Subwoofer Tests Round 5, 6th of October 2007, Test Summary ***READ ME*** - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 71 Old 12-27-07, 04:11 PM
Shackster

Tex

Re: Subwoofer Tests Round 5, 6th of October 2007, Test Summary ***READ ME***

Once again, you have outdone yourself!!!! Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 Old 12-29-07, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
croseiv wrote: View Post
Why no 115 dB sweep for the Ultra? Just curious.
I tried it but the internal fuse blew right after the start (same thing happened during the AV Talk tests so I was sort of expecting it). Same thing happened during the 110 dB when using the sealed mode (at around 14 Hz).
post #23 of 71 Old 12-29-07, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Hi all,

I'm heading out on a short New Year holiday so I won't be online for a few days. But when I'm back, I will tackle all the questions regarding the subwoofers measurements you have made.

Happy New Year to everyone!

post #24 of 71 Old 12-29-07, 12:07 PM
Shackster
chuck

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
I tried it but the internal fuse blew right after the start (same thing happened during the AV Talk tests so I was sort of expecting it). Same thing happened during the 110 dB when using the sealed mode (at around 14 Hz).

Okay. Thanks for the info.
post #25 of 71 Old 12-31-07, 01:33 PM
Shackster

Darrell

Hi Ilkka,

Do you have the means to measure/record amplifier and sub output distortion at the same time. For your next round of tests, it would be informative to see how much distortion/compression the amp is contributing along side the sub measurements. It seems like the CSS 2xSDX15 had an unfair advantage in the latest round of testing since it used two CE4000s. Since it's impractical to use two amps with every sub, at least knowing a single-amp sub's input distortion would help interpret the overall results.
post #26 of 71 Old 01-03-08, 09:01 PM
jakeman
Inactive

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Hi all,

I'm heading out on a short New Year holiday so I won't be online for a few days. But when I'm back, I will tackle all the questions regarding the subwoofers measurements you have made.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Hi Illka

Trust you had a Happy New Year and a relaxing holiday. I was idling away some time today during my ski trip here in the Canadian Rockies and went looking for some spectral contamination charts for your latest sub tests and see you have not posted them. While I agree with you that the cross-section of charts does provide a pretty good indication of performance, I found the spectral contamination charts useful as all encompassing charts of distortion and noise.

As per your definition;
Quote:
Spectral contamination test will show all non-linear distortions and mechanical ‘self-noises’ (panel vibrations, driver motor noise, port noise etc.). Also the limiting circuits often became very audible during this test.
While many readers may not appreciate its significance, this chart does provide a very useful measurement of real time performance. Generally speaking, many larger subs at higher output can produce significant port or resonance noise and do not fair as well as other subs such as several sealed subs in this area. Accordingly, it would be useful information when comparing the relative performance at high output between these two types of alignment and also among vented subs.
post #27 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
allredp wrote: View Post
Which one would you buy for yourself, representing the best cost/performance ratio?
If looking at the commercial subwoofers only, the SVS PB13-Ultra stands out as having a very high cost/performance ratio. But then again it's physically quite large so it doesn't come without expenses. For example the JL Audio Fathom f113 represents another kind of approach: it's very small yet very powerful subwoofer. Then again it costs much more than the PB13-Ultra. Pick your poison, as they say.
post #28 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
rubbersoul wrote: View Post
I to am curious as to your personal opinion on the JL Audio Fathom 113....I happened to buy one a month ago and recently as Dec 23rd actually got to calibrate it and use it and I was blown away. It has everything I think a sub should be.
Feel free to sendind a PM.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

Frank
Quote:
tweakophyte wrote: View Post
Now... was the JLA's distortion that audible? In other areas people have compared that sub to the Ultra... now I am doubting their ears
I'll reply to these in the Fathom f113's own test thread.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-f113-new.html
post #29 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
darrellh44 wrote: View Post
Hi Ilkka,

Do you have the means to measure/record amplifier and sub output distortion at the same time. For your next round of tests, it would be informative to see how much distortion/compression the amp is contributing along side the sub measurements. It seems like the CSS 2xSDX15 had an unfair advantage in the latest round of testing since it used two CE4000s. Since it's impractical to use two amps with every sub, at least knowing a single-amp sub's input distortion would help interpret the overall results.
When it comes to commercial subs, it's not possible since I would have tear them apart to be able to access the speaker wires. DIY subs with external power amplifiers are another case; it would be possible to measure and record the amplifier distortion, and in fact I have some preliminary plans for this.

I wouldn't say the dual CSS SDX15 had an unfair advantage since it used two amplifiers. DIY means that one can use as much power as his wallet allows so I decided to see how far I could push those woofers. And as you can see from the results, the woofers became the limiting factor, not the amplifier power. Also remember that 2x power means only 3 dB higher output.
post #30 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
jakeman wrote: View Post
Hi Illka

Trust you had a Happy New Year and a relaxing holiday.
Thank you, John!

Quote:
While many readers may not appreciate its significance, this chart does provide a very useful measurement of real time performance. Generally speaking, many larger subs at higher output can produce significant port or resonance noise and do not fair as well as other subs such as several sealed subs in this area. Accordingly, it would be useful information when comparing the relative performance at high output between these two types of alignment and also among vented subs.
Both ported and sealed subs can (and usually will) start to sound stressed when pushed high enough. Whether this is port chuffing, amp clipping, driver noise etc, it's always not wanted and usually very audible. But neither me or the results I have measured won't agree that larger (ported) subs would be more prone to these kind of noises than small sealed subs. Instead of being a size or an alignment difference, it's usually noticed because some subwoofers have much aggressive and/or transparent output limiters than other subwoofers. Some subwoofers can be pushed several dB into compression without sounding stressed or outputting excessive distortion. Some others let the amplifier clip and/or the woofer excursion run out, and that will usually sound much worse than heavy limiting. In either case, the subwoofer is being overdriven and it isn't operating in its linear range anymore. If this happens constantly, you should buy one more subwoofer (or more if even two won't give you enough clean output).