Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   LMS-5400 buy-in (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/4652-lms-5400-buy.html)

steve nn 05-11-07 12:44 AM

LMS-5400 buy-in

Since the LMS-5400 has been such a hot topic amongst many of us DIY'ers.. we thought why not take advantage of Ilkka's expertise and have a group buy-in for a single 18" LMS-5400 to be tested by Ilkka... Ilkka has agreed to such and I would think this should be most informative! Lets see what this driver has?

The details will need to be decided as we move along. It's a group participation kind of deal, so everyone has a/their say.

NEW INFO!!

I have some VERY good news.

With the help from my very special friend, I managed to arrange a cheaper transportation for the LMS-5400 18" driver. :kiss:

And while were at it, I also ordered two of their TC-VMP passive radiators - naturally 18". :bigsmile:

Now let me see those donations! Paypal account: irissane (at) REMOVESPAMlut.fi

Thus far I haven't got a single donation from the Home Theater Shack. What does that mean? Don't you want to see new and exciting drivers/subwoofers being tested? Without some support from you guys, my tests may not last very long. Think about that for a second...

Ilkka 05-11-07 12:58 AM

Re: LMS-5400 buy-in... Ilkka test Thread!

And I will drop $200 myself.

WillyD 05-11-07 01:04 AM

Just curious, how much extra does TC charge for shipping to Finland, Ilkka?

Ilkka 05-11-07 01:23 AM

Quote:

WillyD wrote: (Post 35972)
Just curious, how much extra does TC charge for shipping to Finland, Ilkka?

Depends of the weight. In the case of 75 lbs LMS, I'd guess something around $200.

RuneW 05-11-07 02:20 AM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 35973)
Depends of the weight. In the case of 75 lbs LMS, I'd guess something around $200.

Doesn't TC Sounds use FedEx only? Using the "shipping rate calculator" on the FedEx website I got closer to $400...:holycow:

Do you have a service ala JetCarrier (warning: swedish text) in Finland, Ilkka? It might be a much cheaper alternative (although it's by seas so it's slow...).

Just a thought...

Ilkka 05-11-07 02:35 AM

Quote:

RuneW wrote: (Post 35977)
Doesn't TC Sounds use FedEx only? Using the "shipping rate calculator" on the FedEx website I got closer to $400...:holycow:

I will try to get an accurate quote from TC-Sounds. Weren't they supposed to change to something cheaper when it comes to international shipping?

Quote:

Do you have a service ala JetCarrier (warning: swedish text) in Finland, Ilkka? It might be a much cheaper alternative (although it's by seas so it's slow...).

Just a thought...
Unfortunately no.

mike c 05-11-07 02:44 AM

is the 5400 even in stock? did Kyle guarantee its availability?

I wanted to buy one and couldn't even get anyone to quote me a price or give the time of day on its availability.

Sonnie 05-11-07 09:23 AM

Since this has more to do with Ilkka's testing, I think we should move it to his forum.

I will also announce this in the next newsletter that should go out in the next few days.

jmcomp124 05-11-07 10:33 AM

I will chip in $50.

Ilkka 05-11-07 03:23 PM

Quote:

mike c wrote: (Post 35980)
is the 5400 even in stock? did Kyle guarantee its availability?

I wanted to buy one and couldn't even get anyone to quote me a price or give the time of day on its availability.

It's not yet in stock. They have said it should be in stock in ~3 weeks.

ISLAND1000 05-11-07 03:24 PM

I'll donate an additional $50.00 I need to see this tested by knowledgable DIYers. Who will build the box/es?
1) sealed
1) vented
I recently ordered one and I am on the back ordered list. I intend to use a 6 cu ft sealed box with ELF and approx. 2000 watts for home theater. I'm looking for useable response down to 15Hz @ 100db

Ilkka 05-11-07 03:24 PM

Steve,

I think you should make a list of people who have promised to donate? That way we can see how much we have.

steve nn 05-11-07 03:53 PM

Quote:

I think you should make a list of people who have promised to donate? That way we can see how much we have.
Yes good idea, it's my intention to do so this afternoon. As of now we're looking at $350 so far. There were some pledges in the other Thread where all this started, that haven't been transposed over to this Thread. I'll give it a few days and then send some PM's to let them know the pledge will need to be posted over here if the interest is still there.

Whoops! ISLAND1000, what is your total pledge then?

Ilkka 05-11-07 04:07 PM

Quote:

ISLAND1000 wrote: (Post 36035)
I'll donate an additional $50.00 I need to see this tested by knowledgable DIYers. Who will build the box/es?
1) sealed
1) vented
I recently ordered one and I am on the back ordered list. I intend to use a 6 cu ft sealed box with ELF and approx. 2000 watts for home theater. I'm looking for useable response down to 15Hz @ 100db

As now we're thinking of building a single sealed box (around 5 cu ft). Later we might also try a larger PR box.

