start increasing the input level to reference and as far beyond reference as you can safely go (maybe +6dB).
This will give us another dimension into a subwoofers performance that sweeps/mls tones cannot give.
The example test that I indicate here is pretty crude and not formalized, but it conveys the idea.
What do you think Ilkka? Is this something that you would be interested to do? Folks, what do you think?
Any suggestions? If there is enough interest.
My vote for the top 3 movies are,
1. WOTW (ground implodes/tripod emerges)
2. Flight of the Phoenix (plane crash)
3. Darla (tapping the fish tank).

-Jai

I like the idea but i think one movie should be Atlantis, yes I know its a cartoon but out of all the movies I have seen it is one of the best for testing, it is one of the movies I have been useing to test my subs since it came out. The opening scene is realy good overall test and the scene with the laviathan has incredible lows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 10:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
funky_waves wrote: View Post
I like the idea but i think one movie should be Atlantis, yes I know its a cartoon but out of all the movies I have seen it is one of the best for testing, it is one of the movies I have been useing to test my subs since it came out. The opening scene is realy good overall test and the scene with the laviathan has incredible lows.
Hi Funky waves,
Can you post the exact time stamp on this movie? Is it DTS or DD track that you like?
There is a whole bunch of other movies that are potential candidates, for example, Happy feet, LOTR, Eragon, IRobot, The Incredibles...etc etc, and if Ilkka agrees, we have to narrow down to 3 at the most, nothing more. Maybe we can start a new thread for this and get votes, for Ilkka to consider. Ilkka, what are your thoughts along these lines?
post #263 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 10:54 PM
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Quote:
Hi Funky waves,
Can you post the exact time stamp on this movie? Is it DTS or DD track that you like?
There is a whole bunch of other movies that are potential candidates, for example, Happy feet, LOTR, Eragon, IRobot, The Incredibles...etc etc, and if Ilkka agrees, we have to narrow down to 3 at the most, nothing more. Maybe we can start a new thread for this and get votes, for Ilkka to consider. Ilkka, what are your thoughts along these lines?
I will have to look when I get home, might be a few days. I don't have the test capabilities Ilkka has but I can do some, I will useing my 18"5400 in 300L with dual 6" ports tuned to about 17hz with a QSC PLX3602. after some sweeps and BFD tuneing I will be testing in room(28'x35' 8-12'ceiling) mostly with Atlantis,Iron Giant, Hitchhickers giude(new one), skycaptain and the world of tomorrow. Then I will probably want to watch every action/scifi movie ever made! lol

post #264 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 11:06 PM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
funky_waves wrote: View Post
I will have to look when I get home, might be a few days. I don't have the test capabilities Ilkka has but I can do some, I will useing my 18"5400 in 300L with dual 6" ports tuned to about 17hz with a QSC PLX3602. after some sweeps and BFD tuneing I will be testing in room(28'x35' 8-12'ceiling) mostly with Atlantis,Iron Giant, Hitchhickers giude(new one), skycaptain and the world of tomorrow. Then I will probably want to watch every action/scifi movie ever made! lol
Neither do I. Do you have a HP filter? If so, to what is it calibrated to? If not, has your sub ever bottomed out and how hard have you pushed it?
post #265 of 312 Old 10-07-07, 11:15 PM
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Quote:
Neither do I. Do you have a HP filter? If so, to what is it calibrated to? If not, has your sub ever bottomed out and how hard have you pushed it?
I havnt finshed my box yet I will have an adjustable HP avialable I may test with and without(carfully) I have only tested it free air. a few times, its fun
post #266 of 312 Old 10-08-07, 10:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure that it was the driver and not the PR's that were out of gas? I wouldn't seem to be too hard to over excursion those PR's with a 5400 and CE4000.
post #267 of 312 Old 10-08-07, 10:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Jai

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure that it was the driver and not the PR's that were out of gas? I wouldn't seem to be too hard to over excursion those PR's with a 5400 and CE4000.
Not a dumb question, since the PR was the first suspect. I video taped the excursions and it was the driver. I have never heard a PR bottom out and I think if it did, it would sound pretty different (there may not be a sound at all ?). The driver has a typical clank/snap sound when it bottoms out and it can be frighteningly loud on a hard bottom.
post #268 of 312 Old 10-08-07, 10:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Hopefully you all have noticed this thread.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ll-2007-a.html
post #269 of 312 Old 10-08-07, 11:08 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
Not a dumb question, since the PR was the first suspect. I video taped the excursions and it was the driver. I have never heard a PR bottom out and I think if it did, it would sound pretty different (there may not be a sound at all ?). The driver has a typical clank/snap sound when it bottoms out and it can be frighteningly loud on a hard bottom.
I assumed that you had ruled that out, but just didn't remember you mentioning it...

Illka,
Great job on getting the testing done and making us think it would be weeks still. I'm really glad that you included the Fathom as well. It will be a nice yardstick for the other subwoofers.

Can you give us a clue as to how you felt about the way the LMS systems performed? Perhaps with a single smilie, like this... or this...?
post #270 of 312 Old 10-08-07, 11:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Can you give us a clue as to how you felt about the way the LMS systems performed? Perhaps with a single smilie, like this... or this...?
How about :raped: ?

And those same smilies go as well for the Crown CE4000.