Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofer Tests - Archived (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/)
-   -   Subwoofer driver buy-in poll (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6959-subwoofer-driver-buy-poll.html)

Larry McConville 10-26-07 07:33 AM

Re: Avalanche 18" buy-in

Quote:

DS-21 wrote: (Post 56977)
People can certainly buy them. In fact, I did just that a couple months ago. Not new, of course, but I don't see how that changes anything.

I believe a 'currently' active/available product is an important consideration; although, I'm certainly curious to see how one performs. I second the Exodus XJ18; this is a new driver Kevin Haskins is developing utilizing XBL^2 technology.

Larry

DevilDriver 10-26-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Mike P. wrote: (Post 56903)
I'd be willing to support the Rl-p 18 and the Q18 and also the IXL-18.4. I'm not sure what point there would be in testing the Avalanche 18 since nobody can buy one. If it's XBL^2 that's needs further testing DIYCable.com is coming out with a 18 inch sub. To me it makes sense to test a product that people can buy.

:T

The XJ-18 is still a little ways away. If it doesn't necessarily have to be an 18" driver, the Tempest-X and Shiva-X will be out right away.

Ricci 10-26-07 12:37 PM

Re: Subwoofer driver buy-in poll

I voted for the RLP18D2 and the Q18D2. I don't really care about the 15's.

The other drivers that I would really like to see tested are one of the new RE Audio XXX's, (on paper they look like they can really do some damage in sealed boxes), and the Aurasound NS18.

Sonnie 10-26-07 05:24 PM

Remember guys... a vote indicates your willingness to contribute to the buy-in.

It would help if you would edit each of your post and indicate how much you can contribute so that Ilkka can keep a tally on the pledges.

Thanks... :T

toecheese 10-27-07 09:52 PM

Quote:

Ilkka wrote: (Post 56931)
Of course the chosen drivers would have to fit in a few similar enclosures (like one ~500 liter LLT and other smaller sealed). I'm not willing to build five etc. different enclosures for them, especially when most 18 inchers require a huge box.

I'd prefer them be tested IB- that way it is the speaker-only and no one can complain of box bias. Not all speakers are sufficient for IB use, but I think the ones you posted are.

Okay, I voted with the knowledge that it'll cost me $25 towards the test. However, I do this with the caveat that the speakers, once purchased, be part of future giveaways at the 'shack.

SteveCallas 10-28-07 12:33 AM

That's what I have wondered about - if the forum members pay for drivers, does Ilkka just get to keep them?

Ilkka 10-28-07 04:59 PM

Quote:

toecheese wrote: (Post 57441)
Okay, I voted with the knowledge that it'll cost me $25 towards the test. However, I do this with the caveat that the speakers, once purchased, be part of future giveaways at the 'shack.

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 57488)
That's what I have wondered about - if the forum members pay for drivers, does Ilkka just get to keep them?

I think there is a slight misunderstanding. The forum members don't pay for the driver(s), they only pay a small part of it.

You can't just look at the bare price for the driver. When you calculate all the expenses, the total price for each measured driver is WAY higher than the price for the driver itself.

Here's what you have to add for each driver (also any upcoming test):

-shipping (around $250-$300)
-taxes+duty fees (26.5% on the product price+shipping)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)

So when you add those to the driver price, you'll understand why I need these donations. And I haven't even calculated any price for my own personal work load. The enclosures don't show up on my front door. The subwoofers won't measure themselves. The results won't print out without me putting around 50-100 hours of work on them per each round.

So hopefully you'll understand that I'm slightly against the idea of donating the drivers to a Shack givaway...

And FYI, I got ~$290 worth of donations towards the LMS test.

Ilkka 10-28-07 05:13 PM

Quote:

toecheese wrote: (Post 57441)
I'd prefer them be tested IB- that way it is the speaker-only and no one can complain of box bias. Not all speakers are sufficient for IB use, but I think the ones you posted are.

There are some difficulties. How can one build an IB to a 2pi environment? In order to push the Fequal below 10 Hz, the baffle would have to be huge. Also the drivers wouldn't see much power, which means no thermal load.

SteveCallas 10-28-07 09:44 PM

You know what, forget the 15" DVC. If we really want to try a cheapo driver out, the Dayton Classic 18" might be even better.

noah katz 10-28-07 09:51 PM

"-shipping (around $250-$300)
-taxes+duty fees (26.5% on the product price+shipping)
-the enclosure (usually at least $150-200 even with bare BB)"

When you put it that way, it inspires me to offer $50 for an Avalanche 18.

What happens to our contributions if you don't get any contributions and/or you can't find one?