Subwoofer Tests Round 5, 6th of October 2007, Test Summary ***READ ME*** - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 11:51 AM
jakeman
Inactive

Re: Subwoofer Tests Round 5, 6th of October 2007, Test Summary ***READ ME***

Hi Illka,

I found those spectral contamination charts to be another good indicator of sound quality. Its not all about overdriving the sub which should always be avoided. Extraneous noise can occur during normal levels. Those charts also reveal the amount of self noise, as you describe it, during normal operating levels. 90db multi-frequency stimuli should not cause too much distress yet the chart does reveal alot about non-linear behaviour and other noise. Those charts and the spectral decay chart are quite telling about performance.

Perhaps I just like getting into more of the detail but I believe that data will also add to your already excellent body of work. They would also be another unique reference since you have included them in your earlier tests
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 01-05-08, 08:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
If looking at the commercial subwoofers only, the SVS PB13-Ultra stands out as having a very high cost/performance ratio. But then again it's physically quite large so it doesn't come without expenses. For example the JL Audio Fathom f113 represents another kind of approach: it's very small yet very powerful subwoofer. Then again it costs much more than the PB13-Ultra. Pick your poison, as they say.
Excellent insight--much as I figured considering your test results, as well as, user reviews. Thanks for responding...

BTW, I have an F113 in my home right now--along with my own SVS PB12+/2 for comparison (it is a friends JL that I'll be helping him install next week ).

Interestingly, the +/2 dug a little deeper(the inaudible shudder stuff), but wasn't as impressive across the rest of the hz. I have the +/2 in 20hz mode and they have both been in the same room location. I'm running my Yamaha 1800 in pre/pro with my Sherbourn 5 x 200wpc amp.

My favorite demo scene is chapter 12 of The Island, which has all sorts LFE--from machine guns to explosions to score/sound effects galore. I haven't found a better test for the entire LFE range.

I'm going to boost them both a little more tonight and see how they respond (so far I've had them at -4db with the YPAO set sub gain).

At this stage, due to price, I'm really looking at the 13 Ultra, though the ARO and the size of the JL are really impressive!

What I really need to do is get a 13 Ultra and an F113 in my room at the same time! Hummnnn...

Thanks so much for your incredible work, Ilkka!!! You provide an invaluable service man!

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...
post #33 of 71 Old 01-06-08, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
allredp wrote: View Post
Excellent insight--much as I figured considering your test results, as well as, user reviews. Thanks for responding...

BTW, I have an F113 in my home right now--along with my own SVS PB12+/2 for comparison (it is a friends JL that I'll be helping him install next week ).

Interestingly, the +/2 dug a little deeper(the inaudible shudder stuff), but wasn't as impressive across the rest of the hz. I have the +/2 in 20hz mode and they have both been in the same room location. I'm running my Yamaha 1800 in pre/pro with my Sherbourn 5 x 200wpc amp.

My favorite demo scene is chapter 12 of The Island, which has all sorts LFE--from machine guns to explosions to score/sound effects galore. I haven't found a better test for the entire LFE range.

I'm going to boost them both a little more tonight and see how they respond (so far I've had them at -4db with the YPAO set sub gain).

At this stage, due to price, I'm really looking at the 13 Ultra, though the ARO and the size of the JL are really impressive!

What I really need to do is get a 13 Ultra and an F113 in my room at the same time! Hummnnn...

Thanks so much for your incredible work, Ilkka!!! You provide an invaluable service man!
The SVS PB12-Plus/2 and the JL Audio f113 have very different frequency responses, so without a doubt they will sound different if not using any EQ. The f113 is much flatter while the Plus/2 has a quite wide and large bump centered at ~40 Hz. A good parametric EQ will help the Plus/2 a lot.

post #34 of 71 Old 01-07-08, 08:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Quote:
The SVS PB12-Plus/2 and the JL Audio f113 have very different frequency responses, so without a doubt they will sound different if not using any EQ. The f113 is much flatter while the Plus/2 has a quite wide and large bump centered at ~40 Hz. A good parametric EQ will help the Plus/2 a lot.
Thanks for your hard work here Ilkka....
That is excellent info, I will be adding a second Plus/2 for my huge room, should be here this week, EQing with SMS and new firmware, Im looking forward to see how they measure out together... I'm also into a DIY with twin 15" TC2K's 320L each and can't wait to put them up against the Plus/2's. :raped::raped:

Would it be possible for you to do a measurement of the new firmware on the SMS to see what the results turn out ?

