Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   LMS-5400 buy-in (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/4652-lms-5400-buy.html)

Ilkka 09-07-07 10:01 AM

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

Quote:

jmcomp124 wrote: (Post 49850)
Hi Buddy,
I just got your email and sorry I have not been that active at avs or here since I have been so busy with work. So about the PRs, you do need more washers and TC did not send me enough and I had to request more. I stopped at our local Home Depot Store (a common store in the US) and they did not have washers that size.
I requested more from Kyle and he promptly shipped me more. I think you will need a lot more than 10, so bug TC to send you more. With the way things are going with them, I don't know how lucky you will be, but make a big noise as those folks should know better. What the while shipping overseas why not send out more washers. I hate it, when such things happen. In the meantime, can you come up with something creative about adding more weights? :nerd: It doesn't have to be washers you see !

Hi Jai,

Well here's what Kyle wrote me: "You can buy more washers at a hardware store, they should not be anymore than a buck each." :thumbsdown: I really thought that they would include washers up to 2500g as the webpage says/said. I'm not sure if I can find such washers locally.

Quote:

How is the CE4000 performing?
I haven't done any thorough testing yet because that fan is definitely too loud. I need to buy a quieter one asap. I tried it briefly without the fan, and the heat sink came pretty hot already during low level listening. That's kinda strange when thinking about its efficiency? :scratchhead: My other Class B amp (TA2400) can easily be used without a fan (not max power though).

Ilkka 09-07-07 10:02 AM

Quote:

jmcomp124 wrote: (Post 49851)
I used to lift heavy weights and turning that thing off the cone requires some serious torque. :boxer:
How did you do it? It took me a few tries before I got the sucker off. I had to replace a cone and VC that I misaliged becuase of not using a HP filter.

I just grabbed the frame and gave it a quick twist. :flex:

Ilkka 09-07-07 10:03 AM

Quote:

noah katz wrote: (Post 49855)
Ilkka,

"Regarding those passive radiators. Mine have only single 10" spider; someone over at AVS posted pics of his PRs, and they have dual spiders?"

IMO that's a good thing.

A little bit of cone rocking (which dual spiders are meant to prevent) won't hurt anything and the lower the suspension stiffness/Fs of a PR, the better.

Here's Kyle's reply: "Don't worry about the spiders. We added a second one to the last run because we're migrating a lot of stuff to car audio where they really abuse everything. If you're using 2 PR's per active then it should never be a problem."

jmcomp124 09-07-07 11:09 AM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 49895)
Hi Jai,

Well here's what Kyle wrote me: "You can buy more washers at a hardware store, they should not be anymore than a buck each." :thumbsdown: I really thought that they would include washers up to 2500g as the webpage says/said. I'm not sure if I can find such washers locally.

I haven't done any thorough testing yet because that fan is definitely too loud. I need to buy a quieter one asap. I tried it briefly without the fan, and the heat sink came pretty hot already during low level listening. That's kinda strange when thinking about its efficiency? :scratchhead: My other Class B amp (TA2400) can easily be used without a fan (not max power though).

You may want to try in the plumbing section of your local hardware store as there is a better chance of finding such large washers or nuts.
Yes, the fan is obnoxiously loud and that was the first mod I did. As I mentioned before, the SilenX fans have worked out pretty good for me. The amps did not overheat during movies but when left on overnight, at times (twice), in the morning I saw one of the amps go into protection mode (flashing red lights). It was also in the warm corner of the room.
These amps will bring out the full potential of your LMS. I would go very easy on the drivers without a HP filter. You know all the issue I had without the filter. The last thing you want is your woofer bottoming out on you. Since your tests are very controlled, I think you will find it's limitations very quickly and safely.

Ilkka 09-07-07 11:15 AM

Comparison to 15" TC-2000, which can't be called a small woofer either. Somehow it just becomes so small next to the LMS.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/ilkka/lms/lms_tc1.jpg

http://www.hometheatershack.com/ilkka/lms/lms_tc2.jpg

The LMS next to a standard Finnish 0.5 liter beer can. :D

http://www.hometheatershack.com/ilkka/lms/lms1.jpg

noah katz 09-07-07 02:38 PM

"If you're using 2 PR's per active then it should never be a problem."

I stick with my contention that it doesn't matter for a PR no matter how hard you drive it.

Scott S 09-07-07 05:09 PM

Im not sure if its been mentioned lately or not....

Are you still planning on picking up a Sound Splinter RL-p18 to test, Ilkka?

Ilkka 09-08-07 12:46 PM

Quote:

Scott S wrote: (Post 49935)
Im not sure if its been mentioned lately or not....

Are you still planning on picking up a Sound Splinter RL-p18 to test, Ilkka?

The RL-p18" test has been postponed. At the moment I simply do not have enough time. Hopefully next spring... :)

Adam321 09-08-07 07:07 PM

Too bad you didn't test the RL-p18 first. I would be more interested in that. THe LMS-5400 is unobtainable at the moment and who knows the future of TCsounds? Why drool over something that you can even get.

Iggster1986 09-08-07 07:10 PM

Quote:

Adam321 wrote: (Post 50037)
Too bad you didn't test the RL-p18 first. I would be more interested in that. THe LMS-5400 is unobtainable at the moment and who knows the future of TCsounds? Why drool over something that you can even get.

:hail::hail:
http://www.audiopulse.com/products/s...vers/lms-ultra

patience..... :waiting::whistling: