Bk Monolith-DF - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 08-21-06, 04:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Re: BK Monolith-DF

Quote:
Ayreonaut wrote: View Post
I visited the SVS showroom at their Ohio factory last week. I listened to all of their subs from the PB10-NSD to the PB12-Ultra/2. The big ones like the Ultra/2 were literally flapping my pant legs with infrasonic bass. I was impressed, but not overwhelmed. Why, you ask? Time response. Compared to my little sealed 10-incher at home, the big ported 12-inchers are slow and wooly. A look at the Impulse Response and Spectral Decay results above illustrate this very well.

I have discovered that lightning fast timing in a sub is very, very important to me. Wouldn't I prefer a sub that had more LF output than my current 10-incher? Yes, I would. But not at the cost of time definition. But that's simply my preference.
I feared that no affordable sub could deliver great timing and high output at low frequencies, but the BK Mopolith-DF graphed above seems to be able to do it all. I can't wait to set my ears on one.

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-22-06, 12:29 PM
dimitri

Quote:
This may be helped by the smaller European room.

Yeah I got one of those too.

And it's placed right smack in the corner, and I'm in the corner opposite to that.....

A bfd will probably do some good!!!, as I'm being launched off the sofa whenever something blows up.

Guess U-571 isn't an option pre-bfd.

dimitri
post #13 of 21 Old 08-22-06, 03:46 PM
Shackster
Thomas

Quote:
dimmie wrote: View Post
Yeah I got one of those too.

And it's placed right smack in the corner, and I'm in the corner opposite to that.....

A bfd will probably do some good!!!, as I'm being launched off the sofa whenever something blows up.

Guess U-571 isn't an option pre-bfd.

dimitri

If you have excess SPL you can always lower the tune and trade it in for some extra extension. The lower tunes also have a more shallow roll-off starting higher up and therefore the 35-20hz frequency range will be lowered a bit. I use my Plus in 12hz tune for music, and also for every day movie watching. If it's an action blockbuster I use 16hz tune, and if I'm trying to impress someone, 20hz tune.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-23-06, 01:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Since you have SPL to spare, try to get the sub out of the corner. If you can position it close to a quarter point away from the end and side wall, the room modes will be so excited and both FR and tansient response will improve. (This is true for rectangular rooms.)

FYI Americans: To have one shipped to Virginia by UPS International Expedited would cost 213 USD.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-23-06, 03:01 PM
dimitri

Quote:
Since you have SPL to spare, try to get the sub out of the corner. If you can position it close to a quarter point away from the end and side wall, the room modes will be so excited and both FR and tansient response will improve. (This is true for rectangular rooms.)

FYI Americans: To have one shipped to Virginia by UPS International Expedited would cost 213 USD.
Thanks for your input.

Moving it out of the corner will be difficult for the time being. because I have two little babies and I can't really get in the sweet spot of the room because we need all the space we can get. And we'll be in that corner for some time. I just hope the bfd will make those room modes and boom disappear, or at least make it better. My room is not really rectangular but kinda L-shaped. I'll add some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Bk Monolith-DF-dscf0082.jpg  

Bk Monolith-DF-dscf0083.jpg  

Bk Monolith-DF-dscf0084.jpg  

post #16 of 21 Old 08-23-06, 03:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Quote:
...the room modes will be so excited and both FR and transient response will improve...
I meant the room modes will be less excited. Oops!

post #17 of 21 Old 09-14-06, 06:08 PM
Senior Shackster
Russell

It may, or may not, be of interest, but BK are reknowned for their ability to accomodate requests not listed on their website. The only refusal, so far, was for a piano gloss black lacquer and that may have had something to do with the person asking for it.

Anyway, they have just supplied a passive Monolith DF to a forumite in the UK for £245. That's about $465. To put it in perspective, over here, that's just over half the price of a PB-10 and INCLUDES real wood veneer.

I haven't heard of anywhere they won't ship to.

Just a thought.

Russell
post #18 of 21 Old 09-14-06, 06:11 PM
Senior Shackster
edd

Send a message via MSN to eddthompson

that would be me (see post in sub forum)

edd
post #19 of 21 Old 10-11-06, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
russ.will wrote: View Post
Dunno where Ilkkas gone. Probably on a well deserved break from people flaming him, who don't understand that English is not his mother tongue and therefore that expression can get lost in the translation.

Russell
I'm right here Russel.

I've just really busy lately with all the other stuff, so unfortunately I haven't yet posted the comments on the results. But they are definitely coming. I will also post all the results from the previous rounds at the same time, so there will be lots of new stuff to explore soon.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-13-06, 08:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Russell

Cool.

Russell