I will self build the box(es).

ISLAND1000 05-11-07 10:11 PM

I will donate a total of $50.00 regardless of the number of running threads. If I donate any more I won't be able to build my own. LOL Oh, AND I'll donate some of my favorite old mattress stuffing for the interior of the boxes. I can air mail that to Ilkka because of it's light weight.

ISLAND1000 05-11-07 10:21 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 36046)
As now we're thinking of building a single sealed box (around 5 cu ft). Later we might also try a larger PR box.

Ilkka, that's close enough to my own size decision to be able to understand the LMS-5400's behavior in a sealed box. Excellent!
I'm also interested to see how the factory T/S parameters/specifications compare to those of a delivered unit.

Ilkka 05-15-07 02:32 PM

We may have a green light regarding the discount. :bigsmile:

More info coming soon.

steve nn 05-15-07 02:55 PM

Quote:

We may have a green light regarding the discount.

More info coming soon.
Excellent!.. nice to hear Ilkka. I know I'll never buy one unless It's proven to me it's a worthy buy. :cool:

Ilkka 05-22-07 04:14 PM

TC-Sounds will give me more information about the discount after the backorders have been cleared out.

At this moment it looks like they will have to give us a pretty hefty discount... :no:

Drizt 05-22-07 11:51 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 36046)

Sounds awesome, can't wait for the results :) Been interested in this driver for a long time. Unfortunately I'm not financially able to assist, would like to if I had more disposable income.

Just curious as to why you chose 5 cu ft ??

From TC's site it suggests

Small Box
18LMS-5400
Type Volume
Sealed 3.8 ft3

Large Box (Low Extension)
18LMS-5400
Type Volume
Sealed 7.5 ft3

WillyD 05-23-07 09:37 PM

The 5400 doesn't need 7.5ft^3 for a nice low natural Q.

Ilkka 05-28-07 02:05 PM

Check the first post for new info!

ISLAND1000 05-28-07 07:03 PM

Re: LMS-5400 / RL-p18" buy-in

I'm currently modeling 1)TC Sounds 18" LMS-5400 2) 18"Cadence CW18-951-4 and 3) Soundsplinter RL-P18" in the WinISD. The three subs produce similar results under my "normal" listening conditions. I purchased and have used the Cadence speaker for a number of years and will be receiving my newly purchased TC Sounds sub this week for experimentation.
I don't have reason enough to contribute to experimentation on the Soundsplinter RL-P18". I could never justify adding that third high dollar sub. Having 3 of the most useable 18" subs ever produced would be way beyond my ability to comprehend. The TC Sounds and Cadence are enough for me to play with.
Phil

Ilkka 05-29-07 12:00 PM

I just got info from Mike. The RL-p 18" would be $421 (shipping included).

Anyone interested?

steve nn 06-01-07 05:02 PM

Looks like you've been busy br Ilkka! My $50 will stay in the pot if it comes down to the 18" RL-p.. no problemo.

Blaser 06-02-07 03:03 AM

Me too, for the RL-p18, 40 USD (net fees you would receive):yes: I think this driver will be very interesting as it would be the first choice for many...

Ilkka 06-02-07 05:44 AM

Quote:

steve nn wrote: (Post 38137)
Looks like you've been busy br Ilkka! My $50 will stay in the pot if it comes down to the 18" RL-p.. no problemo.

No no Steve, you got me wrong. The LMS-5400 will be tested. Although I haven't still got the exact shipping quote, I'm estimating we may already have enough money for it.

But since very few Shacksters have promised to donated, I thought to add the SS RL-p 18" in the mix. Mike gave us a very good deal ($421 including shipping) so here's your chance if you would like to see it being tested.

steve nn 06-02-07 06:26 AM

Quote:

No no Steve, you got me wrong. The LMS-5400 will be tested. Although I haven't still got the exact shipping quote, I'm estimating we may already have enough money for it.
Excellent!.. that's good news Ilkka.
Quote:

But since very few Shacksters donated, I thought to add the SS RL-p 18" in the mix. Mike gave us a very good deal ($421 including shipping) so here's your chance if you would like to see it being tested.
That's another question I have, except I think I already know the answer. That's a very good deal and one worth pursuing. Ad $25 to the 18" RL-p list from me then. You might consider changing the first post to reflect the new turn in events? This would be some very good information and two nice options to ad to your master list for many to take advantage of.:cool:

Ilkka 06-02-07 09:03 AM

Quote:

steve nn wrote: (Post 38195)
Excellent!.. that's good news Ilkka.