Exciting times to experiment with some really amazing subs these days !!
post #35 of 71 Old 01-10-08, 07:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Phil

Quote:
That's a good point; in fact, I've got 4 filters running through a BFD taming the +/2. I ran my informal tests with the SVS and BFD active against the F113 with ARO.

It was very interesting to feel the shudder of the really low stuff with the SVS, but not the JL; while the SQ of the F113 was appreciably better across the board, with the exception of the low stuff it couldn't produce...

Dali Mentor 8's/Mentor Vokal/Euphonia Phantom 5.1; Seaton Sound SubMersive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
; Sherbourn 7/2100A bridged 3 channels for 400+ watts to L/C/R & Onkyo 875 pre-pro & surround amp = Audio Nirvana!
Planar 7060 until JVC gets lasers figured out...
post #36 of 71 Old 01-12-08, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

I am a bit surprised that the latest round of results hasn't caused more discussion? Are the results so clear that no one cares to comment anything or are they too difficult to understand? There was a lot of discussion prior to the measurements about the LMS woofer etc, but now no one says anything about the results they got.

Do I have to start giving random points to the subwoofers in order to get some more traffic here?
post #37 of 71 Old 01-13-08, 02:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Well I think it's like we discussed in prior emails Ilkka - after the first round of testing DIY subwoofers, the cat was already let out of the bag in more ways than one. It confirmed the superior performance to cost ratio of DIY, that a large and low tuned ported subwoofer yields the best peformance, that bottoming in such an alignment is extremely difficult, that having more power is a good thing, and that many high excursion drivers have high Le.

After this latest round of testing, two new things were confirmed - LMS technology works as claimed and SVS has stepped up their game. SVS already has plenty of customers, so not much new to speak of from their results. As for LMS, the driver is very expensive, scarce, and implementation is even more expensive. You mention yourself that it would benefit from a larger enclosure (-5db at 20hz compared to 50hz), and it's not all that small to begin with, so where does a sub like that really fit into the equation? It falls into an odd category in my opinion.

But anyway, that's why I think there hasn't been much discussion.

post #38 of 71 Old 01-13-08, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Steve,

So basically what you are saying is that since now the LLT is "proved" to be the best thing since the sliced bread, there's no need to continue with these subwoofer tests anymore? I couldn't disagree more.

And I don't think the LMS-5400 falls into an odd category. Its performance in a 100 liter sealed enclosure in phenomenal. No other driver that I know of can have a similar performance in a such small enclosure. But since you won't agree to understand that not everyone want to have a 600 liter enclosure in their room, you probably don't understand why it's so extraordinary.
post #39 of 71 Old 01-13-08, 05:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Further testing will showcase the differences between drivers, and that is definitely beneficial, but it probably won't create the type of discussion that your previous round of testing did, as more "what if's" where being put to the test then.

We've gone over the size thing about 30 times, and I understand VERY clearly that some want or need to stick with small subwoofers. I am only aware of a very small number of projects using the LMS 18 though, and I can count the ones put into a small sealed enclosure using less than one hand. So does the price justify the ability to have one small enclosure that performs well? Proof is in the pudding.

post #40 of 71 Old 01-13-08, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

I believe there would be a lot more LMS-5400 projects on these forums if TC Sounds would have marketed it better. Similar measurements to mine would have boosted up the sales dramatically. Though IIRC they weren't able to keep up with the demand even now so it seems that they were selling a lot of them after all. Maybe the ones who bought them aren't the typical audio forum guys?