LMS-5400 buy-in - Page 30 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #291 of 312 Old 10-10-07, 01:16 PM
Noah

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

"If you heard the f113 one evening and the LMS, the next, can you tell the difference? If you heard a month apart? What if you heard them 2 months apart? How about 4 months apart?"

It would depend in large part on the listening level of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 312 Old 10-15-07, 10:10 AM
cixelsid

Quote:
DS-21 wrote: View Post
Interesting. I must admit some degree of..."disappointment" isn't quite the right word, but "underwhelmedness" isn't quite a word...with my Avalanche 18. (Condition shouldn't be an issue, as it was reconed by Fi before I ever saw it.) It's a great sub, but I was expecting a little more.
The original larger AA drivers had performance issues. Numerous people tested them to only find the T/S parameters didn't meet those published. Online conversations between DanW and Chad indicated the AA drivers had a rather 'generic' (read sub-optimal) implementation of the XBL^2 technology..

This information make one curious as to why anyone would favor the AA drivers over the newer offerings from other companies.
post #293 of 312 Old 10-15-07, 04:06 PM
Noah

DS-21,

I'm curious what exactly you found wanting in the Av18.

Are it and the JBL EQ'ed for similar freq response? Even then the room the JBL is in (smaller I presume for a 2nd system) could be giving it an advantage.

post #294 of 312 Old 10-15-07, 08:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
cixel wrote:
Numerous people tested them to only find the T/S parameters didn't meet those published.
Can you reference this, cause I recall people saying such things but basing it off of "thumping the cone with their finger" and "it sure didn't sound like 16hz Fs" It would seem to meet its parameters related to shaping a FR based on my own FR measurements - as for travel limits, I don't know.

Quote:
Online conversations between DanW and Chad indicated the AA drivers had a rather 'generic' (read sub-optimal) implementation of the XBL^2 technology..
I've seen these conversations and I came across with the impression that Dan didn't like the idea of a competitor who was using his technology to create a less exensive product with more displacement getting more favorable reviews from end users, so he started talking about how all XBL^2 implementations aren't equal. The notion from enthusiasts at the time was essentially why should they spend $600 on a 15" Tumult when they can get an 18" Avalanche for $400 which sounds better anyway. In the small and fickle DIY subwoofer driver market, you can't let a notion like that spread too quickly. Problem is (from my point of view at least), he didn't provide any measurements or specs related to either the Avalanches or Tumults.

It's kind of the same thing with the LMS drivers. Dan essentially talked them down quite a bit in his comparison of XBL^2 to LMS, stating several reasons for XBL^2 being superior, yet when Ilkka put the rubber to the road, the LMS performs significantly better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #295 of 312 Old 10-16-07, 12:06 AM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

Business is business Steve.

post #296 of 312 Old 10-20-07, 02:33 PM
Shackster
Larry

I realize I'm late to the LMS5400 party; any thoughts about organizing a group buy and having TC build some units? I was sitting on the fence because rumor had it that Deon was trying to organize something; next thing I know he had already parted company with TC. I suppose I'm just thinking out loud...
post #297 of 312 Old 10-21-07, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
any thoughts about organizing a group buy and having TC build some units?
I wonder if that could be a possibility? No more MDF though
post #298 of 312 Old 10-21-07, 10:45 PM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

All our efforts are on Audiopulse now. the 5400's are replaced with the Ultra's with some improvements to durability and power handling.
post #299 of 312 Old 10-22-07, 07:24 AM
Shackster

Shervin

Send a message via AIM to ssabripo Send a message via MSN to ssabripo Send a message via Yahoo to ssabripo Send a message via Skype™ to ssabripo

too bad Kyle.....because at those prices, the sales of the "ultra" will be few and far in between I'm afraid.

I remember when Deon (with my help) was trying to organize a group buy over at avs, but Bott shut my thread down....anyways, there was plenty of interest in getting a group buy of the LMS5400 18" at around $750 if we could get at least 20 buys.

If Thilo decided to throw something like that together, and sell some Ultras for say $800 if we could sign up 20 people, I think it will be a good success.

just food for thought.

post #300 of 312 Old 10-22-07, 07:47 AM
Shackster
Larry

If we could come in around the $750 mark I'll sign up for 2 - 4 units!

Larry

Quote:
ssabripo wrote: View Post
too bad Kyle.....because at those prices, the sales of the "ultra" will be few and far in between I'm afraid.

I remember when Deon (with my help) was trying to organize a group buy over at avs, but Bott shut my thread down....anyways, there was plenty of interest in getting a group buy of the LMS5400 18" at around $750 if we could get at least 20 buys.

If Thilo decided to throw something like that together, and sell some Ultras for say $800 if we could sign up 20 people, I think it will be a good success.

just food for thought.