Subwoofer driver buy-in poll - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which drivers would you like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen?
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 8 15.09%
Sound Splinter RL-p15/18 31 58.49%
Fi Q15/18 15 28.30%
Mach5Audio IXL-18.4 9 16.98%
Dayton RSS390HF/HO 12 22.64%
Something else? (post it) 11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

post #61 of 96 Old 01-22-08, 09:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Carlos replied to my e-mail and we are working on the details as we speak. I'll let you know asap as we agree on something concrete.
Great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 01-22-08, 09:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Ilkka, you've got yourself an interesting setup for evaluating sub drivers. You currently have two enclosures that would be suitable for testing the 18s and I don't know about 12 or 15s. I guess you could easily fashion a front baffle to hold the smaller diameter drivers while mounted in/on the same enclosures. You could make the box's volume smaller by adding bricks on the inside. Plus you have a couple of the best amps to drive them with while testing.
Looks like you got yourself another round of very popular tests to accomplish.
What are the 2 enclosures for testing 18's? Not the LMS ones? I think that the other 18's will be far from happy in 100L sealed and 200L tuned to 16hz. The generic, possibly interchangeable testing enclosure is a good idea though. 200L sealed and 400L vented would be better for the other 18's.
post #63 of 96 Old 01-22-08, 10:48 AM
Shackster
Itay

Quote:
vinculum wrote: View Post
I'll pledge $15 minimum toward the Acoupower 18" driver.

I'm very curious how this driver will perform compared to the LMS driver. And for a very good reason...

Dr V
Same here. I'm willing to donate 25$ for the acoupower.

I have the rl-p18 but I'm still very interested to see those drivers performance.

post #64 of 96 Old 01-29-08, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
Carlos replied to my e-mail and we are working on the details as we speak. I'll let you know asap as we agree on something concrete.
Carlos and I have been working on the details, and at the moment it seems that the Acoupower 18" test will happen. We haven't agreed on the enclosure design though. Carlos is recommending a larg'ish sealed enclosure or a higher tuned (like around 30 Hz) ported box, but I said that it is probably not what most people want. I am suggesting something like around 400 liters tuned to 15 Hz with an 8" port. What do you think?
post #65 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 04:45 AM
Senior Shackster
vinculum

Quote:
Carlos and I have been working on the details, and at the moment it seems that the Acoupower 18" test will happen. We haven't agreed on the enclosure design though. Carlos is recommending a larg'ish sealed enclosure or a higher tuned (like around 30 Hz) ported box, but I said that it is probably not what most people want. I am suggesting something like around 400 liters tuned to 15 Hz with an 8" port. What do you think?
Excellent! Bump me up to $20 donation.

Check out my build thread, I have a graph over there with the FR of your combination.

Dr V
post #66 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 05:44 AM
Shackster
Itay

the problem with the acoupower 18 in a LLT is it's high Q and FS - more
suited for pro applications or Sealed box. the 15 is a lot more LLT friendly.
post #67 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
Itay wrote: View Post
the problem with the acoupower 18 in a LLT is it's high Q and FS - more
suited for pro applications or Sealed box. the 15 is a lot more LLT friendly.
Is it really? For example 300 liters tuned to 15 Hz already starts to peak the tuning frequency area quite a bit.

When it comes to the 18", IMO its sweet spot would be around 400 liters tuned to 20 Hz using that monster 10" port. Around 115 dB from 20 Hz and up with only 1000 watts. Power compression should be extremely low.
post #68 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 08:31 AM
Senior Shackster
vinculum

Itay is correct. The higher Fo of 28.2 Hz makes the porting favor an approx. 20 Hz tune. The 15 is a little lower at 24 Hz. But for the minimal difference in price, the extra displacement of the 18" vs. 4 Hz lower Fo of the 15" , I still vote to test the 18". Don't forget that 1000 watts is really nothing to throw at this driver. It will easily take double that and with a 20Hz tune still produce some great SPL at 16Hz. Maybe an 18Hz tune would be a great compromise. The EBP favors a sealed alignment. Sealed, you can really put the power to it. In that graph in my thread, the sealed excursion just barely breaks 22mm. Its about 12mm at tuning in the others.

Dr V
post #69 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 08:34 AM
Shackster
Itay

Quote:
When it comes to the 18", IMO its sweet spot would be around 400 liters tuned to 20 Hz using that monster 10" port. Around 115 dB from 20 Hz and up with only 1000 watts. Power compression should be extremely low.
Although that's not a LLT it looks GR8 . however tuning such a high FS driver
to 15hz seems a bit too low.
post #70 of 96 Old 01-30-08, 10:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I think that 450L with 2 6" ports tuned to 17hz looks pretty good for the Acoupower 18".

Illka,
I'll send my donation when you put up the Paypal info.