That's another question I have, except I think I already know the answer. That's a very good deal and one worth pursuing. Ad $25 to the 18" RL-p list from me then.

Thank you very much Steve! :clap: Though I would hope that especially people who didn't already promise to donate towards the LMS would open their wallets now... Come on, let's make the next measuring session better and bigger than ever before! :bigsmile:
Quote:

You might consider changing the first post to reflect the new turn in events?
Done.

Ilkka 06-15-07 05:26 PM

Some bad news. I finally got the shipping quote from the TC-Sounds: $534 (for shipping alone) for the LMS-5400 18"!! That's through DHL because USPS doesn't carry +70 lbs packages.

So unfortunately it looks like the LMS-5400 test won't happen.

I am going to order the SS RL-p 18" instead. Possibly two so that I could also try an IB setup. :) Would this interest some IB people?

crackyflipside 06-15-07 07:17 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 39574)
Some bad news. I finally got the shipping quote from the TC-Sounds: $534 (for shipping alone) for the LMS-5400 18"!! That's through DHL because USPS doesn't carry +70 lbs packages.

So unfortunately it looks like the LMS-5400 test won't happen.

I am going to order the SS RL-p 18" instead. Possibly two so that I could also try an IB setup. :) Would this interest some IB people?

Now how in the world are you going to test an IB???:dizzy:

WillyD 06-15-07 09:27 PM

Wow, that is an insane shipping quote. Definitely get that Rl-p instead.

steve nn 06-15-07 10:35 PM

$534, mmpf! Well I guess that takes care of that then. Ever think about moving to the States Ilkka:)

I think I'm going to move on to the SDX myself. There's something about that driver that keeps calling out buy me.

EDIT> I see you already have a couple SDX's on the way Ilkka. I'll be looking forward to your measurements and impressions. You know the thing weighs 49lbs, but it doesn't look like it has that much weight to it though? The magnet doesn't look as big as others we've all seen... I dunno?

Ilkka 06-16-07 11:22 AM

Quote:

crackyflipside wrote: (Post 39585)
Now how in the world are you going to test an IB???:dizzy:

I meant, test it in my room of course. :bigsmile:

Ilkka 06-16-07 11:24 AM

Quote:

steve nn wrote: (Post 39624)
You know the thing weighs 49lbs, but it doesn't look like it has that much weight to it though? The magnet doesn't look as big as others we've all seen... I dunno?

Yeah, 49 lbs seems a lot when considering that for example the TC-2000 is "only" 35.5 lbs...

Let's hope it is a good sign.

Ilkka 06-18-07 02:08 PM

LMS will happen after all!

I have some VERY good news.

With the help from my very special friend, I managed to arrange a cheaper transportation for the LMS-5400 18" driver. :kiss:

And while were at it, I also ordered two of their TC-VMP passive radiators - naturally 18". :bigsmile:

Even though the shipping was cheaper than $534, the total quote was still a pretty big pile of money. So if you wish to donate and support my tests, please do. :praying:

Thus far I haven't got a single donation from the Home Theater Shack. What does that mean? Don't you want to see new and exciting drivers/subwoofers being tested? Without some support from you guys, my tests may not last very long. Think about that for a second...

Sonnie 06-18-07 03:27 PM

What happened to all these?

Quote:

jmcomp124 wrote: (Post 36017)
I will chip in $50.

Quote:

ISLAND1000 wrote: (Post 36035)
I'll donate an additional $50.00 I need to see this tested by knowledgable DIYers.

Quote:

steve nn wrote: (Post 36042)
Yes good idea, it's my intention to do so this afternoon. As of now we're looking at $350 so far.

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 38192)
The LMS-5400 will be tested. Although I haven't still got the exact shipping quote, I'm estimating we may already have enough money for it.

Have you got enough money?

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 38192)
But since very few Shacksters donated, I thought to add the SS RL-p 18" in the mix.

Very few or none?

Quote:

blaser wrote: (Post 38182)
Me too, for the RL-p18, 40 USD (net fees you would receive):yes:

It sounds like you are running this in two places and some may have committed from there. Had you not ran it there and only ran it here, would they not have still donated? They are still Shacksters, are they not?

Ilkka 06-18-07 03:36 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 39925)

Very few or none?

It sounds like you are running this in two places and some may have committed from there. Had you not ran it there and only ran it here, would they not have still donated? They are still Shacksters, are they not?

I think we have a small misunderstanding.

Those "donations" you quoted, were just "promises", not actual money transfers. I hadn't even told my Paypal account at that point. And the calculations I made, were based on those promises, not actual money transfers.

