Subwoofer driver buy-in poll - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which drivers would you like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen?
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 8 15.09%
Sound Splinter RL-p15/18 31 58.49%
Fi Q15/18 15 28.30%
Mach5Audio IXL-18.4 9 16.98%
Dayton RSS390HF/HO 12 22.64%
Something else? (post it) 11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

post #81 of 96 Old 02-07-08, 02:50 PM
Noah

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

"With the research that has been done by Harman and others showing how multiple LF sources having a very positive impact in smoothing rooms modal responses, the question isn't who can build the best $1k woofer, unless you have a lot of money to build 4 of them."

I agree, but note that two subs gave results nearly as good as four and is much more practical for most people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 96 Old 02-07-08, 11:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Chris wrote:
I know that drivers like this and the LMS TC sounds stuff capture the imagination of DIYers but I think that people are missing the point a bit. With the research that has been done by Harman and others showing how multiple LF sources having a very positive impact in smoothing rooms modal responses, the question isn't who can build the best $1k woofer, unless you have a lot of money to build 4 of them. Instead, four $250 woofers would be a better bet for that $1k budget. As engineering is really the art of doing the most with the least (and furthermore fits within the demands of the application from all other factors therein) these brute force approaches are not that interesting to me personally.
Absolutely. I don't get the mega bucks driver that requires a mega bucks amplifier that requires a dedicated 20 amp line approach unless one is absolutely strapped for space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #83 of 96 Old 02-08-08, 07:03 AM
Shackster
Larry

Valid points; however, we must realize this is a hobby and folks have different tastes. I believe it keeps the hobby enjoyable and engaging.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Absolutely. I don't get the mega bucks driver that requires a mega bucks amplifier that requires a dedicated 20 amp line approach unless one is absolutely strapped for space.

post #84 of 96 Old 02-08-08, 12:33 PM
Senior Shackster
vinculum

Compromise has many avenues. Some may be strapped for space, others may be strapped for cash. DIYers strive to do the best with what is available to them.
post #85 of 96 Old 03-05-08, 05:10 PM
Shackster
anidabi

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
And if the Maelstrom 18 (XJ-18) will be ready before my tests begin, it will also going to be tested.
I sure hope to see this thing at your subwoofer shootout. The final engineering sample parameters have been published and the production should start during april. So I guess it will not be in the spring shootout?

Here you can find the parameters.
post #86 of 96 Old 03-13-08, 04:09 PM
Shackster
Maq

I would like to see the Mach5Audio IXL-18.4 as well as the MJ-18 tested since these are both easily accessible in Canada.
post #87 of 96 Old 03-15-08, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

A bit late to this thread but I will have my word:

I wonder why we are making Ilkka's life difficult with so many questions/investigations. What is so hard not to understand?
Illka is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) subwoofer tester in the world, and he is young (BTW). Nevertheless he has tested so many subs and we all benefit from the results for free.

Now either you are willing to help, or you aren't. If you are, consider this money an encouragement to Ilkka for the unpaid time and efforts that he is doing exclusively for the shacksters, leave aside all the investment that has done in these tests as far as drivers/enclosures/shipping/transportation....

I don't give a care to my 40 or 50 bucks that I donate after the tests for a specific driver or whatever. Just consider it as an encouragement to Ilkka's tests. But the kinda "what will our money become when it is transformed into a sub" is not very ethical IMO.

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

Last edited by Blaser; 03-15-08 at 02:02 PM.
post #88 of 96 Old 04-02-08, 08:45 PM
Senior Shackster
vinculum

Ilkka,

How are we doing on acquiring an Acoupower driver for testing?

I just noticed there is a 15% off sale for Acoupower drivers for the month of April. A great time to buy if we have enough interest! I'll chip in a little more if it will make a difference...

Dr V
post #89 of 96 Old 05-18-08, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
vinculum wrote: View Post
Ilkka,

How are we doing on acquiring an Acoupower driver for testing?

I just noticed there is a 15% off sale for Acoupower drivers for the month of April. A great time to buy if we have enough interest! I'll chip in a little more if it will make a difference...

Dr V
I though we were progressing quite nicely but now Carlos haven't replied to my e-mails for a quite a long time. I don't know what's happening.
post #90 of 96 Old 05-18-08, 04:22 PM
Noah

I wish he would stop disappearing like that, it reduces one's confidence in support for the product being available if needed.