So thus far I haven't got a single donation (=real money transfer) from Home Theater Shack(sters). That's the sad truth. :(

A few from our own Finnish forum, but not nearly enough for the LMS-5400.

Blaser 06-18-07 03:51 PM

Ilkka, I am holding my word whatever you are testing....I think we should all practically encourage you and not always wait for "free results". I will proceed within days

jmcomp124 06-18-07 04:03 PM

Re: LMS will happen after all!

Illkka,
That is awesome news. So are you going to build something similar to my setup?
Make it no larger than 7.5cu ft :) with 2 PRs :). A bit selfish here, but I am dreaming of seeing test results by you on my sub!!!!!
Think about it, 10 cu ft is a bit too large for most people. 7.5 like mine, now we are talking.

For others reading this thread, here is the reference
Jai's LMS 5400/Passive radiator design.
Thanks,
-Jai

Ilkka 06-18-07 04:04 PM

Quote:

jmcomp124 wrote: (Post 39933)
Illkka,
That is awesome news. So are you going to build something similar to my setup?
Make it no larger than 7.5cu ft :) with 2 PRs :). A bit selfish here, but I am dreaming of seeing test results by you on my sub!!!!!
Think about it, 10 cu ft is a bit too large for most people. 7.5 like mine, now we are talking.

For others reading this thread, here is the reference
Jai's LMS 5400/Passive radiator design.
Thanks,
-Jai

Jai,

I thought you might like this new turn.

Well it depends on how much you donate... ;) I recall you promising a full $100 if test a PR sub too?

I think around 7.5 cu ft will be good.

jmcomp124 06-18-07 04:05 PM

Quote:

Very few or none?

I just sent my promised donation to Ilkka :bigsmile::daydream:

jmcomp124 06-18-07 04:08 PM

Quote:

Very few or none?

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 39934)
Jai,

I thought you might like this new turn.

Well it depends on how much you donate... ;) I recall you promising a full $100?

I think around 7.5 cu ft will be good.

I just sent $50. If you run short, I will send more later :)

Sonnie 06-18-07 04:40 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 37669)
Update: I've got some donations from the members of the DVDPlaza forum. :hail:

The list so far:

steve nn $50
Ilkka $200
jmcomp124 $50
ISLAND 1000 $50
psysi $50
LuppoSu ~$67
prkl ~$27
Groke ~$7
kinks-58 ~$13
JaniH ~$13
Jeje2 ~$27
zekeman ~$75
jussi r ~13
-------------------
total ~$640

Yeah... I suppose there is a misunderstanding of sorts... I'm definitely confused.

I know at least 4 of the above are Shacksters:

steve nn $50
Ilkka $200
jmcomp124 $50
ISLAND 1000 $50

:bigsmile:

EDIT: So are you saying that this list does not reflect actual donations? It looks like you are saying they have already donated and they are all from DVDPlaza. I suppose that is where my confusion is.

Ilkka 06-18-07 04:50 PM

Quote:

Sonnie wrote: (Post 39943)
Yeah... I suppose there is a misunderstanding of sorts... I'm definitely confused.

I know at least 4 of the above are Shacksters:

steve nn $50
Ilkka $200
jmcomp124 $50
ISLAND 1000 $50

:bigsmile:

EDIT: So are you saying that this list does not reflect actual donations? It looks like you are saying they have already donated and they are all from DVDPlaza. I suppose that is where my confusion is.

No, Sonnie.

That whole list was based on what people had _promised_, not paid. When I did that list, I hadn't even posted my Paypal account. When I finally posted my account info, no actual money transfers were made.

I'm saying that some people promised a lot but delivered nothing.

Sonnie 06-18-07 05:29 PM

:T

crackyflipside 06-18-07 08:07 PM

Even though I rarely go to these forums, when I do it is usually to see Ilkka testing out subs. So here is $10; not much but every bit counts. :T

steve nn 06-18-07 08:49 PM

You mean because we say we're going to do something, we actualy need to follow through?:heehee: PM me your address Ilkka and I'll send you a M/O tomorrow. I need to keep this hidden from you know who until everything is ironed out. :) Anyway that's great news, really looking forward to it. After Jai built his, I'm back salivating over the LMS again.

Glad to see you aboard Chris, everything helps.

Geoff St. Germain 06-18-07 09:57 PM

$40 US minus whatever the fees are has been sent your way Ilkka. I am interested to see how this driver performs as it is one I would be quite interested in purchasing in the future if it is the monster it claims and seems to be.

Ilkka 06-19-07 02:59 AM

Quote:

crackyflipside wrote: (Post 39984)
Even though I rarely go to these forums, when I do it is usually to see Ilkka testing out subs. So here is $10; not much but every bit counts. :T

Thank you. Even $10 is better than nothing. :clap: